“Excellent place to Stay with Family”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent place to Stay with Family”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The room was divided into two sections like in an apartment. I had all the necessary household Equipments. My own kitchen, bathtub, spacious Queen size bed. The best room to stay would be overlooking the swimming pool. In the evenings the Manager organises a food buffet between 5 pm and 7 pm with free drinks. Unfortunately i was able to enjoy it only on one of the days. If you want to enjoy your stay you should visit with your family. It also has a well equipped gym and a business room. The morning breakfast spread was excellent. Big windows allow the sunlight to come in during the day.

Room Tip: Overlooking the swimming pool
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kimberly S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Aldonf,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your spacious suite overlooking the pool! I'm also happy you were so pleased with the breakfast buffet each morning! Our added amenities, particularly the complimentary breakfast and evening receptions are very cost effective when traveling with families! We hope the next time your travels bring you to Carlsbad we will have the pleasure of having you stay with us again!

Kim Shattuck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Sacramento, United States
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Front Desk personnel was not friendly, not customer friendly. On check in,first informed me my first card was decline and ask for a second card which got approved. On 3rd day of stay, I saw my on-line banking and found 2 days of charges from my declined card! I had to leave Legoland to settle this problem,asked for the manager, and he said he did but did not do any effort to do anything just kept answering phone calls. It took me to get the attention of the Housekeeping Supervisor and Assistant Manager to get the Manager's attention. And I lost 2 hours in my Legoland birthday treat for my son, did not finish up on it. And don't even care.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank Valerie E
Kimberly S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Valerie E,

I truly regret we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. I apologize for the erroneous authorizations placed onto the credit card you initially provided to us. It was an honest oversight that the credit cards were not switched and our system automatically obtained these authorizations. I have reviewed this incident with the front desk team as a training opportunity, as we are always looking for ways to improve our guest’s experience. When you contacted me from Legoland and brought the issue to my attention, we worked diligently to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. I understand your frustrations and apologize for the hardships this caused you while trying to celebrate your son’s birthday. Your satisfaction is truly important to us and we hope you enjoyed the gifts we sent to your room for the inconveniences. We hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our family of 4 (with 4 & 2 year olds) stayed for 3 nights in a 2 queen bed, 1 bedroom suite during the last weekend of Brick or Treat. The suite had a good amount of space but the layout was a little different than other Homewood Suites I've stayed at. The decor was newer and more modern but the kitchen and living areas seemed kind of tight and not as open as other locations. Althought the sofa bed is a great addition, it was not very comfortable to actually sleep on so the kids ended up in the beds.
It seemed pretty quiet at night but I can't say for sure because the fan was inside the bedroom, which we liked as it provided "white noise" for us to be able to have a better night sleep. Plus we brought our own white noise machine as well.

The staff were all fantastic. They were friendly & accommodating, especially Johanna. She was very upbeat, sweet, & just very pleasant overall.
The breakfast is the same as other Homewood Suites & Hampton Inns. Not great but a decent and very filling start it the day. They always offer an egg dish, home style potatoes, some sort of meat (corn beef hash, sliced sausage, or sausage patties while we were there). They also offered make your own waffles, yogurt, a variety of breads for toasting, cereals, oatmeal, pastries, and juices, & a coffee bar. This is all serve yourself- buffet. We never had issues with finding seats or getting food. Again quality is not that great but they offer a good selection & it's included in the price of the hotel.

The major pluses are, no additional charge for wifi, parking, & hot breakfast. A couple of downsides, not major, are:
Laundry room only had 2 washers and 2 driers so there may be a long wait dependent on whether you attempt to get some laundry done during peak hours (seemed to be 5pm-8pm). It would have been nice if they had more machines for the size of the hotel.
The cost of the 1 time use Tide detergent at their little "store" was 5.00! Now I understand there is markup but that is ridiculous. You can just drive down the street to Stater Brothers & buy your own & get a lot more.
The shuttle's last pick up from Legoland was much earlier than the special event close time of the park. The last pick up time was 7:20pm & I believe the park closed at 9pm for Brick or Treat so it would have been nice if the shuttle pick up time was extended a little later.

Overall, it was a great stay, excellent value & I would highly consider staying here again on our next trip to Legoland.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the 3rd floor away from the main street & elevators if you are a light s...
3 Thank Kate T
Carlsbad, San Diego CA, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My family stayed in two rooms of your hotel. The cleanliness of the rooms are very impressive. The staff are very accommodating, breakfast foods are very good. We got so lucky we celebrated my twin brother's birthday with our families in your place and generally we are very satisfied with our stay in your hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Kimberly S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Raphael Orlando S,

Thank you for your generous comments about our facility and amenities! I will be sure to share your review with our housekeeping and food and beverage department. They will be very pleased! I am very happy to hear that you not only enjoyed our property but were able to celebrate such a special occasion with your family at our hotel! We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you back to the Carlsbad, CA!

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at this property for 4 nights. All of the employees were very helpful and courteous.
Our room was a one bedroom suite. It was spacious and modern. Great full size kitchen.
I tried for 3 days in a row to get a small pot to cook in to use on the stove top. It seemed like a huge ordeal for something so trivial.
Our room was on the 3rd floor and faced the front of the building. Unfortunately it sounded the Indy 500 was taking place right at our room. The main road is out front. There were no other rooms to change to.
One front desk clerk told me they had never had a complaint about the noise in those front facing rooms. Really hard to believe. The planes flying overhead were nothing compared to the traffic/road noise.
The breakfast was great and very handy to have. It can be very busy and hard to find a table sometimes.
We checked out a few days early and moved to another hotel.
Good hotel, but rooms are better facing the side, or back of property.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the front or main road.
1 Thank L A
Kimberly S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear L A,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your comments and your feedback. I’m so pleased to hear you found our staff to be so courteous and enjoyed your spacious suite. I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced, particularly that the noise from the airport and main road were a disturbance to you during your stay with us. And I truly regret to hear you departed early due to it. We strive to ensure each of our guests experience a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We are always willing to relocate guests to another room they find more comfortable if necessary. We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the Carlsbad area. Please contact me directly and I will personally ensure you are assigned in a quieter location. My email address is CarlsbadGM@ih-corp.com or phone number is (760) 431-2266 ext 5442.

Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 26 October 2013

this hotel is in a great location for legoland or the carlsbad beach area. It is new and modern and clean. Very quiet rooms with lots of space. The front desk staff are great; especially anthony and paul. they make your stay enjoyable. the breakfast included every day is a great value added service. i stay here every chance i get.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Kimberly S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Imij,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments on TripAdvisor! Paul and Anthony will be so proud of your review and I will be sure to recognize them for their outstanding service! We do our best to make sure each and every guest have the same wonderful experience you had! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast as well! We hope your travels bring you back to the Homewood Suites Carlsbad again soon!

Kim Shattuck
Tempe, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Had a family of elephants above us and didn't sleep the whole first night. The manager in the morning did show concern about our stay so that was good but probably wouldn't stay there again. Although breakfast was complimentary and looked very good. It was all very low quality and I did expect better for one a Hilton and two the amount of the room.

Dear Barbara V,

Thank you for choosing the Homewood Suites Carlsbad and taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor . I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment during your stay with us, especially that the quality of breakfast did not meet your expectations for a Hilton hotel. We do rotate our menu daily offering a variety of breakfast foods in an attempt to meet all of our guest’s preferences. I hope that you will return the next time you are in Carlsbad and give us the opportunity to serve you in the future. Please contact me directly and I will personally assist you with pre-assigning a room to ensure a quiet and comfortable location. My email is CarlsbadGM@ih-corp.com or I can be reached at (760) 431-2266 ext 5442. Thank you again for your review.