“Last minute family vacation I won't regret!”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“Last minute family vacation I won't regret!”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Before choosing to stay here I read a couple of other comments on trip advisor about noise complaints and the maintenance which made me a little nervous. But due to time constraints and price we choose this resort. I definitely don't regret it!

The activity center and arcade room are really fun. My brother and I played foosball and air hockey, while my niece played ping-pong. There's also a jukebox that plays songs for free! The arcade games required money but my niece is still young enough to not know she's not really playing the game so we saved some change :]

We didn't go swimming because my niece was sick but all she would talk about is the mini water park every time we walked past the pool. (I found out later that the pool is heated though, 80-something degrees all year round.)

This definitely is the spot to be for families. But I would still come for a special occasion with my boyfriend because there are really romantic views when the sun sets and quieter sections of the property if that's what you want, like the adult pool versus the family pool.

I have already recommended this resort to friends and plan on taking more family there in the future for a legoland trip. We definitely made great memories at the Palisades and I hope you will too! :]

Room Tip: If you have kids, request a first floor. It's easier to get to the pool, activities, and game ro...
3 Thank K J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Finnish first
Moorpark, California
Reviewed 13 November 2011

1. People often forget that there is a BIG difference between a hotel and a time share property. This is one of those weird "its both" properties. If you REMEMBER upfront is a time share you won't be upset to find out that (a) there are no bell men, (b) you don't get daily maid service. You WILL be happy to find out (a) the suites have kitchens (b) the coffee makers are nice (c) you can get a suite for a reasonable price -- and its a REAL suite (e.g. - has real bedrooms).

2. For a time share, we found the 2 bedroom suite to be very nice. It was 2 completely seperate bedrooms along with a kitchen, small patio and large living room. The living room had a sofa with an adequate pull out bed (what pull out bed is NOT uncomfortable?! Right?).

3. The property is right next to Legoland - perfect if you are going there. It's also right next to the flower fields (pretty in season) and its NOT right next to a freeway (pretty hard to find in this area of North San Diego) - so that was great.

4. Beware of the every typical "resort fee" that these resort-ish type places all like to charge now -- that allows you to use the internet, parking, etc. Its often not included in your on-line fee -- but since I had done a last minute "priceline" bidding - it WAS included in ours. (Yipee!)

5. The Karl Straus brewery connected to the property is typical California micro-brew. Good "bier" and good food - better than the typical Denny's or such.

6. The breakfast buffet was great and VERY reasonably priced (kids were like $5.95! They lost money on my kids... ha ha). Adults were $12.95. It got VERY crowded the later it got - so I would suggest you go to breakfast earlier and avoid the crowds.

7. You can SELF PARK - so if you don't have to pay the resort fee -- and want to park yourself - you should try to do that. It's easy and not too far to walk (but ... remember, no bell men... so you gotta get your own luggage).

8. The kid's pool is nice - with a nice (kid filled) jacuzzi to warm up in. You will need it - as the "kiddy water park" is FREEZING COLD. But they ALWAYS are -- as its like running through the sprinklers/hose. There is no way to warm that water. (Just so ya know...!!)

9. I WOULD bring ear plugs -- as many other's note - the walls are kind of thin and you can hear others (often crying kids - coming home late from Legoland!) --

Hope you enjoy it!

Room Tip: They DO have ocean view rooms - pretty. They DO have one and two bedroom suites that are "real...
10 Thank Brenda C
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Stayed mostly for Legoland and the location is great. Unfortunately the hotel is not well constructed and you hear all noise from adjacent rooms. We stayed for a week and only had one uninterrupted sleep - when we went to Anaheim for the night. Bathroom fan in the next door unit @ 4am sounded like a Harley busting thru the wall. Kids screaming in the night... Then there was the smoke detector that was supposedly fixed but beeped every 30 secs from 1:30am onwards. Maintenance isn't a priority judging by the guest laundry & fitness centre. The saving grace of this place is the staff, but management needs to address the serious shortcomings.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank kathrynbf
Bermuda
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We stayed at the Palisades and Marbrisa on the same trip and of the two preferred the Marbrisa. The Palisades just felt a lot older and dirtier.

We were a bit disappointed that the children's water play area was taped off with caution tape when we arrived so when I asked that night I was told that some older children had broken something the previous week but that maintenance were working to get it back up and running. We were there for four days one of which was spent solely by the pool and not once did we see a single maintenance person in the area.

Staff seemed pleasant but we really didn't come across many during our stay and the children liked the games room.

Our room was fine but a little worn looking. If it had been the right time of year we would have had a great view of the flower fields.

I probably would not return as I liked the other hotel so much more but the stay was okay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank EMUP
OHIO
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed last week with my sister. We had a phenomenal villa (260). The place was gorgeous and every member of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful in every way! The furnishings were lovely and the amenities in the villa were endless. I cannot imagine a more beautiful and serene property. I would love to have the name of what they used to clean our suite - it was an amazing orange/lemon of some type. Although we spent our days at nearby beaches, we did use the adult pool area on day 1. It was huge and very beautiful. I took a walk over to the family/children pool area - wow! It was a resort in itself! The people working there are all so cheerful and welcoming. The pictures here do not do justice. This place is a must-see! Thanks, GPR!

3 Thank jerseygirlOhio
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 November 2011

The staff was helpful and friendly and we could watch the sunset on the Pacific without leaving our room.
I will definitely come back here soon.

2 Thank GregKelsey
hiawatha, ia
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Stayed here for business so didn't get to use any of the resort facilities. Would comment that is it clean, quiet and very well maintained property.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business