“Great Getaway!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stevenson Ranch, CA
“Great Getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time at your resort. The staff was wonderful and genuinely took care to welcome us and make us feel welcome. I have never been to a location where even the housekeeping & maintenance staff takes the time to greet you as you are walking to & from your room and asks how your stay is. Although this was a couple's getaway, I can see how this location caters to families with designated family areas (pools, spa, play areas). I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Adults only pool & spa. Great location, near restaurants and outlets! Definately will return!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Finnish first
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

Here I am on a 4 day stay at the Grand Palisades Resort….first visit to Carlsbad. It was only 5.30pm when I arrived into the Carlsbad, and since I had just arrived into the states from overseas only a couple of days earlier, I was still getting over my jetlag and was very much looking forward to a nice quiet and comfortable room where I could take a nice warm shower and just drop right into bed.

As soon as I arrived at the airport, the hotel’s shuttle van was waiting for me (I had previously contacted the hotel to arrange this), which was great. The driver was really nice, friendly, and greeted me as I identified myself. My bags were loaded, I hopped in, and off we headed to the hotel. Along the way I had a really nice chat with him about Carlsbad as I was actually here to look at new homes in the area.

Within a few minutes we reached the hotel and I checked in without a hitch. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and within minutes, I was finally in my room. Or was I? I thought something was strange as I don’t remember booking a one bedroom room Villa room, but oh well. I walked over to the sliding balcony door and it felt like the carpet was a bit damp, which probably explained the damp smell in the room. I wanted to request another room, but I was just too tired and decided to unpack and settle in. Took a nice warm shower and got into bed as I slowly started to doze off, but just before doing so, I was thinking to myself how I wished I could get another room. As they say, be careful what you wish for as it may just come true!

A couple of hours later I was awoken by someone jiggling the entrance door handle and trying to open the door. I just ignored it and figured they will go away. Seconds later there was loud banging on the door and some guy was yelling something. This really jolted me wide awake as I thought I was about to get robbed or attacked by some drunk guest! I then went over to the door and peeped out and just saw a couple with a baby, so I opened the door and asked what the problem was? They then called the hotel staff back, I’m not sure exactly what he said as I was still a bit groggy, but he apologized and told me not to worry about it.

I then went back to bed, and a couple of minutes later the phone rang. I was told that the room was actually booked for a family instead, and since the resort was fully booked, I had to give it up and they would give me the correct room in the Hotel wing. I have to pack and move in my condition?! So, reluctantly, I packed all my belongings and headed to the reception where they apologized for the mix up, we exchanged keys, and off I went searching for my new room for the night.

While making my way to the new room I thought to myself, I can’t believe they just did this to me! What a total inconvenience! Then it hit me. Wait a minute, this is exactly what I wished for earlier, and it came true! Wow! Anyway, I’m now in a much better room. No wet carpets, no damp smell. I’m happy. Now I’m not sure whether to give this hotel a 4-5 star rating or 1 star based on this incident.

Anyway, as some other reviewers also commented, the décor is a bit dated, but nevertheless still clean, quiet, and comfortable. The room is well equipped with a microwave, coffee maker, fridge, and a TV with lots of good channels to choose from. The best thing is the room WiFi is “complimentary.” Ok, perhaps not “complimentary” as there’s a $16 “Resort Fee” per night added on at time of check-in that covers use of the fitness center, WiFi, Shuttle service, self parking, etc. I haven’t yet tried the gym, pool, or on site restaurant (and not sure if I’ll have the time to during this stay), but from what I’ve seen and read, they all look and sound really nice.
The other very convenient point about this hotel is the location. Legoland pretty much just next door, the Premium Outlet stores just down the road, and the beach just a few minutes’ drive away. According to the shuttle driver, the complimentary shuttle will take us anywhere within a 5 mile radius, which I thought was excellent and very convenient. And all you had to do when you needed a ride back was to call them and they’d come pick you up. Another helpful bit of information good to know are check in and check out times as there's a $100 late check out fee. If I remember correctly, check-in at the Hotel wing rooms are at 3pm and check-out at 12 noon. Whereas, check-in for the Villa rooms are at 4pm and check-out at 10am.

All in all, I think this is a pretty nice hotel resort and definitely worth staying at for the location, comfort, and very friendly and helpful staff. It also helped that I got a great deal on the rates.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank TravellingBanana628
hollyansley, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Hello MrLuv2Travel,

Thank you so much for your review. I first of all want to apologize for what happened during the first part of your stay at Palisades. I am currently researching this scenario, so we can make sure this does not happen again. Secondly, I want to thank you for the overall nice review. Grand Pacific Palisades is really a great Resort and we do our best to make sure each and every guests have a wonderful stay. I sincerely hope you return and when you do, please contact me personally, so I know you are coming. I will make sure you get a Villa with dry carpets and a beautiful ocean view.

Take Care,
Holly Ansley
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

We spent 8 nights here in November 2012. It was a great experience. We had a 3 bedroom condo, and shared it with our son and his wife and 2 small children. The condo was quite large with a view of the ocean in the distance. Bathrooms were divided in both the master bath and the 2nd bath, so 2 people could use one bath at the same time.....very convenient. LOTS of towels were provided, and more were available if we wanted. Pool towels were at the front desk, but they did not make a fuss over how many you wanted. When finished, you just left them by the pool.
Kitchen is well equiped with lots of dishes, glasses and utensils. We ate in most nights as children are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2....difficult to take to a restaurant. Resort is very child friendly....all of the staff speak to the children and smile at them. You don't feel like you are being too loud or disrupting anyone.
Very close to Legoland. Very close to a very nice outlet mall, and the resort has a great water park. The family pool was heated and very enjoyable. It was open in the evening to enjoy as well.
We were given a list of activites at check-in, but most were appropiate for older children. The only reason I did not give a 5 star, was that some of the furniture in the living room was a little worn looking. It was VERY clean, but just worn. That was fine with us as we ddid not have to worry about children making a scratch on the table, etc. We might return next year....great vacation with children. Also, there is a beautiful adult pool, which we did not use....but very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Marco1701
Novato, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

One of the strengths of this place is the attitude of the folks that work there. Everyone is friendly, pleasant and helpful and responsive to ones' every wish. Make for a very nice time. THANKS! Look forward to another trip in a few months to see the 'flower fields.'

Room Tip: Try for an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Fallbrook, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Benjamin Franklin once said, "Well done is better than well said." Those words couldn't ring truer about our recent stay at the Grand Pacific Palisades in beautiful Carlsbad and the phenomenal customer service we were given by your Front Desk Associate Anthony as well as all of the other Hilton Team Members. From the moment we arrived at the resort, the resort's concierge Hillary directed us to team member Anthony and for obvious reasons...he is clearly the very epitome of the high class service one knows comes with the Hilton name as he took care of us right from the start. He treated us with respect, dignity and to be frank, like family which has inspired us to consider and look into vacation ownership more seriously within the near feature. Bar none, we had one of the best stay-cations ever at your beautiful Grand Pacific Palisades and it was really thanks to Anthony who made it all the more special. He even went out of his way to check on if my nine year old won the coloring contest and to give him a special prize for his participation efforts. My son was so happy by this incredibly sweet gesture as was I. That's why my husband and I know that we will be returning back to your fabulous resort because of your team members like Anthony who go above and beyond, who journey to the extra mile and make it their mission to welcome their guests home at the Grand Pacific Palisades.

Okay, so here's the details for fellow tripadvisor travelers. There are some considerable specials for booking at this resort either by going online to their webpage or seeking out their informational booths at Legoland and I believe they even now have one at the Carlsbad Premium Outlets. With these offers, you just can beat the value. My family and I were in the middle of a move and stayed at a lower grade inn in the Carlsbad area which was nice and offered daily continental breakfast, parking, wifi and housekeeping for about $50 a night (without tax). But this little queen room with sofa sleeper could never measure up to the the 2 bedroom villa we received for only $169.00 total for 4 days and 3 nights (which included a $100 gift card to Legoland--seriously you can never beat that). We even booked an extra night because we enjoyed this resort. Their specials change often and vary with the seasons, so do your homework and it never hurts to ask for a free or low cost upgrade. All someone can do is say "no", right?

So check-in is at 3:00 PM and check-out is at Noon. If you're in a pinch, you are more than welcome to drop your luggage off with the concierge and retrieve a bag claim ticket for when your accommodations are finally prepared. They also allow you to hang out at the pool in the interim or enjoy the other beautiful resort amenities while you're waiting. We were able to check-in as early as 1:30 PM, which was incredibly nice and made this more convenient for our stay.

We were given underground parking. Be cautious of the concrete pillars. I was backing out looking at my rear view back up camera and slightly dinged the driver's side door of our new highlander. None of us were hurt, but it's an important for people to just be extra cautious especially when backing out of these spots.

Our room, Villa C 162 was right on the first floor and was absolutely near everything you wanted to be at. At first I was concerned thinking I would be hearing loud noises, kids running up and down the pathways, etc...but nothing of the kind happened. In fact, the rooms in the resort are specifically designed to be noise-cancelling and they were extremely effective. We were right across from the laundry room, the arcade, the activity center and very close to the kid's pool, club fitness center, elevator and the front desk. Seriously this was one of the best spots in the hotel.

Now more about the accommodations. We had a 2 bedroom villa condo that included a kitchen, dining area, kids' room (1 full bed, 1 twin bed and 1 tv with closets, drawers and their own private bathroom entry), living room area, patio with lounge chairs (and a killer view of the beautiful Carlsbad ocean) and a king-size master bedroom with our own beautiful bathroom and tv. Since we did this during a move, this totally felt so much more like home because we had real dishes, a dishwasher, microwave, stove, real silverware, pots and pans, you name it, we had it. Plus we saved so much money by grocery shopping rather than eating out every night.

There isn't daily housekeeping unless you want to pay an additional maid fee of $35.00 per stay depending on your level of ownership. However, you can call the front desk and let them know that you want your trash and towels to be picked up. We were able to set these items outside our front door and they were almost always picked up immediately. Because we booked an extra night we were given one day of free housekeeping which came in handy for the beds to be made just right, and for items such as the bathroom sinks to be more thoroughly cleaned as my husband whose a former Marine likes it :)!

I actually even got sick during our little stay-cation and the hotel concierge sent up extra tissues to help me get through this killer cold. The staff and service you receive here at the Grand Pacific Palisades is really what makes this resort so special.

We did not use the fitness center but I did visit there on the kid's trick or treat tour. It was clean and there were pieces available for use. When we revisit and I feel more up to it, I'll definitely try out this awesome feature.

The arcade is really cute and geared for kids (both young and old ones like myself). There is a change machine centrally located in this venue which was also useful for getting quarters to do laundry.

Laundry is only $1.00 to wash and $0.75 cents to dry. Be careful with overloading though, because you will need to dry your clothes a second time if you put too much laundry in, like I did :)...oops!

The activity center was fun for my nine year old who enjoyed learning to play ping pong and beating me at air hockey. There's also a free juke box for your listening pleasure.

The hotel's walking paths are really nice but even nicer during the spring as they overlook the Carlsbad Flower Fields which are an incredible sight to see when they are in full bloom (best times are usually April through May).

On the hotel's website they do offer nightly packages that include daily breakfast buffets for up to 2 adults per room, however with our package we didn't get this feature so I can't really comment on how yummy those morning splurges are or would be. There was though free coffee, tea and popcorn in our room upon arrival which was extra special and much appreciated.

The resort activities are awesome. My son won a coloring contest and his drawing is presently hanging in the Activity Center. He felt so special with this nice win. Plus they had a special meet and greet with a raffle that we attended. Not only did we get free goodies such as cheese and crackers with fresh fruit and juices we actually also won the GRAND PRIZE of a 8 day 7 night stay in one of their one-bedroom villa condos. This was completely unexpected and I'm still on cloud nine that we won such a prize. I will say that the staff should be more cognizant of how many times people entered their name in this drawing. My husband and I were honest and only put our names in once unlike some other guests who were subsequently caught. One woman's name (who won a puzzle by a local artist for her first prize) was called a second time and she even traded the bottle of wine for the puzzle like this was some kind of upgrade. I'm not trying to complain here, but that really did leave a bitter taste in not just mine but a lot of people's mouths who were attending the function. I did think it was nice though for the host to have the kids draw the names. It was sweet seeing all of them up there! :)!

I know our stay was wonderful and I hope that more people enjoy what this wonderful resort has to offer its patrons. We will be visiting back soon!

Room Tip: Villa C, first floor rooms (162, hint, hint) is right across from the arcade, activity center, laund...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kimberly R
Vallejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

We were absolutely amazed by the welcome we received when we arrived . Everything was wonderful-from check-in to check-out. We were welcomed by a "gift" honoring our anniversary but most of all the absolutely fantastic view of the ocean and the amazing sunsets. We enjoyed the ice cream sundays and all the information on local events. We had a wonderful week. Thank you so much. We shall e returning!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Satellite Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

My friend Mary and I just went to Carlsbad, CA for a Girls Trip and had the most AMAZING experience at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort! Our 3 BR condo was clean, well stocked and had an incredible view of the Pacific Ocean and the Flower Fields. The resort is in walking distance to restaurants (we enjoyed Twenty/20 Grill's delicious food!) and shopping (the Carlsbad Outlets). In addition, the staff was so professional and friendly! Amanda, the Asst. General Manager, was wonderful and made us feel right at home and Clark, Rudy and Mona did a great job checking us in and out of our room and providing us with information about the resort. It was so nice to have a shuttle there also so we didn't have to drive to Miguel's for margaritas and the valet service is great! We even saw families having such a fun time at the pool with their kids and there's so much for families to do at this property! I will remember to tell my family :) We will definitely go back and ask for Room 259 as well!! We enjoyed it so much, my friend Mary wants to buy a condo to rent out there for vacations! We love California!!

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for a room near the hot tub and pool :)
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends