“Relaxing comfort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nevada
“Relaxing comfort”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We spent a week at the resort and really enjoyed it. We stayed in a two bedroom apt. that had a fully furnished kitchen, dining room table and 2 bathrooms. It slept 7 (two on the sofa sleeper). It was located on the first floor near 2 hottubs, the kids recreation room, arcade and laundry. Our room view was of the beautiful Carlsbad Flower Fields and as the week progressed a different field came into bloom. It was sensational. There were also the sunsets to enjoy while we used the properties fire pits to make smores. Anything we wanted (BBQ tools or games) were graciously provided by the hotel staff. The property also provided opportunities for games, basketball, shuffle board, bingo/pizza party, arts and crafts and of course the kid and adult pools. We spent some time off property at area attractions but really enjoyed staying at the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ocean side and if you can get it, the corner units (they are a little bit larg...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank awallacenevada
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Hi awallacenevada,

We're thrilled you chose Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel to spend your recent vacation. It sounds like you and your guests truly enjoyed our accommodations. The view of the Carlsbad Flower Fields is simply amazing, especially when the flowers are in bloom. We hope you had fun joining in some of the activities we offer as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon!

Holly Ansley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Finnish first
California
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed here because we signed up for a Hilton timeshare presentation. We did not stay in the villas we ended up staying in the hotel. The lobby is very nice and check in went smoothly. Though I would call ahead like I did to confirm the reservation. Luckily I did because they had us in the wrong room type. So when we arrived everything was taken care of. We unloaded the car and I went looking for our room. Went through a side door on the first floor looking for the elevator and could not believe the smell in the hall way on the first floor. It was like a mildew smell. My first thought was I need to get out of this hallway and I pray the rooms don't smell like this because if they do we will leave immediately. We found the elevator and went to second floor. The second floor didn't smell bad but it was a faint scent.

The room didn't smell bad at all. Thank goodness. I guess it's just in the hallways. The room was nice. It was clean and a nice size. Bed weren't that comfortable for us. A little hard for us. Glad it had a refrigerator and microwave. Bathroom was clean and large. It was an average room but I wouldn't call it luxurious. It also had a balcony with a small table and chairs. That was very nice. Also, our room didn't have an alarm clock. The only clock was the clock on the microwave. Also, the nightstand next to the bed didn't have a phone. The phone was on the desk. Most places I stay at have two phones; one by the bed and one on the desk. And wouldn't you believe someone called our room by mistake at 12am and I had to get out of bed to answer the phone. The floor/walls are thin. On our first night the person above us was pacing back and forth and then would hop. Maybe it was a kid doing it but it lasted an hour at 1 am. When I was about to call the front desk to complain they stopped.

Though we didn't stay in the villas we still had access to the amenities. The adult pool was nice. I believe on weekends kids can accompany their parents in the pool though. The kids pool and water play area was nice. My son had a good time. They have a playground area, a small game room where you can play ping pong and a basketball court. They also have bbq pits.

Overall our stay was ok. The good thing about this hotel/resort is that it is close to LEGOLAND and places to eat and shop. Don't know if I would stay here again though. The smell in the hallways of the hotel was not pleasant. When we checked out I wanted to see if the smell was still there. It was. Now it smelled like they tried to cover it with a lot of Febreze. I can't believe management hasn't noticed it Maybe they're used to it though.

I was told the villas were nice but a little dated. I believe the villas are being renovated to be brought up to Hilton's standards. Now when that happens I would come back to this property to try them. Hint: before booking ask for a renovated villa. If staying at hotel ask for top floor

Room Tip: Only 3 levels to the hotel. Ask for room on top floor because walls/floors are thin.
1 Thank necpix
Hi necpix,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. We're sorry to hear about some of the inconveniences you experienced during your visit. We apologize for the hallway allegedly smelling like mildew and will certainly make sure our maintenance team looks into this. We hope you and your family had a nice vacation overall. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future for a wonderful stay in one of our villas.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had three families meet up to stay here for a camp nearby our children were attending. The hotel is right across the street from LEGOLAND, easy to walk to. You cant see LEGOLAND when you are on the grounds so it isn't annoying to be so close.
Front desk and valet people extremely nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Hi andrea e,

Thank you for choosing Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel for your recent trip to Carlsbad. We hope you and your other guests had a wonderful stay. Come back to visit us again soon!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I just checked out of my room yesterday and I still feel like i smell! I checked into room 330 on the hotel side last week.The room smelled since we checked in and all throughout the week. My husband and I booked a "marketing package". These marketing girls told us we were going to have a great suite with ocean view, kitchen,that we were able to check in at 12pm etc etc. When we arrive, the receptionist informs us that check in for us is at 3pm and not 12pm like the concierge had told us! Nubia who was very helpful and patient with helping us check in was nice enough to offer us a room when we arrived and she even got us bell service witch Ryan was awesome as well. We go up and this hideous room it's not what we were told we were going to get! Where is the ocean view and the kitchen? (at this point we were in room 111) I went back down and spoke to Hilary and she said she couldn't do anything. That's all she could give me and I still had to go on this property presentation or I was going to pay the full price for the room! It is so disappointing to plan this trip for months and to know that in each confirmation call they've been lying to you. I go back to the front desk and a girl with long black hair (didn't catch her name) attends the desk and she said she couldn't switch the room because i was checked in already. (very rude tone of voice) As i was leaving very upset and disappointed Nubia comes from the back and asked how everything was going. I expressed my feelings to her and she told me with no hesitation that she could switch my room if i was able to wait until 3pm and that there would be no upgrade fee. She offered me restaurants in the area to go to lunch and activities to do in the meanwhile. Surely enough when i came back, room 330 was clean and ready for me and she had even told bell service to take my belongings to my room! This room had a much better view. Even though it smelled we had no other choice. The staff in this place really makes a difference. (well some) If it wasn't for Ryan, Matt, John and Nubia this trip would of been the worst!

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view you have to pay an upgrade fee to go to "villa C"
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Dedee R,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. We are terribly sorry to learn of how your trip first began. We understand your frustrations and appreciate your feedback, as it gives our property knowledge of ways we can improve our guest experience. We're thrilled that the members of our staff were able to change your stay around and that you had a good time. We hope that we can welcome you back again under much better circumstances.

Stafford, VA
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We are owners with HGVC, which apparently now owns this property, as we used some of our yearly points for 4 nights in a two bedroom apartment in mid-July and booked through our normal HGVC process. There is a HGVC desk in the lobby, but everyone checks in at the Grand Pacific Palisades Desk....except perhaps guests at the adjacent MarBrisa Resort (another HGVC property on site). Check is was easy enough...4pm check-in - we were a little early and couldn't check in right away, but were given a key to get in the pool areas and activity centers.

This property is quite dated and definitely does NOT live up to the typical Hilton Grand Vacations Club quality. We were told that there are very few refurbished units, and we weren't lucky enough to get one. From reading other reviews, apparently the updated units have washers/driers (ours did not) and new furniture, carpet, etc. Our unit, while spacious, was old and tired, but comfortable enough for our purposes. However, with the amount of money we spent on purchasing our HGVC points, this property definitely did not meet our standards. Grand Pacific Palisades might possibly be ok in a few years once all of the units are redone.

Lots of positives .... many negatives....

Pros:
-Walking distance to LEGOland + free shuttle service to the surrounding areas
-Free valet for HGVC owners - great service and super fast!
-The staff was GREAT -- everyone was happy and helpful at all times
-Two pools (one adults-only, except on weekends) and 3 hot tubs
-Large family of rabbits come out and munch on the grass during the day -- kids loved it!
-Room service was actually serviced by the on-site restaurant - Karl Strauss Brewery - the food was awesome and the prices were decent. Delivery was accurate and very quick!

Cons:
-The SINGLE biggest complaint -- the thermostat was programmed reset itself to 78 degrees every hour...so no matter how often we tried to make it cool in the room, the thermostat would go back up to 78 degrees -- we did not get a really good nights rest the entire stay due to the room simply being too hot.
- Very little breeze coming into the 1st floor, and when it did it only brought in our neighbor's cigarette smoke - disgusting
-Carpets were wet when we got into our room, we were told that housekeeping washes the carpets after every guest(? really ?) , but the bottoms of our feet were still super dirty after walking around the room for a while
-bathrooms DEFINITELY need to be updated ASAP
-no washer/dryer, even though there was plenty of closet space to put a stackable unit in
-we had a "premium" ocean view, but could BARELY see the ocean (which is about a mile away)...1st floor shouldn't be considered an ocean view - while the property's landscaping was excellent, it blocked the view quite a bit
-the bottled water left in the room was $4 per bottle!!! It was the premium "Voss" brand, which was completely unnecessary....I would MUCH rather have a few free bottles of the cheap stuff
-Pools have NO lifeguards or other staff...not too big of a problem for the safety aspect, but there were many parents with children there who did not pay any attention to what their kids were doing, so as my 3yr old daughter was trying to go down the small waterslide in the kids waterpark, many other kids were pushing her out of the way as they raced around and threw things at each other...can't really discipline other children at such a place, but how do you protect your own? Staff control would have been quite helpful.
-Pool areas were VERY dirty....trash and and hair everywhere...disgusting
-the bar at the adult pool was great, except that it closed at 6pm???
-Internet wi-fi, while free, was a joke -- if you bring a streaming media device (like a Roku), plan to spend a long while getting it to work (and good luck)

Overall, we will not consider going back to this property until we are assured that all rooms are updated.

Room Tip: We would not stay here unless we got a refurbished Hilton Grand Vacations Club room. Ocean-view roo...
2 Thank armyabn1
Hi armyabn1,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. We're sorry to learn of the disappointment you experienced regarding your room and our accommodations. Many of our rooms are currently undergoing renovations and we hope to have the rest of the resort up to date as well in the near future. We certainly appreciate learning of your concerns and will share this with the rest of our respective teams. We strive in making sure our guests are having a wonderful experience, and apologize if we fell short of that goal during your visit. We hope to welcome you back in the future once renovation is complete.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This property is out dated and in desperate need of repair. It was our first time staying there and maybe we just got a bad room, but I really wanted to check out the first night. We stay at numerous hotels and expect a certain standard when a hotel is rated so highly. We were very disappointed.

The minute we walked into our two bedroom suite it was horribly humid. The coffee table was upside down on the coach and the carpet was wet. The refigerator was not working (which we discovered was unplugged) and the oven was broken (never worked the four days we were there).

Most disturbing was the stained sheets on the master bedroom. They were clean, I think, but there was still a large stain. In the middle of the night we were woken up by a dripping sound in the bath tub. I thought the shower was leaking, but it was the AC overflow. It dripped all night. We tried to soften the drip with wash clothes.

Maybe our room was the perfect storm of events, but it was not worth the money we spent to stay there.

2 Thank Kristen L
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Hi Kristen L,

We regret to learn of the disappointment that you had with your stay at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel. We're terribly sorry to learn of the coffee table being misplace, the wet carpet, unplugged refrigerator, and the broken over. We are committed to providing our guests with exceptional service and accommodations. Your review certainly concerns us and we will be looking into this immediately. Should you wish to share any additional information regarding your stay, please contact us at hansley@gpresorts.com and or 760-827-3200 so that we can further discuss. Thank you.

My Best,
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I recently stayed at this property with my family, we stayed in a two bedroom condo. It was amazing, it had one of the best views from the room. The kitchen was fully stocked which was perfect for nights we didn't want to go out. THey had a seperate kids pool with a water play area. The staff was so friendly and helpful at every turn. They were constantly asking if we needed help with anything. The only way I could possibly explain this trip is by saying it was simply amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family