“Horrible check-in process, but otherwise an okay hotel.”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis
“Horrible check-in process, but otherwise an okay hotel.”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights recently. I booked a great package through the hotel that included two 2 day Legoland park hopper tickets, daily breakfast, and valet parking for $215 a night! Since we would be arriving early I called the hotel in advance to make sure we could pick up our Legoland tickets before check-in time. I was told that it would not be a problem and they would be waiting for us. Well, it didn't go quite that smooth. We arrived at the hotel around 10:00 am. There were 4 employees talking at the valet stand. Not one of them offered to park our car, take our bags, or even spoke to us until we asked them about the car.

When we finally made it to the front desk, the employee was equally confused. He checked us in and told us we couldn't get our room until later, which we expected. When we asked about the Legoland tickets, breakfast and parking he was clueless. He sent us to the timeshare desk. The time share representative tried to talk us into setting through a presentation for the tickets. We spoke to the front desk employee again and he spent the next 20 minutes going back and forth to his "manager" in a back room. At the end of the 20 minutes we had our parking passes and breakfast passes, but were told we needed to go to the activity desk for the tickets. After another 10 minutes we finally got our tickets and were on our way.

The hotel called us around 1:00 to let us know that our room was ready. When we made it back to the hotel, the key pickup was a little quicker than the check-in, but still seemed to take longer than one would expect.

Our room was nice. The room was clean, in good condition, and somewhat updated. There is a mini-fridge and microwave in the room. My only complaint about the room was the bathrooms. The bathrooms, while clean, were in need of a serious updating.

The hotel has two pools, one adult pool and a family pool in the time share area. The family pool is very nice. It is large and there is a very nice spray park area for the younger kids. They also have a nice size hot tub. The adult pool looks out over the flower fields and the ocean in the distance. It looked very relaxing.

As part of our package, we ate breakfast both mornings at the brewery onsite. For a buffet, breakfast it was pretty good. One day we ate towards the end of service hours and things were a little picked over, but on the second day we ate earlier and it was much better. I believe the adult price was $12.95 and kids $5.95. It seemed very reasonable for the amount of food and quality of food. We also had dinner one night at the restaurant during happy hours. The beers were excellent and everyone was pleased with the food.

The one thing that concerned me about the hotel was security. The stairway doors were unlocked on the outside of the building, allowing anyone entrance into the hotel.

We also continued to have issues with the valet parking. It seemed that they had one person doing both the valet and the activity desk. Many times there were long waits for cars because one guy was trying to do it all. The hotel either needs to hire a dedicated valet staff or do away with valet.

The hotel is a short walk to Legoland. If you are traveling to Legoland would recommend the hotel, with a similar package as I found, but expect a long checkin and make sure you know what was included in your package. We had to keep asking for every part of the package when we checked in.

3 Thank aorton
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hi aorton,

Thank you for your review. We are also really sorry to hear about your check-in experience. We also want to apologize for all the issues caused by the valet parking. We will definitely take into consideration all your feedback. Please know that we value you as a guest and all your feedback is important to us. Furthermore, we want to welcome you to share your concerns at dzwack@gpresorts.com and a member of our team will be in touch with you as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.
Holly Ansley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Finnish first
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Was a good hotel but didn't like that the kids couldn't go in the adult pool. It was close to Lego land.
It had fun kid activities. It had a good pool. Fun for kids. It had good service and atmosphere.

Hi Kim M,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by our pool policies. We hope you had a great time visiting LegoLand and come back soon for another visit!

wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Have you ever stayed at a hotel where the concierge makes a trip to buy a beach umbrella at a store, and then drives to meet you at the beach to give you the umbrella because they didn't have any available when you went to pick it up, because inconsiderate guests did not return them¿? that's what jackie did for us!!! Employees like her are invaluable. She has made, by far, this hotel, the best I've ever stayed at.
We also required housekeeping services at an odd hour. The 2 ladies that came were prompt, pleasant, friendly, and solved our issue.
You betcha I'd recommend it!!
We stayed with diamond resorts points, and were originally assigned to villa d, but it was talking too long to be ready, so we were moved to villa c. Much closer, great view.
Hotel is within walking distance from legoland.
If you go to the beach, the access near ponto rd is nice.

Room Tip: I recommend you ask for a condo with the bedroom in the back, for more privacy and less noise.
1 Thank WisconsinButterfly
Vienna, Va
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I decided to stay at this hotel because it is close to family and I am familiar with it, being a former San Diego native. I will never stay here again. The check-in process was the worst I have experienced at any hotel in the world. We got to the hotel at 2:00, knowing we would have to wait at the pool until 4:00 check-in time. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Thy have me my keys and explained that they would call with my room number as soon as it was clean. We went happily to the pool to wait for the call. At 4:00, we decided to head back to the lobby to see if they had just forgotten to call. The lobby was a madhouse with the front desk line being at least ten people long. I didn't really want to wait in that line because I had my two children with me. The valet we had spoken to earlier was extremely helpful and got on the radio for us to check the status of our room. He said they told him it was just waiting for a final inspection and then would be ready. We sat in the lobby for 40 minutes until I decided to ask again. This entire time there was a line almost out the door of people trying check-in and about 8 families waiting for their rooms also. I heard multiple people going up to the front desk to complain about the same situation as mine.
When I went back up to the desk after the 40 minutes and they told me the same exact thing! They were waiting for a "final inspection". We were supposed to meet family for dinner at the restaurant next door, so we ended up havin to go unshowered, hair unbrushed and in the same clothes we had been wearing earlier. We finally got a call at 5:47 that our room was ready. I am sure that MANY other guests were in the same situation as me. There was no apology for being so late. No explanation as to what happened. No trying to offer anything to lessen the annoyance.
Needless to say, I will never stay at this hotel again and would never recommend anyone to stay here either.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank GailGonz
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband's family belongs to Hilton time shares. We have vacationed as a family in several different " resorts" but this is BY FAR- the worst. We have three children, 10, 2 and ten months. My two smaller boys have both developed a nasty viral infection after arriving here. We actually took our two year old to a pediatrician in Carlsbad. He agrees that they probably picked it up from our disgusting room. I have killed one huge spider and three roaches since our arrival. I found a dental tooth pick in the pull out sofa bed while searching for a toy. The air conditioning sounds like a coffee pot brewing, but on steroids. One of the two toilets runs constantly! We have nails sticking out on the screen door which our baby discovered! We are on the first floor- the noise above and outside is absolutely ridiculous! The location is ideal for Lego Land... But honestly... How many times in a week will you take the family there? Carlsbad is beautiful- but do yourself a favor... Stay somewhere else!!! I will never come back to this property. I can't understand how it's rated so well????

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Caylorqueen1
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The first person I came contact was with Andrea. I made a call asking for a nice ocean view room. She immediately said no problem. I was a little wary about her being so eager so quickly. But when we all arrived,not only did we get it, I got it on the top floor. How nice!

All of the staff was super friendly. The facility and rooms were immaculate too. There were two pools, one for kids, one for adults. They were both very nice and comfortable. The adult pool occasionally had kids in it when the kid pool was closed, but it was at the end of the day.

The events that take place during the week were great for both adult and kids. My kids had fun winning stuff of course. The adults were served complimentary sangria/soda and snacks.

Overall it was a very good trip. A complimentary welcome breakfast was served and afternoon burgers and hotdogs was a nice addition. There is no restaurant on site. I really didn't matter because supermarkets were everywhere.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms but try to stay on the 3rd/top floor as its the best view
Green Features: I'm not sure, but I do believe they had recycle bins in the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ravi P
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi Vincelamar,

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We're also happy to know that you and your family had fun participating in the activities and enjoyed the snacks available. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future for another fun-filled family vacation!

Ketchikan, Alaska
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The staff here was very friendly and helpful. The rooms (3 bdrm) were very nice. The master suite was very comfortable. Had trouble with the air conditioning and maintenance was right on it and corrected the problem promptly. Very centrally located, San Diego attractions all very cloe (Sea world & zoo)

2 Thank Ak_Steve
Hi Ak_Steve,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the master suite and that our staff was able to assist you with everything you needed. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!