“Amazing Rooms”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I cannot say how impressed I was with this hotel. Wow. The room was AMAZING. I really hate hotel beds and never get any sleep when I travel. I slept like a baby while I was there. Such comfortable beds and linens. The room was large and the deck was really nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The area is beautiful. I cannot wait to have to opportunity to go back here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeni L
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hi Jeni L,

Thank you for your review. We are beyond content that you were impressed with your accommodations. It is great to hear that you found the beds very comfortable and were able to get a good night sleep. We hope you come back soon for another visit. See you soon!

Holly Ansley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The resort is located within walking distance to Legoland and a short drive to the beach. We arrived for check-in a little before 4:00 p.m. however our unit wasn't ready until 5:30 p.m.. Stayed in #256; a two-bedroom unit with ocean views from the balcony. Overall the unit was O.K. but a few draw backs included no room safe or washer & dryer. There is a king size bed in the master bedroom, however the second bedroom is furnished was a small double bed and one single bed. The resort also charges a $16 a day fee, which includes parking and the internet connection. There is a Karl Strauss Brewery restaurant on-site/adjacent to the resort.The resort has two swimming pools. The main pool behind the lobby is for adult use only. The Family Water Park has a swimming pool & spa, small "splash park" and a playground for small children. There is also an Activity Room for the kids, a BBQ park, fitness center and laundry facility. The bath towels in our unit were exchanged and our trash was emptied twice during our one week stay. The service at GPPR was very good.

While my wife and I were ambivalent about our stay, our grandkids really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: The units in Building "C" have balconies with ocean views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sceneisle

Hello sceneisle,

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with all your feedback. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We do hope you had a great vacation with your family. Thank you for making us a part of these moments. If there is anything that we can do to provide better service in the future, please let us know at dzwack@gpresorts.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Yeah, not excellent, not bad, just "nice." Pros were the in-room fridge, microwave & Keurig coffee maker, as well as being walking distance to Legoland. Cons were the hard sell on going to the 2 hour "let me sell you a time share" spiel for free Legoland tickets which we didn't attend and the lack of luxury. I'd stay there again if we were going to Legoland, but not for a destination getaway.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Lizontapps
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights recently. I booked a great package through the hotel that included two 2 day Legoland park hopper tickets, daily breakfast, and valet parking for $215 a night! Since we would be arriving early I called the hotel in advance to make sure we could pick up our Legoland tickets before check-in time. I was told that it would not be a problem and they would be waiting for us. Well, it didn't go quite that smooth. We arrived at the hotel around 10:00 am. There were 4 employees talking at the valet stand. Not one of them offered to park our car, take our bags, or even spoke to us until we asked them about the car.

When we finally made it to the front desk, the employee was equally confused. He checked us in and told us we couldn't get our room until later, which we expected. When we asked about the Legoland tickets, breakfast and parking he was clueless. He sent us to the timeshare desk. The time share representative tried to talk us into setting through a presentation for the tickets. We spoke to the front desk employee again and he spent the next 20 minutes going back and forth to his "manager" in a back room. At the end of the 20 minutes we had our parking passes and breakfast passes, but were told we needed to go to the activity desk for the tickets. After another 10 minutes we finally got our tickets and were on our way.

The hotel called us around 1:00 to let us know that our room was ready. When we made it back to the hotel, the key pickup was a little quicker than the check-in, but still seemed to take longer than one would expect.

Our room was nice. The room was clean, in good condition, and somewhat updated. There is a mini-fridge and microwave in the room. My only complaint about the room was the bathrooms. The bathrooms, while clean, were in need of a serious updating.

The hotel has two pools, one adult pool and a family pool in the time share area. The family pool is very nice. It is large and there is a very nice spray park area for the younger kids. They also have a nice size hot tub. The adult pool looks out over the flower fields and the ocean in the distance. It looked very relaxing.

As part of our package, we ate breakfast both mornings at the brewery onsite. For a buffet, breakfast it was pretty good. One day we ate towards the end of service hours and things were a little picked over, but on the second day we ate earlier and it was much better. I believe the adult price was $12.95 and kids $5.95. It seemed very reasonable for the amount of food and quality of food. We also had dinner one night at the restaurant during happy hours. The beers were excellent and everyone was pleased with the food.

The one thing that concerned me about the hotel was security. The stairway doors were unlocked on the outside of the building, allowing anyone entrance into the hotel.

We also continued to have issues with the valet parking. It seemed that they had one person doing both the valet and the activity desk. Many times there were long waits for cars because one guy was trying to do it all. The hotel either needs to hire a dedicated valet staff or do away with valet.

The hotel is a short walk to Legoland. If you are traveling to Legoland would recommend the hotel, with a similar package as I found, but expect a long checkin and make sure you know what was included in your package. We had to keep asking for every part of the package when we checked in.

3  Thank aorton

Hi aorton,

Thank you for your review. We are also really sorry to hear about your check-in experience. We also want to apologize for all the issues caused by the valet parking. We will definitely take into consideration all your feedback. Please know that we value you as a guest and all your feedback is important to us. Furthermore, we want to welcome you to share your concerns at dzwack@gpresorts.com and a member of our team will be in touch with you as soon as possible. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Was a good hotel but didn't like that the kids couldn't go in the adult pool. It was close to Lego land.
It had fun kid activities. It had a good pool. Fun for kids. It had good service and atmosphere.

Hi Kim M,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by our pool policies. We hope you had a great time visiting LegoLand and come back soon for another visit!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Have you ever stayed at a hotel where the concierge makes a trip to buy a beach umbrella at a store, and then drives to meet you at the beach to give you the umbrella because they didn't have any available when you went to pick it up, because inconsiderate guests did not return them¿? that's what jackie did for us!!! Employees like her are invaluable. She has made, by far, this hotel, the best I've ever stayed at.
We also required housekeeping services at an odd hour. The 2 ladies that came were prompt, pleasant, friendly, and solved our issue.
You betcha I'd recommend it!!
We stayed with diamond resorts points, and were originally assigned to villa d, but it was talking too long to be ready, so we were moved to villa c. Much closer, great view.
Hotel is within walking distance from legoland.
If you go to the beach, the access near ponto rd is nice.

Room Tip: I recommend you ask for a condo with the bedroom in the back, for more privacy and less noise.
1  Thank WisconsinButterfly
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I decided to stay at this hotel because it is close to family and I am familiar with it, being a former San Diego native. I will never stay here again. The check-in process was the worst I have experienced at any hotel in the world. We got to the hotel at 2:00, knowing we would have to wait at the pool until 4:00 check-in time. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Thy have me my keys and explained that they would call with my room number as soon as it was clean. We went happily to the pool to wait for the call. At 4:00, we decided to head back to the lobby to see if they had just forgotten to call. The lobby was a madhouse with the front desk line being at least ten people long. I didn't really want to wait in that line because I had my two children with me. The valet we had spoken to earlier was extremely helpful and got on the radio for us to check the status of our room. He said they told him it was just waiting for a final inspection and then would be ready. We sat in the lobby for 40 minutes until I decided to ask again. This entire time there was a line almost out the door of people trying check-in and about 8 families waiting for their rooms also. I heard multiple people going up to the front desk to complain about the same situation as mine.
When I went back up to the desk after the 40 minutes and they told me the same exact thing! They were waiting for a "final inspection". We were supposed to meet family for dinner at the restaurant next door, so we ended up havin to go unshowered, hair unbrushed and in the same clothes we had been wearing earlier. We finally got a call at 5:47 that our room was ready. I am sure that MANY other guests were in the same situation as me. There was no apology for being so late. No explanation as to what happened. No trying to offer anything to lessen the annoyance.
Needless to say, I will never stay at this hotel again and would never recommend anyone to stay here either.

• Stayed: July 2014