“We had an AWESOME stay!!”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

First off, I'd like to say: "I don't know why ANYONE would give this place a bad review". My family and I had an amazing experience at this resort!! From the moment we pulled up in front we were already amazed at how beautiful this place was. We were immediately greeted by very friendly hotel employees. Check-in was quick & smooth...we were offered a room with a view of the ocean right off the bat...I was thrilled!! I love the Ocean! As soon as we received our room keys we slid to the next employee (Mona) who kindly showed us on a giant map all the restaurants and other areas outside the resort where we could go. She told the kids that they could participate in a scavenger hunt and told them if they found the Lego poster boards to write down all 5 words they find and once they did they could come back to the desk for a prize! She even gave us a coupon for a complimentary appetizer at a Mexican food place called Miguel's (although we never did go), but still the gesture was very much appreciated. I had heard read that this place tries to sell you on a timeshare resort called Marbrisa. She made what she had to say short and sweet and we kindly said "No thank you". She didn't try to push or anything. Next we drove down to the underground garage and found parking close to the elevator. They had luggage carts right by the elevator so it made it very easy to haul our luggage to our room. We were on the first floor at the end of the hallway with an ocean view. It was amazing once we walked in. The room was a bit smaller than expected, but it was still amazing!! They were nicely decorated and the bathroom was really big! We even had a small patio with a table and chairs to sit and enjoy the view. Once we were all settled in we went to explore the resort. Its huge!! Not only did it offer breath-taking views but it was all nicely decorated...it made me feel like I was in paradise! The adult pool area was very nice, the pool was big and the hot tub was a very decent size. It was open to kids that day, but we found out on the weekends that they let kids in too. No biggie though...although I'm sure most people would have a cow. After that we went in search of the kid area. Although it was closed it looked very nice with a water area for kids to play in (not just a kiddie pool). They also had an activities center, ping pong tables, a play park and an area to BBQ at. Not only is it a hotel, but they also offer villa's as well. I'm sure they are just as amazing inside as our little room was. They were doing some construction, but we never heard it. After we were done exploring, we went back to our room to get our swim suits on. We went back to the pool (the front desk had really nice big pool towels). We certainly enjoyed watching the sun go down over the ocean from the pool area....it was breathtaking! Our next day we walked to LEGOLAND. It was only a 10 minute walk....that is exactly what I wanted! I did not want to pay for parking at the park. We stayed a total of 3 nights and we enjoyed every single one!! We even cut our 2nd day short at LEGOLAND to go back to hotel!! My family and I will definitely come back!! I would love to stay in one of their villa's next time...great job Grand Pacific Palisades!!! You made our stay a very welcome one!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Clarson730

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Room wasn't ready till almost 5pm. Unfriendly staff and the condo we stayed in looked like a motel 6 with a small kitchen. The day we wanted to not sight see and use the pool, was the day they decided to clean it and shut it down. Way over priced for a resort! Will never stay there again nor will I recommend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Natalie G
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is nice, across the street from Legoland and close to the wedding destination. I found it a little pricy and the a/c was noisy. But all in all a nice place to stay. I would stay again but for family's it may be a little to expensive.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve H
Holly A, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hi Steve H,

Thank you for providing us with your review. We are happy to hear that you are content with your stay. We hope you had a wonderful time at the wedding. We also encourage you to visit our website for promotions and offers. Till next time!

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel because of all the activities and facilities it has to offer most especially for families. It's also a good walking distance to Legoland. However, I was not able to avail of all the activities since I wanted to concentrate more on sightseeing and amusement parks. I also was disturbed that we were only given a few amenities for four people in our family. Also, our door to our bathroom was broken and the room itself is old. Not worth the price.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank acruz21

Hi acruz21,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with all your feedback. We apologize that we did not provide you with more guest amenities and that you experienced some problems with your room. We encourage you to contact our front desk during your future stay with any concern that you may have. We would be more than happy to provide you with some assistance. We also hope to welcome you back for a much more pleasant stay.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I cannot say how impressed I was with this hotel. Wow. The room was AMAZING. I really hate hotel beds and never get any sleep when I travel. I slept like a baby while I was there. Such comfortable beds and linens. The room was large and the deck was really nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The area is beautiful. I cannot wait to have to opportunity to go back here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeni L

Hi Jeni L,

Thank you for your review. We are beyond content that you were impressed with your accommodations. It is great to hear that you found the beds very comfortable and were able to get a good night sleep. We hope you come back soon for another visit. See you soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The resort is located within walking distance to Legoland and a short drive to the beach. We arrived for check-in a little before 4:00 p.m. however our unit wasn't ready until 5:30 p.m.. Stayed in #256; a two-bedroom unit with ocean views from the balcony. Overall the unit was O.K. but a few draw backs included no room safe or washer & dryer. There is a king size bed in the master bedroom, however the second bedroom is furnished was a small double bed and one single bed. The resort also charges a $16 a day fee, which includes parking and the internet connection. There is a Karl Strauss Brewery restaurant on-site/adjacent to the resort.The resort has two swimming pools. The main pool behind the lobby is for adult use only. The Family Water Park has a swimming pool & spa, small "splash park" and a playground for small children. There is also an Activity Room for the kids, a BBQ park, fitness center and laundry facility. The bath towels in our unit were exchanged and our trash was emptied twice during our one week stay. The service at GPPR was very good.

While my wife and I were ambivalent about our stay, our grandkids really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: The units in Building "C" have balconies with ocean views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sceneisle

Hello sceneisle,

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with all your feedback. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We do hope you had a great vacation with your family. Thank you for making us a part of these moments. If there is anything that we can do to provide better service in the future, please let us know at dzwack@gpresorts.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Yeah, not excellent, not bad, just "nice." Pros were the in-room fridge, microwave & Keurig coffee maker, as well as being walking distance to Legoland. Cons were the hard sell on going to the 2 hour "let me sell you a time share" spiel for free Legoland tickets which we didn't attend and the lack of luxury. I'd stay there again if we were going to Legoland, but not for a destination getaway.

Stayed: August 2014