“They don't care much for babies - disgusting mattresses”

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Santa Monica, California
“They don't care much for babies - disgusting mattresses”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My family has happily stayed at La Costa several times, including Easter, Halloween and Christmas Eve, but this last visit made me reconsider ever staying there again. During our Christmas vacation, a baby mattress was sent to our room with several tears, stains, and rusted air holes (still produce mattresses with air holes?) I called for a manager and spoke to Matt, who promised he would send the best mattress he had, apologized, and offered free breakfast. All this occurred late in the evening - bedtime - while my one-year-old son slept on the bed. Two baby crib mattresses were sent to our room, both had extensive damage; tears, holes and stains - worse than the first. No one would let their child sleep on those mattresses. No one. I was up all night, as I had no choice but to have my baby sleep in bed with us. Really makes me sad and disappointed.
We asked the person who brought the replacement mattresses to our room to take the entire crib out since it was unusable. I had hoped Matt would've followed up, after all, he did promise his best mattress and seemed truly concerned, and must've known the mattresses we were offered were even worse than the first, but we never got a call. Nor have we heard back from anyone at Omni, who was sent photos and should've received them a week ago. It's just so disappointing. If La Costa thinks babies don't deserve something better, I can only imagine what lurks under the covers of all the hotel mattresses. My biggest concern is that these mattresses have been rejected by other guests, yet the hotel doesn't seem to care enough about our children to do something about it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank takenoteon
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear takenoteon: We really appreciate the feedback you've shared here. As you know from your visits here, we're a family-friendly resort and we work hard to make parents' vacations as relaxing as possible. The experience you had is not representative of our service standards and I apologize that you had this experience. I'm checking to verify that we did receive the note you mention here and we'll certainly follow up with you directly. In the meantime, we really do appreciate that you've taken the time to share your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Very solid 4-star experience; but not luxury, plus a few other minor "issues" below, so not 5-star.

Facility underwent an upgrade when it was purchased by Omni. Overall it is quite nice. Nothing negative to say about the appearance or cleanliness of the facility.

VERY friendly service. The quality of the service stood out and is something I'll remember. I apparently missed the sign that valet was $25/day, and they were kind enough to remove it from my bill.

The rooms are nice. Not amazing. But nice. Bed wasn't the most comfortable in the world, but no complaints.

My only two "issues" were the spa, and the general lack of things to do/places to hang out.

Spa: I'm well aware that resort spas have inflated pricing. That you pay "for the experience" and so on. BUT, at the very least they should provide high quality massages. I get massages on a regular basis and both my wife and I, who had a couples massage, felt that these were average massages AT BEST. I paid an extra $5 for "deep tissue", but there was no deep tissue. I came out feeling like I had been lightly rubbed with lotion. Again, I'm ok paying a lot for the spa experience, but I expect a $165 massage to be better than the $40 massages they have on Convoy st.

What to do: When I'm at a resort I'm used to having places to go and sit, other than in my room. La Costa did have a nice little lounge with live music, which we enjoyed for a bit. And they do have a sports type bar; again, both nice options. BUT, resorts tend to attract kids. Or even people like me who don't drink. We couldn't find a single place to go and relax, so we ended up hanging out in the room. For how cold it was it would have been nice to have a place to sit by a real fire. Or maybe have the heat lamps out...and on!

I don't want to discourage anyone from going. I hope you go and enjoy your stay. But we won't be going back. Not for the $750 we paid for one night's stay with dinner and massages. Not worth it to me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Timothy L
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear TimothyL: Thanks for selecting our resort for your getaway and for your kind remarks about our beautiful facility and very friendly service. In terms of things to do here, it sounds like we should have done a better job of communicating with you before and during yours stay. At this time of year, our resort offers 152 things to do each week and a team of Experience Planners to help our guests plan a memorable and customized stay. I wish we could have done a better job of steering you to some activities and really appreciate that you've taken the time to share your review here. Thank you.
carlsbad, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The resort was very well kept, the villa we stayed in was very comfortable and had all the amenities like home. And the staff was amazing and very friendly. Omni la costa is also a dog friendly resort.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear BonnieP: So glad you felt right at home here during your stay. We can't wait to welcome you and your dog for a return visit!
san francisco, ca
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We were upgraded to a Villa and had a great time. I had read some critical reviews of the hotel but our stay was wonderful all the way around. Beautiful room, grounds. Great service and food. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
brighton, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

we had such a great stay!!! An upgraded room overlooking the golf course and what a great view!!! next time I'm staying longer,2 nights was not enough for the enjoyment and the activities on the resort....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Nicoletta S
Dear NicolettaS: Thank you for sharing your comments on your great stay and the views you enjoyed while here. We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay next time!
Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent NYE at LaCosta and were very disappointed with the lack of an event that the whole family could attend together. Diversions was for over 21s and the concierge seemed to think it was okay for us to just send our kids off to the kids party while we adults did our thing. We always spend NYE at a hotel and this was the first time we were expected to split up as a family or amuse ourselves. Because of this, we will not come back to LaCosta next NYE. My wife has knee problems and can not walk far. I specifically phoned several weeks ago before our arrival and requested a room as near to the main reception area as possible within our room range. I was assured that this would not be a problem. However when we checked in we were given a room quite far away whereas our able bodied friends, who checked in 20mins before us, were give a room much nearer. This just seemed very sloppy. None of us like the shower/ bathroom layout. It lacks privacy, especially for those traveling with their families. We tried to book a cabana but cancelled it when we heard that there was a $250 min food and beverage purchase required. We book cabanas often and this is extremely excessive for anywhere other than South Beach. We noticed that many of the Cabanas were unoccupied on the day we had originally booked for and wondered if you had really done the math as to wether this was the most profitable way to utilize them. All-in-all, our friends and I decided that we would only return to LaCosta when taking advantage of heavily discounted offers and never again for NYE.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank Ngozi O
Dear NgoziO: Thank you for speinding your NYE holiday with us and for taking the time to share your comments. I am sorry that the evening's programming wasn't a good fit for your family and your feedback is helpful for our team. We appreciate that you've taken the time to share this with us.
Redondo Beach, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Spent two nights at this peaceful resort. Highly recommend for a spa getaway. Thoroughly enjoyed spa facial and massage and lounging at the spa pool. Lunch a the spa cafe was healthy, tasty, and served to us as we relaxed in our robes poolside. The waterfall massage in the spa pool area is excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Dear ColleenG: It's wonderful that you were able to take time for a peaceful spa getaway. We can't wait to welcome you back again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Beach Terrace Inn
#3 of 36 in Carlsbad
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,297 reviews
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!