“Dreamland”

Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Omni Resorts delivered a wonderful experience for us. A beautiful resort with all the ammenities within walking distance. Love the feel and comfort of the place. One can stroll around easily, play and have some serious relaxation at this wonderful resort. The service staff are super friendly, always willing to return a friendly smile or greeting.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Omni La Costa Resort & Spa

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful property. The grounds are gorgeous and landscaped and maintained beautifully.
The rooms are average. They are not plush, and the decorum is "Spanish" to match the feel of the property. Beds are nice! Bathroom was basic, and only had a stand up shower--no bath tub. The doors on the bathroom were louvered, which does not provide privacy. There were some room service trays in the hall for two days.
The coffee shop is nice, and has good breakfast and sandwich options. The cafe has a nice outdoor area, and I enjoyed lunch there, overlooking the golf course three days. I was not disappointed--three of the best meals I had while in carlsbad. The sea bass lunch special is one of the best sea bass meals I have ever had! We were there for a week while my husband attended a conference. The two banquet dinners we attended were average.
My experience at the spa was average. My massage was nice but I was not impressed with the spa area and treatment rooms. I would not even consider it in the same class as the spa at The Homestead which is one of their other properties. The outdoor courtyard area of the spa was very nice and relaxing.
The first day we were there, the pool area was a wonderful experience despite the crowd. The resort was close to capacity due to the conference, so it was sometimes difficult to find a vacant seat at the pool. After the first day we were there, the poolside bar was not open. There were only two waitresses for both the inside sports bar and the pool area. They were struggling to provide food and drinks for the pool area, as they had to go inside to the sports bar for each drink. That was ridiculous given the number of guests there. We had to wait up to an hour for drinks! I complained to the food and beverage manager, but he didn't seem to care. He simply stated they were not staffed adequately and did not even apologize! This problem continued the rest of the week. It seems they would have staffed the area better and at least opened the pool bar. They knew the conference would almost fill the resort to capacity, and should have planned accordingly. The manager did not even attempt to help the waitresses who were working so hard--he sat and watched the disaster continue! This is not the quality I expect from an Omnibus resort. It was more a hotel instead of a resort experience. We were so disappointed that we checked out early. We were scheduled to stay two days past the conference but moved to another resort for those two days.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank GboroMomGoes
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My girlfriend and I loved the stay and will most definitely be returning, we loved the food the atmosphere and the quality of the grounds and room I will absolutely recommend to friends and family and whomever asks that this is a must see

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Daniel P: Thanks for your kind review. So gratifying to hear you and your girlfriend loved Omni La Costa and that you're recommending it as a must see! We hope to welcome you again soon for another visit.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

the place is just extraordinary add and amazing 7 days stay the staff is wonderful the food is amazing the location is perfect i also recommend get a room with balcony if not you will regret it and make you feel at home thank you La costa and to the Chopra Center for making this experience one in a life time

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband had a business conference at La Costa and myself and our teenage daughter went also. I am not sure of the price and maybe I would be more critical if we paid a lot of money but we had a great time! The grounds are breathtaking and staff plentiful and helpful. We had mani pedis and it was nice, I thought it would be a little more luxurious but it was fine. I was impressed with the assortment of exercise classes, we took lots of walks in the beautiful neighborhoods surrounding the resort.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Five star dining at a 3 star price! Service at every restaurant is absolutely perfect! Everything is fresh and served perfectly. Front desk personnel are very helpful, and the rooms were slightly outdated, but very clean. The parking can be a nightmare but the valet and bell staff are very helpful in making sure you are headed in the right direction. The pools and spa are very courteous, and the spa is very clean and relaxing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Since this hotel is part of the Omni family, it did not even occur to me it would not be close to perfect.
Maybe it's me, but seeing a trail of dried-up white paint drip on the saltillo floor leading to my room hinted that I may have been mistaken.
I visited this hotel as part of a wellness retreat.
Thus, I headed to the Spa to make reservations for treatments. Much to my chagrin, the SPA closes at 6:00 pm on most days, and thus the persons attending conferences during the day cannot benefit from the spa services.
What I have to object to the most is that in spite of its 5 pools, this hotel does not have a lap pool! They catered to little kids with splash areas but forgot about the adults that peacefully want to swim.
For a spa hotel, the excess of kids may be a tad too much. Perhaps that had to do with the fact that ON THE FIRST NIGHT OF MY STAY, and probably due to the excess of kids, A FALSE FIRE ALARM WENT OFF!!! Horrendous! I had not heard a fire alarm since I had been in college, a few decades ago. I jumped off my bed so scared, frazzled, and mortified that I could not believe such a "snafu" could happen in an Omni Wellness Spa hotel.
Employees at the front desk are uptight, not as helpful as the hotel advertises in the phone message they play while they put you on hold.
When I turned on the night light to read in bed, I was shocked to see al the particulate mater (read: dust) fly all over the place. Even though the bed had been made that day, the entire room had a serious dust problem. Maybe the rugs do not get vacuumed with a Dyson. Maybe they just get vacuumed once a month.
A HUGE pet peeve I have is that the hotel map is not accurate. I could not get around with it. It is just not user-friendly.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want. Some rooms are very far away, but those are the prettiest and most expensi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Picky-yet-Fair
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Picky-yet Fair: I really appreciated your detailed review and in particular value your perspective on the resort map. I am taking another look at the map to incorporate some of your suggestions. I am sorry that your schedule didn't allow you the chance to enjoy a spa experience and we have now expanded our spa hours to accommodate end-of-day treatments. Thank you for investing time in sharing your comments!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Rancho Bernardo Inn
Mission Bay Park
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
#150 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Omni La Costa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!