“Decent resort...but could be better”

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Decent resort...but could be better”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

First, this really should get 3.5 stars
Took my daughter here for a special weekend. While staff is friendly and place is very kid friendly, the property feels dated and cluttered. While rates aren't over the top, the Aviara down the street is better value, as are the various properties in Dana Point a little further north.

The rooms are dated in spite of a recent renovation (maybe we got the old wing) and the pools are very crowded. The restaurants are all decent and not overpriced but there was no real stand out.

On the positive side, the staff is plentiful and friendly. The golf course is nice and the water slides and arcade are a plus for kids. But all that said, La Costa overall is just ok.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Seaurchineceviche

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Overall a very pleasant stay. Friendly staff, good service. Spacious rooms overlooking beautifully maintained grounds. Cannot comment on the quality of the golf course, as we did not play golf during our trip, but enjoyed the multiple pools immensely. Will be back soon!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
los angeles, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014

All the staff treat you with respect and always been courteous, I love it, I gave 6 stars, they have SPA, the dining experience was excellent, all the boutique, and Market place meet my expectations, every where you go is very clean, I'm looking for the future, if you have any event they are on top.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband, our two children, and I recently stayed at La Costa Resort. We needed a little break from normal life, and it certainly met every necessity and expectation we could have! The rooms are beautifully appointed - numerous TV channels, free bottles of water, comfortable and inviting beds... We stayed in a one bedroom suite, which was really just a regular room with an adjoining living area space (albeit a very big space). The room had plenty of space for our kids to run around and enjoy themselves. The hotel itself has great pools, water slides, and a little beach area for the little ones to play. A great amenity for families is that the hotels will give you free water diapers, just in case you forgot them, run out, or whatever! We splurged and got a cabana by the kid pools, which was totally perfect for nursing and for having some much-needed shade. To be honest, the cabana we got (#2) was a little on the shabby side compared to the rest of the hotel. There were dark spots all over it (mold/mildew?) and the whole top of it had rips all over it, but it did the job. Just not what I'd expect for such a high-end property. The food at the pool was good, thought there wasn't a large variety of food, but enough to get the job done. I was impressed that they thought of details like s'mores, but disappointed they didn't have any chairs to be able to sit at and comfortably eat the s'mores. Lastly, we went to the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast buffet provided a wonderful variety of food from made to order omelettes and waffles to sausage links and fresh fruit. Dinner was just ok (disappointed that it was just ok), but it did offer a children's buffet of all the basic food (American) children enjoy eating -- chicken strips, mac and cheese, pizza, chocolate cake, the works! The one great thing about the restaurant is that the view from the outdoor seating areas is beautiful, overlooking the golf course and adjoining homes. Around the hotel are different shops, including a 24 hour shop/marketplace with virtually anything you may need on hand. In sum, the La Costa is a beautiful, well-thought-out hotel with anything one could really need. It definitely deserves a visit or two!!

1 Thank Tynante
Paris, France
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I ve been staying now at la Costa resort 5 times, I thought it's time to write a review: I ve been staying there to attend Chopra events but I always stayed extra to really enjoy the resort. Despite its size, the people working there do remember you and I must say that this is one of the best service quality I ve experience. The staff is simply great, front desk, valet, spa, and concierge are outstanding. The rooms are large and very comfortable and the spa is simply one of the best I ve been to. To top it off, the Chopra spa and wellness center is a great added value and I know I ll keep on coming back. They always make sure after each visit to send you an evaluation sheet for you to review your stay and each time they took into consideration any comment I ve made. I ll be back there again, and again! AS for the restaurant it's a bit pricey for what you get, and I ll recommend the bar restaurant next to the lobby or the grill versus the bistrot downstairs, it was very average compared to the rest of what the facility offers.

Room Tip: Ground floor overlooking the golf course, preferably far from the children pool where it get too noi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The resort itself is pretty and very spread out. We had stayed before in a suite that are far from the main lobby and that was a less optimal experience for us we had to drive to the pool. This time, we stayed closer to the main pool, but not close enough to hear noise from it. The room itself, Spanish colonial style - contemporary inside, was well appointed and we requested a view of the golf course and got it which was very nice. The balcony is barely large enough for two chairs so we didn't spend much time there. Our package included breakfast which we weren't aware of at first. It would have been nice to have that explained at check in. The breakfast buffet was a highlight and was well worth it. Omelet station, fresh fruit, lots of tasty options for adults and kids. Could have skipped lunch. We spent most of our time at the pool which was full of families, which we didn't mind, but could see how it would bother others who were sans kids. Our 8-year olds loved the big and the smaller pool slide. And that was the main draw for us. Note: Kids have to meet a height requirement to use the big slide. Kids also liked the game room which had some free attractions like ping pong and a couple other games. I enjoyed the gym which had free weights and machines. And even though they must have been full for spring break, it never felt crowded anywhere and we were always able to find loungers at the pool, which can be a source of stress at some resorts. Lunch at the pool was good - a little pricey, but not out of line for a resort and the chicken caesar was so big that my husband and I split it. We at other meals outside the resort.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Kids liked seeing all the bunnies on the property. It was quiet and serene and my husband enjoyed the golf course.

The only reason I subtracted a star is because it took me 8 tries to speak to someone at the resort who could explain the difference in all the rooms. I kept getting put through to central reservations and they would refer me back to the hotel where I'd get put on hold, then defaulted back to central. By the time I got through, I got decent info and even a discount for my trouble, so that helped make up for missing out on some better prices while trying to glean this info.

Note for families: we found our room a bit small for the four of us and next time would ask for a ground floor room with the patio in front. The kids liked swinging on the double hammock that was close enough to our room that I could watch them from the balcony. Self-parking was a little far from our room.

Restaurant tip: If you have a car, there's a restaurant in the shopping center about a mile north that is great for families, similar to Tender Greens called Tin Leaf Fresh Kitchen that had delicious options for all and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Families may enjoy being closer to the main pool. Larger suites and villas are quite far from the ma...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Corona del Mar, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at this resort for Mother's Day Weekend 2014. My kids were very excited to stay and play. The resort and amenities have a ton of potential. Only problem is there were spiders and bugs everywhere...including our bed. We changed rooms, same problem. The pool was fun and the staff was nice but the bugs and spiders will keep us from returning. Too bad.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 279 in San Diego
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!