“Hotel Great, but problems with communication”

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Temecula, United States
“Hotel Great, but problems with communication”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We made reservations because we love the La Costa resort and spa, but had a few problems with our reservation this time that make us wonder whether to stay there again. We enjoyed so much about the grounds, pool, staff, and dining, but when it came to checkout, it was really difficult to get the price we had been promised. Just a hassle I would rather not go through again. Beautiful place to stay, but make sure you get the name of everyone who helps with your reservation. Without that, you might have a problem. Our Mom's birthday was a fun time, but at the end of it, we left on a sour note.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

TylerPringle, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Sharon W: Thank you for visiting us and sharing such kind words about our resort. We're disappointed we were unable to exceed your expectations during the checkout process. We will look into the breakdown that occurred so we can provide a better experience for future guests, and we hope you will visit us again- we truly value your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel and the sister hotel, Omni Rancho Las Palmas, several times, as they are both within a 2 hour drive of Los Angeles, providing a hassle-free but first-class weekend getaway. I had to write a review of our last visit as it exceeded our expectation even more than usual. We checked in late (8:30 PM) and I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for an upgrade from our "villa" room. I was pleasantly surprised when after a short search, we were told we would get a one bedroom villa. In addition, both my kids immediately received "welcome bags" containing crayons, games, juice, cookie, bar, etc. which was a very nice touch. Our villa was fantastic - a bedroom with a full bath just as big as the room itself, double sink, vanity, separate tub and rain shower, separate toilet. all marble, granite, etc. The room was attached to a full living room, dining area and kitchen (this part was the upgrade). We had 2 patios, 2 fireplaces, 2 flatscreen TV's, 2 full baths... all very luxuriously appointed. The grounds are casual elegance, you don't feel stuffy at all, but everything is perfectly manicured and beautiful. This resort has something for everyone. My boys, 10 and 12 were old enough to enjoy the waterslides and water play by themselves, and alternate with playing pingpong and pool at the game room (which features several arcade games and ipads for play). I spent a few hours at the adult pool, which although too small to do lap swimming, overlooks the incredible golf course and is just a fantastic mix of comfort, relaxation and fun. There is a bar at the adult pool and you can also order food in both areas. One amazing feature was that I noticed there were no birds around attacking the leftover food of the guests, and then I saw a man with a leather glove and a hawk on his arm going around the pool - It turns out that this is how they keep the pesky birds away from you - hawks and falcons!! Brilliant!! We were so impressed we booked a class with Ken and his son, who are professional falconers. We all loved learning about these amazing birds of prey, and my boys are telling me they want to learn to be falconers! Highly recommend taking the class if you go.
Food was pretty good; Blue Fire restaurant is more expensive, but of course this is how all resorts are these days. There is a market place which sells starbucks coffee, icecream, pizza, salads and sandwiches and is more reasonable. There are yoga classes, tennis, golf, full gym, spa, the Chopra Center, a great sports bar (my husband spent most of his time there, watching world-cup), and of course, Birds of Prey class! And all this without leaving the resort. This is also great if you are visiting Legoland or any of the area attractions, and is close to the beach as well. After spending two days there, we were all refreshed and ready for our crazy LA lives again. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the villa rooms have a "home" feeling and are further from th...
2 Thank BelAirKat
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

All the pools that my children and I went in were in need of serious plaster/tile repair. The kids "beach" area was a mess. The kids play center was expensive. Our room was pretty but transitioned from hardwood, carpet and tile very quickly. That became dangerous when I fell on my way to get my son from the bathroom. I fell so hard I fractured my nose, sustained a concussion, black eye, facial contusions, injured hip and arm. The only help they offered was a guy from first-aid who offered my some band aids and an ice pack. Everyone was very friendly just not very helpful.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank LRIMom
TylerPringle, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear LRIMom: We are so sorry to hear about your incident and hope you are recovering well. Safety is a top priority for us, particularly with regards to children, and we go to great lengths to assure all of our guests are safe while visiting our resort. Our maintenance team inspects the resort on a daily basis for the protection of our guests, including all pool areas, and we will continue to do so to provide a pleasant experience for those visiting us.
Baltimore, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely grounds and well maintained appearance. Friendly and well trained staff. Everyone greeted you and made you feel welcome.Quality of rooms inconsistent. We have stayed at this resort multiple times. Some rooms are beatiful and some are dated and small for the money. It appears to be the luck of the draw. We received no special consideration as a returning guest. The HVAC in our room was not working properly when we arrived. Other routine maintenance in our room needed to be done. Housekeeping was excellent and the room was clean and properly serviced each day. Restaurants overpriced. Amenities overall, such as the pools and plaza area, all were good.

2 Thank Richard H
Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The service at the Omni Hotel La Costa was wonderful. Everyone was accommodating and helpful. It is a beautiful facility and we look forward to staying again in the future. All was first rate. I would highly recommend the Omni La Costa.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Chicago, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

La Costa offers a step back in time when hotels were refined and classy, yet also offers all the modern amenities one would want, all in a beautiful setting. Whether you want to golf, swim, hike in the surrounding area, or enjoy the spa, this resort has it all for family and business travelers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Josh K: Your lovely comments are very much appreciated. So pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you again very soon.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I absolutely could not wait to visit the spa at La Costa during our trip. I mean, the sign out front says "#1 spa in the nation"... What could possibly go wrong?

When I booked the facial, the staff member informed me that I could book whichever service I wanted, and if I needed to change, or the anesthetist thought a different facial would be more appropriate for my skin, I could make those decisions at that time. When checking in, I advised the front desk that I wanted a different (and apparently less expensive) facial after spending the morning in the sun. I was told that I'd have to "cancel" my first service and then re-book a new service. While I'm trying to wrap my head around this, the woman literally swiped my credit card right in front of me, charging me for the first service.

Needless to say, I left the spa without ANY service, but with my wallet a fair bit lighter. Just what I want to deal with on the last night of vacation... On a better note, Visa was awesome and is taking care of everything.

I'm just so shocked and disappointed.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Mimi429
Dear Mimi429: We appreciate the time you've taken to post this review and this is certainly not the relaxing spa experience we would have wished you to have. We are reaching out to you to offer assistance with your situation. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#2 of 278 in San Diego
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!