“Bed Bugs everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Motel 6 Carlsbad East
Ranked #34 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Room had bed bugs. Told manager, Roger, and he said it was not his problem and suggested we stay somewhere else. What a great guy.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank RoadTripFamilyUSA

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We wanted an inexpensive place close to Legoland, and this fit the bill. Legoland was about a 10 minute drive away, just past the outlet mall. The room was clean (we wore socks/slippers inside), bathroom tiny but clean. It was nice to have a small fridge and microwave. Free coffee in the lobby each morning. There was a pool we didn't use, and a laundry room we did. We extended an extra night. There was a 7-11 and Subway across the street, but we just drove a couple minuets to the outlet mall which had a lot of restaurants to choose from.
The big problem is that they allow smoking and pets in the motel, so even though we had a designated non-smoking room, we noticed a funky smell when we first checked in and each time we came in from a day at the park. Either the previous guest smoked in our room or brought pets in, or the smell from smoking rooms filtered into ours. I would suggest a non-smoking wing. Overall, we were very satisfied. We would stay again if they addressed the smoking issue.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor facing Paseo Del Norte. We could hear the guests on the second floor, b...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2011

For the price this was OK but we thought compared to motels we had stayed at Motel 6 could have done better. The room was smallish but clean. There was no fridge or microwave so this was a bit of a let down. Wifi was a charge of $2.99 per day. We have travelled the US for 3 months now and this is the only place where they charge for wi-fi. I was pleased they had a laundry on-site but it was filthy. I don't think the machines had been wiped down for months and the floor was disgusting. However, when we departed I was asked if we had any comments so I mentioned all these issues. Hopefully, they will at least clean the laundry!

Room Tip: At any motel, always ask to inspect the room first
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I wouldn't normally stay at a Motel 6, but I was traveling with my cat and I needed a pet-friendly motel. What I didn't realize is that, although this is in a nice Carlsbad neighborhood, there are full-time residents living in this motel, which creates a dicy atmosphere.

At 11:45 p.m., I heard someone talking outside my room When I looked out the peephole, there was a guy smoking a marijuana joint, muttering to himself, "Everybody loves a little bud." Uh, not EVERYBODY....bud!

When he saw I was looking out the peephole, he put his thumb over it--in other words, a threat. That did it. I called the front desk, and told the clerk that either she was going to call the police, or I would. This being Carlsbad, the police arrived in under five minutes flat and hauled him off.

Yes, it's a Motel 6--not the Ritz. But my room absolutely reeked of disinfectant, and the "residents" seemed to come and go at all hours. The next night, I went down one more exit to the La Posada, where for $50 more I had a great room, no pet fee, and peace, quiet, and security.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Gail1Marie
Reviewed 27 March 2007

We stayed at this Motel 6 for two nights on our way down to San Diego for vacation. The advance reservations, arrival, and check in all went very smoothly. The property seemed very nice at first glance for a Motel 6 - I was told the property used to be a Red Roof Inn. Our room was average and clean for a budget motel, however we requested a non-smoking room and our room totally reaked of smoke. It even had an upside down "clean" ashtray on the dresser. It was hard to take the smell, but since we only used the room to sleep in at night for 2 nights, we made it thru. Upon check-out I mentioned the issue to confirm that our room # was indeed non-smoking, and I was told it was. I let her know about the ashtray and the smell, and she appoligised. This property is right off the freeway (you can request a room on the opposite side to avoid the noise), super close to Legoland, and on the way over to the Wild Animal Park. We "may" stay here again in the future, but we would check the room out upon check-in and not be willing to accept a room unitl we got one that didn't smell so bad of smoke.

• Stayed: March 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 9 September 2006

Reservations made 1/06 for street side, not I5. Room was on I5. Why would travelers with a dog be placed directly behind access stairs to 2nd floor? Dog reacted to repeated sounds. Non-smoking room - smokers hung out on the steps AND a smoking cannister, full of butts, was directly outside our room. Hot water gone on 9/5 7 a.m. in companions' room, one pregnant.They opened vent the 1st night and smokers stood outside-smoke came in. 10:30 p.m. neighbors had rap on their boom box that thumped the walls. Gourmet coffee in lobby per advertised? All 3 days - none. According to staff, machine didn't work.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Peace_Light
Reviewed 12 May 2006

I checked into the Red Roof Inn on 4/15/06. Since I hadn't paid that much for the room, I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised by a large, clean room. The bathroom was tiny, but the shower had great pressure and endless hot water. The room was very clean and larger than expected. I faced the main street, and I was right at the top of the staircase, so I was expecting a noisy night, but I had no problems with noise. If you are looking for a place on the beach, this is not for you as it is probably a mile a away.

Good food and shopping is near this hotel, which is always nice.

• Stayed: April 2006