Motel 6 Carlsbad South
US$337
US$265
Groupon.com
  • Pool
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$182
  • Pool
Ocean Palms Beach Resort(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$299
US$223
US$193
US$361
Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$344
US$298
BestWestern.com
Omni La Costa Resort & Spa(Carlsbad)
US$359
  • Pool
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$153
  • Pool
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$197
US$165
  • Restaurant
All reviewsralph's grocery storeroom was cleanconvenient locationwould stay againa great place to stayconveniencesinkmattress
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed several nights at this motel and was pleasantly surprised. Do not expect many amenities. It is not fancy in any way. I had no problems with the beds but would have liked a heavier blanket.
Pros-
Clean/ modern rooms
A/C
Free parking
Large TV
Location
Room service
No cancellation fee up to 12pm the day before/ no penalty for changing reservation
Cons-
very thin blankets

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nerual
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have been to this particular Motel 6 more times then I can remember over the past 12 or more years. I don't much like Motel 6 in general, but I stay there because it's an easy place to be with the dogs....until THIS TIME.

Traveling with my same dogs and had a reservation for 4 nites. They put me in a NON-SMOKING room (as requested) and then put SMOKERS (heavy smokers and like 5 of them) in the room next to me, so by the next day I was unable to breath...I insisted they put me in a new room, which they did.

Then after the 2nd night I go to pay for the next two nights and I was told I was BANNED FROM MOTEL 6!!! WOW! NO REASON. I was STUNNED...WTF?!?!?!?

After being insistent, I was told my dogs barked! I told the person they were dogs, they would bark when people go by the room making noise, or pounding...the entire interaction was very odd.

I reiterated; "I am banned from ALL Motel 6s throughout the country" and was told YES!

I then left and called Guest Services and they were stunned. They apparently did not get straight answers from this location as to what was behind this 'ban', but they put me at a different property and told me that there is no way I am banned from Motel 6.

I then indicated to them that 'oh by the way', two of my dogs are medical therapy dogs and at this point, I feel they have violated any number of laws.

So, not sure what it was all about, but I felt that dogs at this one were really NOT WELCOME...in fact, I saw very few dogs during my 2 nights there, where I generally see dogs everywhere.....

I'm also not thrilled with the chain...so will see if I can't find another chain that is dog friendly and cares more about their guests and caring for their properties.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I've stayed at many motel 6's, and this one is pretty much the same. Location is very convenient, clean rooms, pleasant staff and affordable rates. I also like being able to book on the day of arrival without having a higher rate to pay because of the time limit. This property was clean, staff was quick and nice, and the rooms were fine. For short trips it's perfect. Close to the beach (walking distance...15/20 minutes) and close to the 5. Good for all kinds of trips.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2013

At first I thought it was going to be a bust because I was put in a room with a noisy heating and cooling system fan--you know the kind--a nice beat but you wouldn't want to dance to it, or dream with it all night. I checked with the front desk and they immediately moved me to a better room. The room was clean and comfy and the desk service was welcoming and friendly. This motel was a delight for someone looking for nice bargain accommodations. I did not care about the pool, which didn't look inviting and was closed, and probably wouldn't have liked a room on the freeway side. They seem to be undergoing a lot of renovations, so it should be even better for future folks. I found it easy to get around the area from there and there was a shopping center nearby with decent sit-down fast food choices.

Room Tip: Avoid the freeway side if you can and turn on the A/C and heating to see if it's going to be quiet enough for you. I expect a certain amount of noise in these rooms but not any clanking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Service was friendly, room and grounds where clean. A little bit of freeway noise since it’s right next to the freeway. It didn’t bother us, but it could be an issue with others. The Benihanas across the street is a great place for dinner. Room was clean, small, no frills, no coffee maker but got the job done. In April 2013 there were replacing all the mattresses, which they needed it badly. They do have a pool if your family is so inspired. Very easy access on and off the freeway.

Room Tip: If freeway noise is an issue, pick a room on the west side away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends