“Great!”

Motel 6 Carlsbad South
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were looking for a place to stay near Legoland for the 4th of July weekend. It was a last minute thing. We decided to celebrate the holiday and watch the 4th of July fireworks in Legoland with our 2 yr 3month old son. We found Motel 6 as the nearest place with available rooms to stay (only 2 or 3 more rooms available to be exact, when we checked in). It was a great motel with clean room and beddings. It has hard-wood floors and not carpeted since it as also a pet-friendly motel. The pool was right in front of our room which we weren't able to use since we went to Legoland Waterpark.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JoshKuday

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Very clean, newly remodeled, great weekly rate, and wonderful service. Only 2 complaints no hair dryer and small rooms. But those are really non issues for a place to lay your head after having fun at theme parks and the beach!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Vanessa B
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had 2 rooms at the Motel 6 at the end of July and paid $125/ night weekend Tax IN and $86/night week night. In contrast San Diego had rooms in the mid to high $200 range at the same time. We opted for the ½ hr drive to San Diego to save some money.

Despite the renos this is barely a 2 star any way you cut it. We arrived on a Sat and stayed for 2 nights. They removed all the adjoining rooms in the renos (Boooo!). The Motel 6 brand attracts all the usual budget seeking colorful characters from hookers and pimps to surfers, to families needing cheap accommodations to make ends meet. Along with that on a weekend comes noise, drinking, garbage and the other usual annoyances. The linens were a joke. Paper thin sheets, towels that were hard and scratchy not to mention only 2 towels per room. No shampoos only basic soaps. Typical Motel 6. Having said that it was very clean.

Having said this, I got my money’s worth. I expected less, got more than what I thought I would and if the circumstances were similar I would stay here again.

Here`s the stats for those wanting the concise version:

Curb Appeal: 4/10
Housekeeping: 6/10
Safe Atmosphere: 3/10
Staff Friendliness: 5/10
Pool: 5/10

I want to say that this hotel is nice and clean. Rooms had fresh paint, laminate floors, counters and the beds looked new. The rooms are very small by modern standards. TVs were new flat screens in an ugly enclosure to prevent theft and only had limited very basic cable.

The pool was outdoors no hot tubs. Seemed OK. Lots of people using it during the day.
The lobby was not clearly marked and is on the south side of the building. At night staff are barricaded in behind bulletproof glass lending to an impression the area isn’t safe. We arrived at night and there were lots of teens and people hanging around drinking alcohol everywhere. Never saw a security guard at any time. Surfers having a tailgate BBQ in the parking lot…and wouldn’t share 

During the day maintenance people were buzzing around cleaning up from the previous night.

The rooms had paper thing walls and ceilings. We could hear the people above us stomping around all night. There is a plaza mall about 300 yards south of this place that has a Jack In the Box and El Pollo Loco place to eat and also a pharmacy. Lego land is 5 min away as are the Outlet malls in Carlsbad. There’s a Walmart about 5 min north.
If you find this review helpful please click helpful below. Godspeed in all your travels!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Saskheat
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed several nights at this motel and was pleasantly surprised. Do not expect many amenities. It is not fancy in any way. I had no problems with the beds but would have liked a heavier blanket.
Pros-
Clean/ modern rooms
A/C
Free parking
Large TV
Location
Room service
No cancellation fee up to 12pm the day before/ no penalty for changing reservation
Cons-
very thin blankets

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nerual
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have been to this particular Motel 6 more times then I can remember over the past 12 or more years. I don't much like Motel 6 in general, but I stay there because it's an easy place to be with the dogs....until THIS TIME.

Traveling with my same dogs and had a reservation for 4 nites. They put me in a NON-SMOKING room (as requested) and then put SMOKERS (heavy smokers and like 5 of them) in the room next to me, so by the next day I was unable to breath...I insisted they put me in a new room, which they did.

Then after the 2nd night I go to pay for the next two nights and I was told I was BANNED FROM MOTEL 6!!! WOW! NO REASON. I was STUNNED...WTF?!?!?!?

After being insistent, I was told my dogs barked! I told the person they were dogs, they would bark when people go by the room making noise, or pounding...the entire interaction was very odd.

I reiterated; "I am banned from ALL Motel 6s throughout the country" and was told YES!

I then left and called Guest Services and they were stunned. They apparently did not get straight answers from this location as to what was behind this 'ban', but they put me at a different property and told me that there is no way I am banned from Motel 6.

I then indicated to them that 'oh by the way', two of my dogs are medical therapy dogs and at this point, I feel they have violated any number of laws.

So, not sure what it was all about, but I felt that dogs at this one were really NOT WELCOME...in fact, I saw very few dogs during my 2 nights there, where I generally see dogs everywhere.....

I'm also not thrilled with the chain...so will see if I can't find another chain that is dog friendly and cares more about their guests and caring for their properties.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I've stayed at many motel 6's, and this one is pretty much the same. Location is very convenient, clean rooms, pleasant staff and affordable rates. I also like being able to book on the day of arrival without having a higher rate to pay because of the time limit. This property was clean, staff was quick and nice, and the rooms were fine. For short trips it's perfect. Close to the beach (walking distance...15/20 minutes) and close to the 5. Good for all kinds of trips.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2013

At first I thought it was going to be a bust because I was put in a room with a noisy heating and cooling system fan--you know the kind--a nice beat but you wouldn't want to dance to it, or dream with it all night. I checked with the front desk and they immediately moved me to a better room. The room was clean and comfy and the desk service was welcoming and friendly. This motel was a delight for someone looking for nice bargain accommodations. I did not care about the pool, which didn't look inviting and was closed, and probably wouldn't have liked a room on the freeway side. They seem to be undergoing a lot of renovations, so it should be even better for future folks. I found it easy to get around the area from there and there was a shopping center nearby with decent sit-down fast food choices.

Room Tip: Avoid the freeway side if you can and turn on the A/C and heating to see if it's going to be qui...