Motel 6 Carlsbad South
US$321
US$265
Groupon.com
  • Pool
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$182
  • Pool
Ocean Palms Beach Resort(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$299
US$223
US$193
US$361
Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$344
US$297
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$153
  • Pool
Omni La Costa Resort & Spa(Carlsbad)
US$359
  • Pool
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$197
US$165
  • Restaurant
All reviewsralph's grocery storeroom was cleanconvenient locationwould stay againa great place to stayconveniencesinkmattress
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I made the mistake of trying to go to San Diego while ComicCon was going on, and this was the only hotel I could get, and the only room I could get was their 'accessible' room, so my review can only speak to that room and the motel in general. I'm pleased to say they exceeded my expectations.

Room was comfortable and clean. Took a couple of minutes to get hot water to Room 170, and the sink water doesn't ever get hot enough to shave, but I wasn't shaving anyhow. Wood laminate floors were clearly clean, and a nice touch. No radio or clock, but the TV worked fine.

Room Tip: If you book here, you want to consider if you are on the interior or exterior of the four sides of the building because the pool in the center gets used and, yes, children can be noisy when they're having fun. Didn't bother me, but you may have different views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank misterfisher2006
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

It's .55 miles from the beach! We took the Coaster to downtime Carlsbad and took a cab back which was about $17, the coaster stopped running at 11:58pm. The room was clean and updated from the motel 6 I used to know. It's a basic room, no frills. Front desk was awesome, especially Rogelio. Grounds were clean and nice. Pool was great to get sand off! I loved this hotel. Will be back for sure!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank travelswithfashion
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Highly recommended motel, but just a few key notes to help you make your decision...

Pros:
• MOTEL – The location, you just can’t beat it. 10 minutes’ walk to the beach, 10 minutes’ walk to several places to eat and shop (drug store/grocery store). There is an ice machine and vending machine next to the office, along with a microwave. Ample parking outside, the area surrounding the hotel is beautiful and very safe. Interstate 5 is about the way to get to this motel, it had some heavy traffic the whole weekend.
• ROOM – 100% up to date and cleanliness a plus. Flat screen TV has HDMI. The A/C isn’t your typical box near a window that you control and have rattling all night. It’s actually central and has a thermostat on the wall just like at home, nice and quiet and works great.
• STAFF – Completely helpful and friendly, no problems with check in or out. Manager on both days were present and spoke with me each day. There was one night our smoke alarm kept going off at 2am and was offered to stay in another room, however it was a smoking room so we declined. We were able to disable it and the manager the next morning apologized profusely and offered compensation without even asking!

Cons:
• MOTEL – Our room was on the bottom floor. That means, everyone coming to and from their cars, setting their alarms, wheeling their luggage, children screaming and running and every conversation is heard right outside your window and door. This was seriously disrupting all night and early morning. Lost quite a bit of sleep staying here.
• ROOM – Outside lights keep your room lit all night long. The bed is just a mattress on a frame, no box spring. I didn’t find it uncomfortable at all though, I had more of an issue with the large stiff pillows that kept my head at a 45 degree angle all night. No clock or alarm clock present in the room. No shampoo is provided. You need to bring your own or buy some at the nearest shop (again, drugstore/grocery store close by). We were lucky enough that the manager that night had some samples sent by Dove, so we had enough to get us through our stay. But that isn’t a guarantee it will always be available. No amenities such as a hair dryer or iron, refrigerator etc. WIFI does cost $3.00 per day usage.

Other side notes:

Places to eat nearby - Benihana, great food, very entertaining, also very expensive. We've eaten at this place before, so we skipped this time around.
We did try Primo Pizza & Pasta, simply fantastic! Portions are good, prices are a litte more than you would expect, but the quality was top notch. The staff was also friendly and the place was constantly busy. Two TV's were going with sports, not very loud at all.
We also ate at the Pick Up Stix, again, delicious! Very new and clean, didn't take long to get served and food tasted fresh and healthy. Reasonable Prices too.
Jerry’s Wood-Fired Dogs…definitely something you have to try, the burgers were out of this world!

So to sum it all up, we would consider staying here again just for the convenience and the location but maybe next time we'll ask for a room in the back to see if that helps with the noise and light factor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CampAdvisor
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were evacuated for the Cocos ie San Marcos Fire - this was only place we found that would take dogs.
The good - appears to have been recently renovated, hard floors (think faux wood which is fine)
The bad - although we were really lucky to get a room due to the 10's or thousands evacuated, I am not sure that the room was thoroughly cleaned before we checked in. There were some hairs and something else on the sheets and I have to admit, if we hadnt been evacuated I would probably have left.

Plus now at 12 days past, my son has a lice infection on his head. From my research, and the size of the bugs, they would have had to "arrive" at around 10 to 15 days ago. So the probable cause especially as we were inside and did not go anywhere until the following Monday is the motel.

I agree that there are definitely permanent tenants there - the side facing the street (vs freeway) had some questionable sorts who obviously lived there. They had coolers and knew each other. There are strawberry fields close so maybe migrant workers.

Again it served our purpose, and we just stayed in our room as the county burned. Luckily our house didnt catch on fire.

Room Tip: the highway side is noisy but more tourists less permanent residents
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SanDiegoMom08
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We checked out our standby, Palomar Inn and found they have upgraded which means more $$$. Since it also eliminated continental breakfasts as well and NO senior discount it would have been $70 plus TAX! Up the 5 to Carlsbad we called Motel 6 and found a room w/ 2 beds, great TV, WiFi , but no breakfast for $65 (w/ senior discount). Very convenient, clean, and friendly. Palomar Inn not so friendly anymore! Thus, we've found our New digs heading N!

Room Tip: If over 60 ask for senior discount!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family