“Good Value for the Money”

Motel 6 Carlsbad South
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We travelled from Calgary to go to the horse races at Delmar. Delmar is approx. 10 mis. south of this motel on the freeway. It was very conveniently located with easy access to the I-5. It was also walking distance to a mall with a great grocery story (Ralph's) where you could get coffee, made to order sandwiches, etc. You could walk to the beach. It is also just minutes away from Carlsbad outlet mall and lots of restaurant choices (TGIF, The Fish House). It is also just minutes away from Costco. The pool area was clean. The rooms were adequate, nothing fancy but cleaned daily.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JustDoItCalgary

Reviewed 28 August 2009

You don't expect a lot from a hotel when you pay $70 a night however you also don't expect to be treated sub-humanly. We made a reservation after arriving in the area on a spur of the moment trip and as it was the first accommodation we found online so we booked it. BIG MISTAKE!

We were put into a room, room 101 which directly adjoins the front office, with faulty plumbing and at 11.30pm at night the toilet overflowed and raw sewerage entered into the bathroom and further into our room. When asking the front desk clerk for assistance she flat out refused to help instead giving us a mop and telling us that because we had overflowed the toilet it would be our responsibility to clean up the mess - imagine that, customers being responsible for plumbing issues in a hotel! I asked her to call the manager, again she refused. She also refused to come & look at the situation advising that it wasn't her job. I asked her what her job was and she could not even clarify this however a second clerk came out, and advised me that if I wanted someone to "come and clean up the s*** I should have stayed at the hotel accross the road" as "this is a budget motel and if there's s*** on the floor then you have to wait for maintenance to come & clean it up tomorrrow". He then told me that he would call the police on me if I did not leave the front desk.

Disbelieving of the treatment I had received, I called the central reservations line and spoke to the manager there. After 45 minutes on the phone to him, and him calling the property and speaking to the same clerks, they would not put even him through to the manager stating that if they did they would lose their jobs. I found out during this conversation that the manager actually lives on property so it's not like it would be a great inconvenience for him to come into work - I mean after all, isn't that why you employ managers onsite to look after issues and emergencies - even after hours?

We spent over 2 hours cleaning up sewerage from the floor and well after 2am slept in a room that smelt like faeces. We then complained to the hotel manager in the morning (further delaying our trip as we had planned on leaving at 6am the following morning) who could only defend the staff siting that it's not their responsibility to problem solve any issues that arise and that they could have put us in another room (without WiFi which we needed) but that we refused. I advised the manager that if his staff, between the 2 of them, could not leave the front desk for 2 minutes to visit the room right next door to see the issue that they should not be working in Hospitality. The manager defended his staff saying that they did the right thing then proceeded to threaten me if we took the matter further up the chain, which we did and have still had no response from the GM of Accor Hotels. Just goes to show you what kind of chain they run when they don't respond after 2 weeks!

Now I have stayed at many Accor properties in the past however this is my first experience with Motel 6 and one which I will never repeat again. I have stayed in 5 star hotels and I have stayed in budget motels and never in my life have I ever been treated like such a 3rd rate citizen or made to clean up plumbing issues or threatened by the manager. The manager did issue a refund, after trying to bully us into taking a voucher for another Motel 6 stay in the future which we declined, however this was significantly less than what we paid and this was only after me asking for it several times. To date we have not received a full refund, almost 3 weeks after staying at this property.

To anyone considering this property I strongly suggest that you avoid it and pay the extra to stay somewhere where you will be treated like a person & not like an animal and made to sleep in faeces. It is an absolute disgrace and the staff of this hotel should either be retrained or shown the door. A little common courtesy and politeness wouldn't go astray either.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank punkrockess
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We stay at this Motel 6 often for quick trips to San Diego. It's about 2-25 mins away from downtown SD, and very quiet, and out of the way. It is surrounded by a Ramada and a La Quinta. There is a Benihana (Japanese teppan yaki) right next door, for family fun dining. The coaster station is nearby (about two blocks walking distance), but doesn't run past 7pm I think. Within a 5 minute drive, you can go right down to the Carlsbad State Beach. We like to take the dogs for a walk along the road by the coast, as the sidewalks are well lit and there is grass available too. This location is only about a 5 minute drive from Carlsbad Village, which has lots to see and do for the whole family, so all in all, a great location, especially for the value.

On this trip we were a bit disappointed in the room, even though it had wi-fi access, which I did not use. The carpet in the bathroom had what seemed to be fresh, small, dark brown stains on it (unknown what it was). The room smelled musty, although it was nonsmoking room. There was a hair in the shower on the wall, and the shower head seemed to be coming away from the wall. There was what appeared to be mold spots starting on the ceiling in the shower. The bathroom ddn't smell fresh either. The towels were clean and soft. The air conditioner clacked a bit, too. The room number was 117, which is on the west side of the property. I really like the north side of the property best, very quiet and away from the pool. All in all, a good stay for only one night, but I will pass this along to Motel6.com as well. Don't let these comments sway you, this is a bargain in the SD area for $59.99 a night, and if you get it on the "Click 6" rate, even better!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Stayed for one night en-route to San Diego - decided to stop at Carlsbad to do a bit of shopping at the premium outlets and do some photography at the flower fields. This motel 6 is a little south of Carlsbad centre but only 3 mins away from the flower fields and the factory outlets. The room was small but functional, and with the other Motel 6's I've stayed in, very clean. Wifi is $2.99 per 24 hrs. The property is located beside numerous others but for the price ($50 a night), you can't go wrong...!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We stayed one night, and one night is all that I could have handled.

Pros:
Cheap rate
Very safe neighborhood
One block from restaurants

Cons:
Horrible bedding
Loud (walls paper-thin)
Needed to wear shower-shoes!

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank JMBH77
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Spent one night at this motel.
I chose it for 3 reasons. 1: the price 2: the proximity to LegoLand (less than 10 min away) and 3: the previous reviews on trip advisor , which seemed to be more positive than the Ramada Limited, which I also contemplated staying at.
This is most definitely a budget property. It was spartan, but unlike some reviews, I found the room to be spotless. When I arrived, there as a handwritten paper sign on the night check in window (it was approx 11pm) saying that there were no rooms, "reservations only". The night clerk was friendly and efficient. I had reserved a double bed non-smoking room, and that's exactly what I got.
The air conditioning worked fine, we were given a room facing the pool, and away from I-5. There was no noise, and the beds were reasonably comfortable. Toiletries were non existant, save for a lone bar of soap at the sink, and another on the tub. Towels were not of the highest quality, but they were fresh and clean. I would have appreciated a coffee maker in the room, but reminded myself that I only paid $79.00 all in, compared to rates of double or in some cases triple for hotels/motels in this vicinity. There was coffee available in the "lobby" from 7am, and I did bring two cups back to my room. There is a Jack's fast food burger and breakfast place a couple of blocks away, which was perfect after the long drive, and we went back for breakfast before starting our day at Legoland. The pool area was clean, and I took my son for an early morning swim before heading out. Please keep in mind this a budget property. no laundry bags for the wet bathing suit, no room safe for valuabless. BUT, for the price and for one night, I have no complaints, and would absolutely stay here again for a short stay, if I were were going back to Legoland.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank mginsb8256
Reviewed 1 August 2006

My family of 5 (2 parents, 1 adult child, 2 younger children) stayed last week for 2 nights (Thu/Fri night) and everything was as expected for a budget motel. Bring your own shampoo and don't expect a lot of storage areas. However, the reservation was correct (we requested and received 2 adjoining rooms), we were checked in in a timely manner, and the office had extra towels when we needed them. The pool wasn't pristine, but it was clean and definitely served our purpose.

The location by the freeway concerned me before we arrived, but we were on the far side of the property and didn't hear any significant noise.

The hotel is a long walk from the beach. You can do it if you don't mind the walk. However, there are great beaches within a very short drive.

It was pretty hot when we were there, so the ice machines were short on supply. However, $2 at the nearby Ralphs Grocery took care of that. The air conditioners are loud but worked.

There appear to be long term residents staying there, but it was not a problem at all.

The rooms seemed to be freshly redecorated and painted because they were clean and bright. There were a few signs of former cigarette burns, but the room was non-smoking and had no smell at all. Perhaps the room was converted to non-smoking in the recent past. Again, not an issue -- just an observation.

The TV worked fine. We got a number of cable channels including HBO. However, it does not have RCA plugs to plug in our own video games, etc. The coaxial connector on the back could probably have been used to plug something in, but we didn't have that kind of connector for anything.

We would have no problem staying here again when we are on a budget. The 2 nights were 1/2 the price of the same stay at the "Suite" hotel that we usually stay in.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family