“Great staff and nice property”

Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Great staff and nice property”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights during my sons LEGOLAND Robotics competition. We stayed in the 1 bedroom suite. There were 2 kids and 3 adults until the last night when my son joined us then we were 3 and 3. We picked this property because we wanted to cook in on a few night and when we booked we asked if they had an oven and was told yes.
The front desk staff is AMAZING! They were so accommodating and kind. We checked in close to 7pm and Kelli checked us in. We asked if there was a store nearby and she immediately asked what we needed. I told her we needed some milk for my son's sippy cup and she went to the back and brought back 2 cartons of milk from their morning buffet. She didn't even hesitate! We went up to our room and immediately noticed that there was no oven just a burner. We went back down and talked to Kelli and told her what we were promised. We told her we had picked up a pizza to bake in the oven and she immediately offered to buy us pizza dinner. She gave us the menu and told us to order and they they would take care of the bill when the pizza was delivered. That was exactly what happen. It was really good pizza plus we were starving from traveling all day. We tried to get into a 2 bedroom (because they have a stove) but they were booked. We ended up eating out the rest of the nights but the free pizza dinner the first night was certainly appreciated!
The room was a lot smaller than what we had expected. The bedroom itself is closed off with a door and was a great size as was the 1 bathroom but the dining room area and living area are pretty small for the 5 and then 6 of us. I would say that this room is better suited for a couple with 1 small child or 2 kids. There was a pullout sofa bed in the living room. Not super comfortable by any means but I have never really found one that it is.
My daughter swam in the outdoor heated pool every night and had a blast, it was a very nice pool. Breakfast in the morning was really nice. Hot items included pancakes, eggs, waffle maker, potatoes, French toast, biscuit and gravy. They had cold cereal, yogurt, toast and pastries. The seating area was nice, got a little crowded during peak times and wasn't really an area for large groups. We just ended up pulling the small circle tables together. They never had a problem keeping the food stocked, they never ran out of anything. They really need more trashcans though, they were tiny and constantly full.
I would definitely come back but stay in the 2 bedroom for sure.
In all we had a pleasant stay and were very impressed by the staff here. Great customer service is a hard thing to find and we were pleasantly impressed and relieved to have found it here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Isabel C
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
CbnCampy,

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review! Thank you for choosing us to be your base while at the LegoLand competition. It sounds like the stay didn't start exactly as planned but it is awesome to hear that Keli stepped up and made a gesture to make it right. I travel with my family as well and I realize the importance of the kitchen to recharge after a long day. Indeed we do have a few rooms with full ovens including our two bedroom units so that sounds like a great option for next time.

We are also pleased that your daughter enjoyed our warm pool in the evenings and that our breakfast helped start the day off right. We can be busy but try to balance that with additional seating outside and in our meeting room.

Thank you so much for the compliments on our staff and service. It sounds like they were the highlight of the stay and we will definitely share your feedback with them. We hope your travels bring you back to Carlsbad and LegoLand soon!

Safe travels,

Trent Selbrede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed for the weekend so we could hit up the local skateparks. We walked into the lobby and were greeted with a warm smile and it looked and smelled so clean. Our room was so beautiful! I love the decor and colors. Even the courtesy shampoo and conditioner, Paul Mitchell brand! My kids had a blast night swimming in the heated (to 85*F) pool. Waking up to a hot breakfast with so many choices was an added bonus. This place is awesome and we were so pleased with our stay! Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank LaurenKindstrand
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
LaurenKindstrand,

Thank you for the great review and positive compliments! It is great that you an your kids could start the day with a great breakfast before heading out to the skate parks and then winding down in the heated pool at night in our (near) perfect Carlsbad weather. The Paul Mitchell bath products are definitely awesome. We are pleased that you enjoyed the room decor and cleanliness. Thank you for also pointing out the warm greeting from our staff. They are the first impression and we our proud of our team.

Please come back to see us again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a few days while visiting family. Had room in The Summits. Roomy and comfortable. Hotel van took me anywhere on the property. Had meals in the Hyatt on the same property and the Argyle Restaurant. Both very good. Sitting by the pool with food service is great.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
oenophile1230,

Thank you for the compliments about your stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed all of our amenities. Please come back and see us again soon.

Ramona, California
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at this location once before for New Years. I must say if I thought it was nice then I was blown away this time!! From the time we checked in Alex was great! He thanked us for returning and was genuine in his approach. After hanging out in the nicely heated Jacuzzi and Pool later in the evening. Alex turned the outside heaters back on for us and told us to relax and enjoy ourselves. From the room to the staff and the great continental breakfast which includes waffles, sausage, eggs, potatoes and biscuits and gravy you cant go wrong here! We will never stay at another hotel again but this one when visiting San Diego.

Room Tip: Any where around the pool!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Matt_Prohaska
Geoff W, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Mr. Prohaska,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am thrilled to hear you are as happy with the recent renovations are we are. It is also nice to hear our staff treated you right, and it's nice to know Alex stood out. I will make sure to share your comments with him, and the rest of the staff.

I love seeing guests enjoying our beautiful outdoor pool/patio space, and am glad you got make use of the heating lamps and enjoy the evening.

We pride ourselves on helping you get your day started right with a great complimentary breakfast.

Can't wait to see you again next time you are in San Diego!

All the best,

Geoff Waddell
Manager
Redmond, WA
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night while visiting Lego Land. We had to drive back to LA the next morning so we decided to stay at Carlsbad instead of San Diego. This is a recently renovated Residence Inn and has the what I call fancy pants modern Residence décor, the room looked nicer than some of the 5 star hotels and it still had the room size and amenities that you come to expect at a Residence Inn. Very clean room, free and fast WiFi, nice big desk that you can set up a home office, I didn’t but I sure appreciated all the desktop electrical outlets that I could charge all the gadgets that our family carried for the trip without having to use my own extension cord. The breakfast area is a bit too small for the size of the hotel and got very crowded in the morning and I didn’t believe the hotel was at full capacity when we stayed there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Huskies92,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay. As a senior contributor with 39 reviews in 35 cities (as of this reply), we can tell that you have an eye for detail. We are pleased that you enjoyed the decor of our recent renovation along with the accessibility of so many electrical outlets and our new, faster WiFi. I am not sure anyone has used the term fancy pants to describe our nicer than some 5 star hotels but we are certainly flattered by the compliment!

We are fortunate to have a very busy hotel so during our recent renovation, we expanded our eating space including our outdoor space with heaters. We are always looking for more efficient ways to serve our guests and make your stay more pleasant. We appreciate the feedback.

Safe Travels!

Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We have stayed at the Carlsbad Residence Inn for 15 years (since they opened). We come back every year because we are treated like VIPs (even though we are not)! The staff goes out of their way to accomodate any need you may have, the newly renovated rooms are beautiful and comfortable, and of course, the hotel offers free hot breakfast items (eggs, pancakes, etc., etc.). The location is perfect for getting on Rt. 5 to all the attractions in San Diego. Needless to say, we will be back again at the Carlsbad Residence Inn when we return to California.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Kathleen K,

First let me thank you for your 15 years of loyalty to the Residence Inn Carlsbad. I am thrilled to hear that you found our renovated rooms to be comfortable. We are very happy with the renovation. I'm glad we could get your mornings started right with our complimentary breakfast. Most of all I am glad to hear the kind words about our great staff. I think we have a wonderful team, and it's guests like you that help us to be the best hotel in Carlsbad.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Carlsbad.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed there for a month the staff was extremely helpful during my stay from directions to local places to eat and shopping Alex Tranter and Geoff were awesome. thanks for making my extended stay fun.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank William G
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
William G,

Thank you for the great review. It was a pleasure to serve you for an entire month! Thank you for mentioning Alex and Geoff. They are really great assets and I am pleased that they helped you navigate and unfamiliar city with some great local secrets.

Please come see us again soon.