“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Springville, Utah
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had a great experience staying here. The staff were friendly and helpful. In particular, thanks to David Lopez for going above and beyond. After bringing us extra towels he asked if there was anything else he could do for us. Our 3-year-old proceeded to explain to him how she had broken the clasp on her swimming suit. David located a needle and thread, returned, asked for the suit, and fixed it on the spot. Our daughter was thrilled and we were touched by such thoughtful service.

The staff who took care of the meals were wonderful. We enjoyed the breakfast each day as well as the light dinner the weeknights we were there. These meals were so convenient and there were great areas to relax while we ate.

We enjoyed the pool and hot tub. The pool truly was heated--just right.

We took advantage of the shuttle to Legoland one day and it was great. We chose to drive another day, however, just for our own convenience.

The one-bedroom suite worked well for us, although I would have preferred a king. The pull-out bed worked well for the kids. You should know that it won't already be made up when you first arrive--you'll need to make it the first time yourself. I'm not complaining about having to make a bed, I was just surprised.

Thanks for a great stay.

2 Thank kleathamta
Ever A, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
kleathamta

Thank you for your great review of our lovely Residence Inn by Marriott Carlsbad. Sounds like the family really enjoyed the stay and we are so delighted to hear that. The services we provide I would agree are convenient and useful for our guests. I do like a perfectly heated pool, and am glad to hear that your family enjoyed ours.
I am so glad that you pointed out our staff service. I really feel that is something that makes this hotel so great! David is a great part of our staff and will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to make our guests happy (especially our 3 year old VIPs!)
Our one-bedroom suties do provide a great family style suite with a wall that seperates the room from the living room. A slight modification would be to try one of our studio suites, a slighlty more open concept that does not have a wall speration and has the King size bed. Either option is great, and really is just based on your preference.
We look forward to hosting you again when your travels lead you back to Carlsbad!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Ballwin, Missouri
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 9 days while on family vacation. Front desk customer service was amazing, especially Alex and Keli! They were always interested in how our stay and days were going. The breakfast and dinner at night were nothing short of great including movie night on Friday nights. Hotel even has boogie boards and beach chairs to use. We bought a cooler while there and donated it to the hotel for other guests. Rooms were super clean, smelled clean and they even were able to upgrade us to a 2 bedroom suite during the week! Only a couple minutes from the beach and legoland. We will stay here again!

1 Thank JMDII
JMDII -

Thank you so much for staying with us this summer at the Residence Inn Carlsbad. It really sounds like you just had an amazing stay in Carlsbad and I am excited to hear that we were able to be a big part of that. Our goal is to create those types of lasting memories that you will be able to share with others and remember us on your next visit to the area. Aren't Alex and Keli great? They are awesome, and just part of our superstar team that we have. They are geniunely compassionate and have great knowledge of the area. They will do whatever it takes to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible.
I am glad to hear that we were able to accomodate a two-bedroom suite upgrade, often times during our busy summer months it is a challenge to find those gems available. Kuddos to our staff for finding one available for you. Thank you so much for that cooler by the way. It will be a nice surprise for another guest when we could offer boogie boards, beach chairs, AND a cooler! Awesome.
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had to stay at this hotel while I was in town for work. All that I know of Carlsbad, involves the beach and bars...so at first I was excited to have to stay in Carlsbad for the weekend. Unfortunately my company moved locations to Faraday Ave, which is about 4 miles inland from the beach down a long, winding road that seems to go on forever (especially when you were hoping to be staying at a beachfront hotel).

Luckily the hotel was just about a block from our Carlsbad location. There were a few restaurants walking distance and a convenience store, which was good enough to get me through the night.

As for the hotel. There is a restaurant that only seemed to be open at breakfast and no bar, but they do have a pool and jacuzzi, which would have been nice if I had only had a moment to make use of them. Parking was pretty easy earlier in the day, but became more difficult as the day wore on. I guess the lot isn't as big as it really needs to be.

The hotel was very clean, modern and mold free, which was a blessing for me because I have terrible mold allergies. The staff was friendly, although not all that helpful. That is to say, they were happy to help you, IF YOU ASKED THEM for something, but not as pro-active as they could have been. At the morning breakfast buffet, there were no plates and few utensils as well as the regular coffee (not decaf) being empty. I stood there looking for help and probably looking quite confused, while several employees passed me by doing this that and the other. I was just about to give up and go eat breakfast elsewhere, when I saw some workers come out with a new pot of coffee and refills on the empty items. Breakfast was a fiasco - the space was overly crowded and loaded with screaming children running everywhere. I assume this probably has to do with the hotel's proximity to the Lego Land adventure park.

The rooms were a really nice size, the furniture was clean. My room featured a kitchenette - If I had know that I would have stayed in and ate at home, as the local restaurants on that road were not all that great. Those restaurants also seem to close early on weekends, as after 7pm we could not find anything close by that was open.

I had a room at the back of the hotel, which was nice and quiet with a view of the hillside. It did face the pool/jacuzzi on the front side, but that was not too bad. I hardly saw anybody out there all weekend.

Overall, I would say this is a really nice place to stay, providing you are willing to eat breakfast someplace else. I don't know what it costs, because the price was paid by my employer, but I got good sleep on a comfy bed in a clean room. What more could you ask for on a work trip?

I would recommend to others in the area. Just note that it is full of families/children. Nothing romantic going on here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Geoff W, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear LanieFire,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. While we are just a few miles from the beach we do have a few restaurants and a convenience store in walking distance which is nice. I'm glad the commute to work was short and convenient. We have a great proximity to most businesses in Carlsbad, making us an ideal location for a business traveler such as yourself.

I'm glad you enjoyed the modern feel of the property. We recently renovated and are thrilled with the results. In the middle of summer our breakfast area does get crowded with everybody getting ready for a big day at the beach, zoo, or Legoland . We do our best to balance a fun atmosphere for the kids and a reserved atmosphere for our business travelers. During a few peak weeks in summer your recommendation of finding alternate breakfast location isn't bad, and we do have quite a few good Mom and Pop diners in Carlsbad.

Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of the property, and room. We really are proud of our product and want it to stay looking great so we can provide the best stay possible for our guests.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, and please come back to visit if you are in the Carlsbad area.

Safe Travels,

GeoffW
Assistant General Manager
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We had been in Anaheim, to visit Disney, and had a day at Legoland planned. The hotel we originally checked into was... Well, let's just say, the only thing good about it was that it was close to Disney. I called around to find a hotel closer to Legoland for the last 2 nights of our trip (at 4 pm the day we needed a place, bc I had *had* it with the original hotel), and they not only got us in, we had a fabulous room, free dinner (I guess this is a sometimes thing that they do, because on night 2, they didn't make dinner), free breakfast that was hot and good, a clean, spacious pool and hottub, and blessed quiet. It was a tiny drive (5 min) from Legoland, plus a bunch of restaurants and the ocean. It was, literally, a trip saver. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and I really couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Starflyr3
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Starflyr3,

Wow! I am so pleased that we were able to save your trip! We are pleased that you were able to enjoy our Mon-Thurs social hour, breakfast, and great pool area. It is also great to hear that you found our spacious rooms fabulous and the location central to LegoLand and many restaurants. We aren't right in the middle of everything but that contributes to the quiet you experienced. Thank you for pointing that out!

Most of all, we are thrilled that you found our staff friendly and helpful. They really are our "difference makers" and we are pleased that they showed that during your stay. We will definitely share your comments with the whole staff.

We hope to see you on your next visit to Southern California and Carlsbad.

Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We've been staying at the Marriott Residence Inn Carlsbad every year for about 20 years. Every year our stay gets better and better. The comfortable beds, the brand new room renovations and the free breakfast along with weekday happy hour, makes this hotel our number one choice. I would recommend this property to anyone who loves comfort and unmatched service.

3 Thank Kathleen K
Geoff W, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Kathleen K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our property. Thank you for pointing out that we consistently deliver a great product. We are very proud of our property, and I feel that it shows. Having stayed with us for so many years I was very happy to hear that you like the recent renovations, and thank you for mentioning our service. We love what we do and that translates to great guest service.

I am glad to be your number one choice of hotels in the area, that is a huge compliment.

We look forward to hosting you again next year, and the year after, and so on.

Cheers,

GeoffW
Assistant General Manager
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I spent 10 days with my family of 4 here at this hotel in July. The July 4th holiday week is a busy one and the employees did everythong in thier power to make this an ultra positive experience. The free breakfast was hot and fresh, and the weekday evenings they served free dinner and drinks as well. I would stay here again for sure.

1 Thank DonnieDM
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
DonnieDM,

Thank you for spending 10 days with us and taking the time to let other travelers know about your positive experiences with us. Our breakfast and social hours are definitely great additions to an already great hotel.

July is indeed a busy time but we are pleased that our staff did everything to make it a positive experience. They are truly the difference makers. We will share your comments with them today!

We look forward to that return trip!

Warm regards,

Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent 5 days at the Residence Inn - Carlsbad in a one bedroon suite. The hotel and and our room was in really good condition and clean. We called ahead for a pack-n-play for our baby to sleep in and were happy to find it was complimentary with our room and delivered as promised. They have a nice breakfast in the morning that had plenty of choices. We usually didn't make it to breakfast until right when it closed at 9:30 but they still had everything you could think of. After 9:30 they still had plenty of fresh fruit available. Our housekeeper really did a great job to keep our room clean including stuff we had left behind in the sink that really shouldn't have been on her to clean, but was a very pleasant surprise at the end of long day in the themeparks. We had a lightbulb problem the first night in the bathroom, and before I could make a service request, housekeeping had it fixed and the had a follow-up call from the front desk to make sure the issue was resolved. We also appreciated that when we left a compliment at the front desk, management was actually receptive to pass along the feedback to the staff that earned the compliment.

This hotel has a nice quiet location set around office buildings, about 3 or 4 miles off I-5. It's close to Legoland, but not walking distance.

We were very pleased with our experience and would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank jjaudit
Trent S, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
jjaudit,

Thank you for staying with us for 5 days! I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and our staff took care of you up to the end of our normal breakfast hours. Thank you for pointing out our quiet location. We are close (but no too close) to just about everything.

I am most pleased that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay great. From our housekeepers, to maintenance staff, to the guest service team, it sounds like they really made an impression. We love to share these stories with our staff as it reinforces what we believe. In addition to your comments to our manager on duty, I will certainly pass this review along as well! Thank you for that!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,