“Great hotel for legoland.”

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was our second visit to the Sheraton at Carlsbad. It is perfect for visiting Legoland. The kids loved walking to the back entrance and being first in line for some of the rides. Our grandkids were 10 and 12 at the time of our visit. This hotel grounds are beautiful. Be sure and check at the front desk for special events offered for the kids in the evenings. We were able to have breakfast in the club room and snacks in the evenings, however we were told that this service was being phased out. Even though 12 is a little old for Legoland, we all had a great time.

Room Tip: Ocean views may be a little higher in cost and because of the trees, we could not really see the oce...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

We are so glad that you return to Carlsbad and chose to stay with us again! We hope that you have the opportunity to come back in the future, even if the grand kid are getting older. We have a number of Kid activities at the hotel all summer long and our Dive in Movies start Memorial weekend through Labor Day weekend. Come by and catch a movie on Saturday or Sunday night. No need to go to LEGOLAND. Again thank you the review!
All the best,
Megan Conner
Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed 30 April 2012

We've stayed here twice now, this past month and last year, and had wonderful visits both times. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. They are surrounded by fragrant flowers so even the air smells sweet. Both time our rooms had private balconies we made ample use of. The hotel has a huge heater pool and hot tub outside--great place to watch the stars come out. There's also ping pong, foosball, and pool outside which my kids loved. This past visit we dined at the restaurant a lot. It has a great happy hour deal with half price pizza so me and two kids ate for $20 one evening. Our starwood status also got us free breakfasts (also delicious). Best of all, it's a short walk to Legoland. We bought our tickets through the Legoland website which was very up front about being closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays--even so the "five" days for the price of one seemed like a good deal--the aquarium was open the days the park was closed and we went there, and to the beach, and just chilled at the hotel pool. Love this place! The only downside was our room was one with a door to an adjoining room, and we could hear the guy next door murmur murmur murmur into the wee hours. Not loud enough to complain about, but loud enough to keep me awake. These things happen in hotels--that's why I usually bring ear plugs.

2  Thank Qestia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

this is the best sheraton i have ever been to. the resort is pretty new and well maintained. it was always clean and tidy. the room was big and had plenty of room for all of my stuff. i liked the view of the sunsets over the ocean. the pool was nice and big, although a water slide might be a nice addition :) the part that really WOWed me was the staff! everyone was always so nice and helpful, even the housekeepers would say hi in the hallways. at dinner, the wait staff catered to every one of my weird requests. when my family came, the front desk and bell staff went above and beyond to make sure they felt welcomed. i honestly think my best memories of this place are because of the wonderful staff! i will definitely be back because of the people there! the only downside was the noise from the people above me (the floors seem thin), but it was much better after i moved to the top floor.

Room Tip: connecting rooms are only in 2nd building on 1st floor
1  Thank Derek S
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This is the BEST place to stay when visiting Legoland. Private entrance to legoland for hotel guess was a plus for me because my 2 kids ( 3 and 1) Clean room, bathroom had plenty of counter space, nice comfy bed and nice pool for both adult and kids. Staff at the front desk was always friendly. We had breakfast at the restaurant it was ok. Don't order pizza from the menu in the room, it was HORRIBLE!! It was like they reheated frozen pizza . The crust was hard and the cheese wasn't melted. Got a really good deal for the room through expedia.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank coffeeluver
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Although the resort and hotel look pretty, we also fell victim to the two-day Legoland "package" only to learn that the park was closed for one of those days. It was bad enough that the resort did not bother to give us some form of accommodation or go to bat for us with Legoland to refund the price of our tickets for that day. What was worse was the utter indifference to our children, who were crying and distrought after going to the gate of Legoland only to find it closed. The hotel could have offered them a cookie, or an ice cream, something to make them feel better while the concierge suggeted alternative plans. However, no ice cream, cookies or suggestions were forthcoming. The only thing we got was a call to our room to make sure we were aware of our room charges. The package we bought also provided that children were to eat free at the hotel restaurant; of course, the hotel charged us full price for their meals as well. This place is a scourge on the Sheraton name.

3  Thank Cake12
Reviewed 21 April 2012

my boyfriend and I just returned from short vacation at the Sheraton resort and would highly recommend this destination! beautiful, new and clean property with quiet specious rooms, with mini balconies. Staff was very responsive to all of our inquiries througout the stay. Besides Legoland nearby, there is many golf courses in the area, running/hiking trails for a quick work out. Staff at the restaurant was excellent as well. We can't wait for our next getaway at this property.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KM_1524
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Thank you for the review! We are glad you and your boyfriend had a relaxing time while visiting Carlsbad. We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

This is a business hotel that seems to have found itself next to Legoland, but hasn’t really accepted that it should do anything to be kid-friendly. I’ve stayed at many nice hotels lately that still have great kid things: rooms that comfortably sleep three kids (our last hotel had a brilliant bunk bed/trundle combo in a bunch of rooms); little toys or coloring books at check-in; parking close to rooms; night lights in the bathrooms; playrooms off the hotel restaurant where kids can relax while their parents are finishing dinner. This hotel did absolutely nothing – you would have had no idea they were close to a theme park, yet many, many families with small children were staying there while we were. And there was close parking to our room, but it was all reserved for the valets, despite all of the spaces being empty. Twenty/20 had great menus, but the food didn’t measure up to the descriptions, and the kids food was, well, not good. It sure looked like Kraft Mac and Cheese and a boxed pizza. Really, they can’t cook fresh food for kids? And the automatic doors to building 2 didn’t work – not a huge deal, but it sure makes entering the building with a stroller easier. If I was handicapped I would have been really annoyed.

The best two kids channels, Disney and NickJr, are nowhere to be found on the television lineup.

When I checked in I requested a crib. I was told it would be delivered shortly. When I called the front desk several hours later to check on its status, they seemed genuinely surprised to find out that there had been a request. Nice. 10 minutes later, though, it was delivered by a very nice person from housekeeping.

I had booked the breakfast package but it didn’t seem like the $30 vouchers were correctly booked to the bills? It sure seemed like they used those to cover one adult meal and one kid meal, despite the intention of covering two adult breakfasts. But they don’t itemize it so you can’t really tell how they applied it. I didn’t complain, but it seemed a deceptive to me.

The good: the hotel is nice, our room was nice, the internet is good and it is close to Legoland. Just not sure that I would stay here again with kids given that they don’t seem to really want kids to stay here. And as others have mentioned the add-on charges are annoying. I’m used to a Resort Fee including parking. Nope, not here. $12/day for the resort fee and $12/day for self-parking. Just add that into the room rates already and don’t nickel and dime at check-out – is that so hard?

1  Thank TravelBabbo

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with the hotel. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It is always our goal for our guests to have an amazing time while here on property. We do have daily children activities in the morning and in the evening during spring break and summer. In addition we have a ping pong table, foosball table and a pool table for our families to enjoy. I have shard your comments with our culinary team and will review our options that are available for children. Again I thank you for your time and hope that we have an opportunity to change your opinion of the Sheraton Carlsbad.
Megan Conner