“Jewel of the Starwood Stable”

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Jewel of the Starwood Stable”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This property has everything, fabulous views, large clean comfortable rooms, excellent beds, a fantastic restaurant and above all the best warm friendly and extremely helpful staff. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful as well.
Outstanding personnel noteworthy Was Jennifer Joyner Guest Services Supervisor who has gone above and beyond really making my Lifetime Platinum experience at this property enjoyable as she attended to my every need including future reservations for every stay I am able to reside in this beautiful property... a true gem in management. Every other employee was far above the norm for administrative staff, smiling happy and attentive...including Adam Daigeneau. Look forward to spending many more business/ personal visits to this property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Jewel of the Starwood Stable, that sounds like a movie! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with our followers. Jennifer Joyner is a great leader in Hospitality and we glad she is on our team. I will pass along your comments to leadership team.
Warm Regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
Arcadia, California
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

The staff as a whole are so warm and friendly. The valet guys are funny and so willing to help with everything. I was always greeted with a hello, good morning or good evening from everyone I passed. The rooms were clean. I liked the pool cause it was shallow enough for my 3 years old daughter to tiptoe along. The 2 pools down at the newer part of the hotel are deeper so she couldn't in the pool but that area is great as well. They have lots of things outside of the pool to play with. The private entrance unto Legoland is the best plus. It's within walking distance and it saves you money on parking! I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone who wants to visit Legoland.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hospitality is our Middle name! Thank you for your 5 Star review of the hotel and your experience. We look forward to many more stays.
Cheers,
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I knew I made the right decision when i booked an overnight stay here for our 2-day Legoland visit. We took the  coaster train from Old Town San Diego to Carlsbad Poinsettia Station. Then rode in a van at $5 per person. We were dropped off at the hotel in 10minutes. Location of the resort is convenient because they also have an exclusive access to Legoland which is just an 8minute walk. We arrived at the resort at 2pm and was immediately given a room. Check in and out was smooth. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Lobby is cozy and there's a shop where you can buy drinks, sandwiches,meds and toiletries. The resort has a resto called 20/20 that we tried for dinner, and it was very good(try the ribeye steak) and the price was reasonable too. The service was excellent. Our room was on Building 1, which is a minute or two walk from the lobby. The room and bathroom are clean with neat sheets & towels and basic amenities. Coffeemaker and 2bottled water are provided. The location of the resort feels safe ( since I was only travelling w/my 10 year old son).  They also have a nice pool. Glad that we were given a late check out at 1pm, and they provided a free shuttle to bring us at Carlsbad Village( Just inform the guy at the valet and they'd be happy to assist you). The rate that I got was not only reasonable but worth it. My son and I had a really  wonderful and very relaxing stay. I recommend this resort for families visiting Legoland. Keep up the good work Sheraton!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank BinLim
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa while you were in Carlsbad. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Easter festivities at the hotel. It was so fun to see all kids having fun at the egg hunt. We hope that you have an opportunity to comeback this summer for Dive in Movies on Friday and Saturday beginning Memorial weekend.
All the Best
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Did a one nighter here the night before Easter Sunday. Tried to applied for SNA upgrade, but no suites were available. Got assigned to the Deluxe coastal view room on the third floor in building 1. $12 resort fee is waived for Platinum guest. Parked in the limited space underground parking. I thought continental breakfast was a standard platinum benefit, but not here. I can choose to either have the 500 SPG points or the continental breakfast as my Platinum welcome gift. With the continental breakfast, you can choose anything on the menu and they will provide a $15 credit per person for up to two. We choose the standard "platinum" breakfast which includes coffee, juice, pastry, cereal, yogurt, and fruit bowl. We didn't eat much, just wanted to have some coffee and fruit, so this was actually perfect. Did not get a bill since the waitress said everything was taken care of. We left a cash tip. It was a very nice touch to have the easter egg hunt for hotel guests (and those who opted to have Sunday brunch there). It was very nicely organized. They split out the resort children guests into two groups, those 7 and under were at the lawn at 9:30AM, and those 8 and over had a more challenging hunt at a different place at 9:45AM. Then those attending Sunday brunch had their egg hunt at 1PM. They also had the Easter Bunny available for pictures starting at 8:30AM. The walkway to the private entrance to Legoland is pretty easy. Walk down the hill no more than 10 minutes (it is a very quick walk down hill). The entrance will "dump" you by Castle Hill inside Legoland. Overall, the property is nice, however, not too many suites available for upgrade.

All the Best
SF bay area
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and 2 boys (teenager and elementary-school aged) stayed 1 night at this hotel during our visit to Legoland.

Location: Great spot for Legoland. You walk through the parking lot and up a small path to the entrance. There is 1 person scanning tickets. I could see how it may be backed up like another reviewer mentions, but worth the wait to walk into the park and be on the opposite side of the main entrance to hit the rides in that area. You literally walk into the Hideaways playground.

Property: The hotel is fairly new and luxurious, probably the nicest Sheraton I have seen. Open lobby, lots of granite and marble. Nice pool although we didn't use it. Very quiet, there is no traffic anywhere nearby. Apparently the hotel was pretty full, but it did not seem crowded at all.

Service: We ate at the restaurant onsite twice, for lunch and breakfast. Both times we had good experiences. The food was tasty. The prices were good for hotel fare, and much more value than paying the same amount and eating in Legoland park. The breakfast buffet had eggs, sausage, waffles, cereal, oatmeal and homeade pastries, cost $10 per child, $20 per adult.

Room: -2 stars: After a full day at Legoland, we check into our room - a King Corner Suite. The room is oversized with lots of floor space, but only 1 King (more like Queen-sized) bed! The description online had mentioned a "Sleeper top bed" I thought was a 2nd bed, but which is referring to the King bed with an extra "cushion" on the mattress. The website had also specifically stated this room could accommodate 4 adults. At check in and on my reservation, I clearly stated we had 4 people in our party. No one pointed this discrepancy out. When I called down to guest services, the woman did not offer any assistance nor acknowledge any problem. I had to ask for a roller bed, and was told only 1 could be sent up because of fire code, and that the other rooms with 2 queens were sold out. The king was not big enough to hold me, my husband and my son, so he ended up sleeping on the hard floor with blankets and a restless night. Clearly, for $300 per night, the room was not worth it.

The corner room was fairly quiet, we did not hear much noise from other guests other than the typical child running down the hall.

A few days after we returned, I sent an email to the generic "guestservices" address through the website. Within 12 hours, the Guest Services Manager had responded, apologized, and provided us partial compensation for the room. It was too bad she was not available when we checked-in that day, but I was impressed with her effort and response. +1 star back.

So, I would overall recommend this hotel if you want to be close to Legoland in a more upscale property without the toddler-craziness vibe that the Legoland Hotel has. The King Corner Suite is not suitable for a family of 4, and more appropriate for a couple or 2 parents with a toddler. I'd definitely take advantage of having a meal onsite, and golfing which seemed to be closeby as well.

Room Tip: King Corner Suite only holds 2-3 max!
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here last week for the start of our girls trip (no husbands and no kiddos). Check in was easy, quick and when we got to our room, it was perfect. We had a coastal view room which is slightly misleading because you almost need binaulars to see a tiny inch of coast in the distance. We ate twice at the restaurant and enjoyed happy hour by the pool. Both our meals were great, wine was good and wait staff very competent. Happy hour was super because it started at 3:30 - yippee!!! This would be a great place to stay with family. The pool and things around it are very family friendly and kids of all ages would have a blast. If you are wanting something by the water you should look elsewhere. WE watched the sunset from the patio of the hotel restaurant which was beautiful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Large clean room. 3 min walk across the parking lot was a separate entrance to Legoland. Ordered room service, the food was good however they forgot 2 of my items and I had to wait another 10 mins to get those.