“Nightmare check-in”

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Arrive at 3pm told room is not guaranteed until 4pm. That is pushing it. We have a wedding event to attend at 5:30pm. Need to shower and such. We wait until 4pm return to the front desk greeted with no smile and as if she is bored and to be told our room isn't ready maybe another 15 minutes. I know that doesn't sound like much but we are on a time crunch. I ask for a manager. No hurry here either. I give up and ask for the general managers number. I get the assistant managers phone number. Finally here comes the supervisor I believe. He now has a room for us. Now I'm so frustrated I don't even want to attend the event we drove here for. It's not like this is a cheap hotel. We stay at Sheraton for service. We will no longer stay at Sheraton and I would recommend this property doesn't have much to offer you as we'll. stay at a Hyatt.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa S
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. Weddings are supposed to be a fun and joyous occasions I am sorry your experience added stress to the day. While it can be challenging for us to get the guestrooms available when needed for early check-ins we always do our best to accommodate the requests when we can but for us to not have a room available for standard check in time is not acceptable and we will be addressing this issue internally. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay and the special event. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact me, Jennifer Beck-Eding, at 760-827-2412.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Check in was smooth. Hotel doesn't seem to worry about cleanliness. Food trays spent many more than 8 hrs in the hallways. Hallway rug had some spilled on it one morning, it was the next day before they decided to vacuum it up. We were on the second floor and could here every step of the person above us, and they walked around a lot. It's definitely close to legoland if that's where you're going but other than that, for a couple getting away I think I'll look for a different place next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crabber73

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations for your stay. We pride ourselves on our customer service and doing our best to customize each of our guests stay to suit their individual needs. I am sorry we failed to do this for you. I will also be addressing your feedback regarding the trays and spill in the hallway. We are among the top ranking Sheratons in Cleanliness so I find this out of character and concerning as we of course want to maintain our high standards.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Room had a beautiful view over-looking the ocean. Room was spacious, clean and attractive. Refrigerator was not working but was replaced quickly. Staff is very friendly. Used the hotel shuttle several times to visit spots within 5 miles of hotel. Hallways were noisey a few times late at night - but what can one expect with excited families that have visited LegoLand. Swimming Pool is good. Major Complaint - they forgot my wake up call the morning I left early for the airport. They forgot my wake up call before early am trip to airport when I stayed there a couple of years ago too. Overall - a very positive impression.

Room Tip: For a little extra you can get a "Coastal" Room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I am happy to hear you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay. I do apologize for the missed wake up call. We will be reviewing our policy and procedures with staff and use your feedback as a coaching opportunity. I hope we can welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Arriving to the hotel we dropped off our bags and decided on the self parking versus valet so my husband checked us in and me and my kids walked to the room with our baggage as my husband parked the car. Valet is kind of expensive, if I remember correctly it was 18.00 a night. Walking into our room (in building 1 which I would recommend because it's the closest to the pool and main building) it was clean and spacious. Most importantly the beds were very comfortable which can make and break a hotel for me. Every room has a balcony that holds 2 chairs and a side table and that's it not much space for anything else. The bathroom was also a lot bigger then I expected but again nothing special. The shower head was a little weak it annoyed my husband. The room does have a small refrigerator in it which was great for us with two kids.
The absolute perfect hotel for a family going to LEGOLAND. I hate to stay at a place twice but when we return to LEGOLAND we are staying here again. You can't beat the convenience of walking down the trail to LEGOLAND and being able to walk back so our 3 year old or 5 month old can have a break and then walk back for the second half of the day. We really felt like we got to see LEGOLAND that way and not keep going until exhausted because we weren't going back. The private Sheraton entrance is never busy which is a huge plus and you can buy the tickets there as well.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful the smell of fresh flowers is everywhere. The lobby is nice and has a computer center if needed. The pool is nice especially the heated one, they have cabañas that aren't extra, tables and chairs if you order food by the pool and the nicest restrooms with showers in them by the pool I've ever seen.
They have a little store with anything you would need if you forgot and plus a lot of toys for the kids. There restaurant we ate at every morning and it was delicious and we were there for a week. We opted for the buffet and looked forward to breakfast every morning because of it.

I went to there gym once it was small but got the job done.

We loved our stay and when we go back to LEGOLAND we will be staying here.

Room Tip: Choose a room in building 1.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank BrickerHouston

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I am so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here for 1 night while doing business in Carlsbad. We were pleasantly surprised with the resort. The grounds were lovely on driving into the property which was really refreshing. We were able to check in early, without any problems and our room was lovely. Staff were all very friendly and happy to give recommendations on where to eat etc. We ended up eating at the hotel restaurant as it was their "Tappa's" night. Food was delicious and service was excellent.
I was sad to leave and could definitely have stayed longer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. We usually always have a seasonal special event, such as the Tapas Night you experienced in Twenty/20 so I hope we can welcome you back and you can experience all we have to offer in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I am really pleased with our experience at the Sheraton Carlsbad. This hotel is truly lovely - well maintained, great service, gorgeous coastal views. Pool was an oasis - towels and chairs were plentiful and food/bar service came early and often. Private Legoland entrance located 5 minutes away was so appreciated!

My only complaint is that we arrived late (midnight) and were directed to underground parking, which was completely full. Had a car full of overtired kids and couldn't find a parking spot so ended up parking in the valet section. No help with luggage at that time of night so had to make several long trips from the parking lot to our room to bring luggage in.

Otherwise, wished we would have had time to use more of the facility - movies by the pool? Missed that one!

Will be staying here again...and for a longer period of time!

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear little feet running around constantly, ask for the top floor. I will...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I am so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay. My apologies for the inconvenience upon arrival we will look into how we could have been of more assistance for you with our overnight staff. We of course want everyone’s arrival, no matter the time, to be as convenient and pleasant as possible. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future. During the summer season we have an assortment of daily activities for the kids so be sure to inquire at check-in and we can provide a calendar of events.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I came to Carlsbad to visit friends and wanted a few "me" days. This place was great. Friendly staff, the food is excellent. The room was great, I cannot say enough about the view, location, proximity to the outlet mall and entertainment The staff were wonderful. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed the facility so much I extended my stay 2 extra days. The spa is world class - so much so that I had an additional day of pampering there.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor, no noise above you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. It is always nice to hear what our guests liked about their experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back!