“A mixed review... You'll understand why”

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This really is a beautiful resort. Great pools. Nice staff. Close to Legoland and Carlsbad. I would like to give it four stars, but my guests had a stressful experience. Long story short, they checked out a day after us and accidentally left a valuable item in their room. Within a half hour of leaving they discovered the error and immediately called the hotel. As they made their way back to the Sheraton, the hotel called and said nothing was found. My guests were very upset. After four hours the valuable was found in the laundry chute. Was it an accident? Did someone steal it and have second thoughts? We will never know. I know my guests were relieved and the staff looked multiple times to find it, but there were some missteps in communicating with my guests during their four hour ordeal. After it was said and done, the manager did give my guests a free night with no restrictions so that was very nice. It had a good ending but I know my guests didn't like how some things were handled. As I read other reviews, I think there could be some training for the staff in how to deliver customer service that their guests truly find friendly and inviting. I think sometimes the staff can get too worried about being "right" and not enough about being understanding and flexible.

Room Tip: To really see the far off ocean you need an upper floor room. Balconies on bottom floors are bigger...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank katwave1
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post for Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. It was a pleasure speaking with your guests and I am happy we were able to get the valuables back to them and look forward to their return stay. Yes, it did take some time to locate as we exhausted all our possible options of where it could possibly be located in the resort, ultimately finding it in the laundry. We do have a beautiful resort and we pride ourselves on maintaining not only the aesthetics but our high customer service standards. I am sorry we did not meet your service expectations and we will use this situation and feedback for coaching opportunities.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had family here and they stayed at this hotel due to it being close to my home. I usually recommend this hotel or 2 competing resorts in the area for my business clients that come in as well.

This will be the LAST time I suggest this place.

Check in time is at 4pm and we called at 3 to see if we could check in early. I was given the standard "check in time is 4pm, but we could go in and pre-register". Upon asking questions what that means, it basically means that we can check in, but won't get a room # and would have to check in again to get a room # and leave credit card for charges. So its not really a pre-register.

I asked if the room is available right now, and if so, I will be there in 5 minutes and check in. They were not allowed to release that information until 4pm. (so much for accommodating guests).

After 4pm, we arrive and my aunt is handicapped and can't walk much. Upon check in, was told no luggage service available, and they had no golf carts to take guests to the rooms, which was very far. they wouldn't grant me access to drive to the building, as it is a "valet only" lot.

My aunt had to walk to her room. I also could not leave my car at the circle drive for a few minutes to help with luggage. I had to pay for the car to be valet, as it was an "active driveway". I asked if I could park on the side where other cars were parked and was presented with a rude "I told you what you need to do if you want in".

The treatment was the same every time we went to pick her up or drop her off. Absolutely ridiculous for a handicapped senior citizen to be put through this type of hurdles.

Aunt also experienced rude behavior by front desk staff when she asked questions. Also had to ask numerous times for towels as they were not in the room.

I called a few moments ago and asked for the manager to discuss the issues and was told there is no manager on site. I asked if there was a supervisor, and was given a "Sir, there are no managers here on site".

Oh, one more thing...watch out for the Coyote's on the property. Reported to them, and they could care less...

It's officials the The Inmates Are Running the Asylum!

DO NOT STAY HERE. Please check out Hyatt Aviara or La Costa Resort. I have never had an issue there, and I am a local.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank benzed1967

Thank you so much for taking the time to post for Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. It is disappointing to hear that we have not provided the level of service that not only you expect, but that we expect of ourselves. We pride ourselves on providing our guests an exceptional stay tailored to their specific needs and we clearly have fallen short for you and your aunt. I would like to speak with you in more detail regarding your stay if you would like. Please contact me, Megan Conner at 760-827-2437. In regards to the wildlife on the property, as a local, I’m sure you are all too aware of the fires that destroyed many wildlife habitats in the area. While we should have communicated this during the time of your call, we have been instructed by Animal Care and Control to not approach displaced wildlife. Rather, to let them move through, as they will, to avoid any aggressive encounters.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This review is specifically for the Spa at the hotel. I had purchased gift cards at an auction for spa treatments and decided to "treat" myself prior to a wedding I was attending. The attendant at the spa was friendly and to location was warm and inviting. I proceeded to have a deep tissue massage with Victor that was the best massage I had ever had. He truly understood the anatomy of a "desk jockey and travel worn" body. I then had a lovely facial with Kati who was very friendly and expert at providing me with options on what I wanted done and advice on what to do in the future. The "waiting area" between treatments at the spa was clean, comfortable and there were lovely snacks, water, tea, etc. There was a steam room and an ample sized locker room with both robes, towels and spa shoes. An attendant came regularly to empty bins and check on the condition of the area. Overall a lovely spa experience that I would soon repeat!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Ocean Pearl Spa. I am very happy to hear you had an enjoyable experience. Our therapists and staff are top notch and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Poor front desk service - lack of personal service which should be the standard in a hotel like this. No smile or greeting or recognition on being an elite loyalty rewards member. Don't expect any upgrades for SPG members.

I saw at least 5 dirty trays on the floor when we checked in and when we came back from dinner at 11pm, they were still there. Really grossed me out and it was smelly.

Very convenient if you want to go to Legoland - many kids here walking around in bathing suits.

We stayed four nights in Carlsbad and the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront resort was much better.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank historyteacher50

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I apologize that you did not have the type of experience we expect our guests to have. We are a leader in the industry and pride ourselves on providing our guests exceptional stays and it is never ok when we fall short. I have taken your comments and discussed your experience with the front office leadership and our Food & Beverage leadership so we can use them to coach our team and help make us better. Thank you again for your review and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a stay that meet and exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Arrive at 3pm told room is not guaranteed until 4pm. That is pushing it. We have a wedding event to attend at 5:30pm. Need to shower and such. We wait until 4pm return to the front desk greeted with no smile and as if she is bored and to be told our room isn't ready maybe another 15 minutes. I know that doesn't sound like much but we are on a time crunch. I ask for a manager. No hurry here either. I give up and ask for the general managers number. I get the assistant managers phone number. Finally here comes the supervisor I believe. He now has a room for us. Now I'm so frustrated I don't even want to attend the event we drove here for. It's not like this is a cheap hotel. We stay at Sheraton for service. We will no longer stay at Sheraton and I would recommend this property doesn't have much to offer you as we'll. stay at a Hyatt.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa S

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. Weddings are supposed to be a fun and joyous occasions I am sorry your experience added stress to the day. While it can be challenging for us to get the guestrooms available when needed for early check-ins we always do our best to accommodate the requests when we can but for us to not have a room available for standard check in time is not acceptable and we will be addressing this issue internally. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay and the special event. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact me, Jennifer Beck-Eding, at 760-827-2412.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Check in was smooth. Hotel doesn't seem to worry about cleanliness. Food trays spent many more than 8 hrs in the hallways. Hallway rug had some spilled on it one morning, it was the next day before they decided to vacuum it up. We were on the second floor and could here every step of the person above us, and they walked around a lot. It's definitely close to legoland if that's where you're going but other than that, for a couple getting away I think I'll look for a different place next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crabber73

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations for your stay. We pride ourselves on our customer service and doing our best to customize each of our guests stay to suit their individual needs. I am sorry we failed to do this for you. I will also be addressing your feedback regarding the trays and spill in the hallway. We are among the top ranking Sheratons in Cleanliness so I find this out of character and concerning as we of course want to maintain our high standards.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Room had a beautiful view over-looking the ocean. Room was spacious, clean and attractive. Refrigerator was not working but was replaced quickly. Staff is very friendly. Used the hotel shuttle several times to visit spots within 5 miles of hotel. Hallways were noisey a few times late at night - but what can one expect with excited families that have visited LegoLand. Swimming Pool is good. Major Complaint - they forgot my wake up call the morning I left early for the airport. They forgot my wake up call before early am trip to airport when I stayed there a couple of years ago too. Overall - a very positive impression.

Room Tip: For a little extra you can get a "Coastal" Room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I am happy to hear you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay. I do apologize for the missed wake up call. We will be reviewing our policy and procedures with staff and use your feedback as a coaching opportunity. I hope we can welcome you back soon!