“A good option for families for Legoland”

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We tried to stay at Legoland Hotel again but couldnt get a room. I remembered seeing on the map that the Sheraton is also attached. it worked out pretty well for us with 5 year old kids. Less fun but more adult and less chaotic. We got the coastal view (distant but decent) room. It is about a 10 min walk to the park, so a stroller helps

The beds were comfy. Balcony was teeny but able to leave the sliding door open for an ocean breeze at night. Toiletries were subpar (cheap shampoo and no Qtips). service was very good but the check in area is weirdly set up and they need at least one more helper there. The biggest problem is that there is only one restaurant on the premises. The food is good but it is good that this hotel is well located by many restaurants. Overall it is a decent choice if you're going to Legoland.

• Stayed: July 2014
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Carlsbad as your place to stay. I do hope the family enjoyed their time in our city. I am glad that you were able to relax and unwind at the resort after a day at LEGOLAND. A 5 year old can sure take a lot out of you. If only we could bottle their energy. If your travels bring you back come see us on a weekend when we have movies at the pool every Friday and Saturday nights during the summer.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We are currently staying at the Sheraton, Carlsbad...and having an amazing experience! The resort is fun, beautiful, and family-friendly (although we are here on our first kid-free vacation in a year). Upon check-in, we met a pleasant and energetic young woman named Sara. We frequent resorts and hotels (although often with our little ones), and have rarely met someone as customer oriented and eager to please guests as Sara. She just wanted us to have the most pleasant experience with the Sheraton that we could possibly have. I often think that if companies hired and promoted employees that treat their business as if it was their own, they could build a legacy. Taking this theory, the Sheraton should promote this remarkable young lady. We spoke to the manager on site at the Sheraton and she advised that the only way to give Sara compliments within the corporation was to get on tripadviser.com. Though I feel it would be great to have a better internal system to promote amazing service, I am following the protocol and posting this to tripadvisor. I hope that Sheraton recruits more employees that can deliver the personal touches, hospitality and service like Sara was able to provide for us.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful complements about Sara. She is one of new team members this summer and she is knocking it out of the park. She is a true example of what hospitality is about. We strive as a team to make each guest stay a memorable one. We hope to see you and your family back again soon.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton in May 2014 because it was so close to LEGOLAND. It is close and the hotels and grounds are beautiful, however the staff was horrible. We had problems with the guests above us being extremely loud. We complained, nothing was done. They charged us twice for parking, we only had 1 vehicle. It took them forever to figure that out. Now we just found out, they just charged us another $200 two months later? No one seems to know why and no one knows how to fix it. Save yourself the trouble and headache, stay somewhere else...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Erick S

On behalf of the entire team at Sheraton we are so sorry to learn of your experience. I would love the opportunity to fix your bill and look into your concerns I may be reach at mconner@sheratoncarlsbad.com. We never want our guest to leave unhappy or feeling as though the hotel did not exceed your expectations. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed June 23rd - 26th
When I arrived, the bellman/valet came out to greet me. I told him that I was meeting my husband inside and that once we found out if our room was ready, we would park the car. He said, no problem and to just leave the keys with him.
Our room was not ready, so they took down our information and told us they would call once it was. We went to lunch and upon our return, our room was ready.
The room was beautiful (huge bathroom which is always a plus when traveling with kids). It had plenty of room for us, our two older children (one is 16), our two year old, and even had a balcony with a view of the ocean and Legoland (which the kids loved).
We had requested a crib when making the reservation and were told at check in that the crib would be brought right up and it was.
When I went to put things away in the fridge, I noticed that it was not cold and had some extra water on the back shelf.
My daughter and I headed down to Twenty/20 for some Shirley-temples and upon our return to the room, my husband mentioned to one of the bellmen that our fridge was not cold and had some extra water on the back shelf. He asked if we could have someone come up and look at it.
We could not have been in our room more than 5 minutes before another fridge was brought up. This fridge worked and was cold in minutes...loved his "can do" attitude.
The private path down to Legoland was a HUGE plus. It allowed us to come back for lunch, bring the toddler up for naps, and allowed the teenager to come and go from Legoland without my worrying.
I have very high expectations while traveling and I cannot think of anything that I would have changed with this trip.
Cannot wait to go back just my husband and me!

PS
The food and service at Twenty/20 was wonderful. We did not have anything we did not like. Thanks again to Chris the restaurant manager for making me feel “normal” and even relaxed after a very tiring day at Legoland with a cranky toddler.

Room Tip: Paying the extra money for a view of the ocean/Legoland is worth the money.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hammie1206

What a great Review!!! We are glad to hear that you and your family had a great stay and experience with the Sheraton Carlsbad. We aim to be the best of the best. The hotel is in a great location for the families such as yourself that want to travel back and forth between the LEGOLAND. We hope that you will continue to make us your home when in Carlsbad.
All the Best,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights while attending a conference. The location is just a few miles East off the 5 fwy, be alert to find the road and entrance to what I call resort row. One could easily pass the entrance. The valet staff greeted me when I pulled up to check in, they opened my door and allowed me to leave the car while I checked in.

The lobby is an open area with a direct view to the pool area. A nice touch is the lack of a big bulky front desk, there are two stations that minimize the clutter. The concierge desk if just off to the right and also not obtrusive. Hard screens shield the tech center to the left, a great area to print a boarding pass or check your next destination.

The young lady that processed my check in was pleasant, courteous and provided a good overview of the resort. I went back to my vehicle to drive to my building, again the valet staff opened the car door for me a very nice touch. There is self serve parking under the building in proximity to the room, this is an awesome option.

The halls are clean with excellent lighting, easy to read numbers and simple access to elevators. My room was about the middle of the row of rooms, a swipe of my key card and I was in a double bed room. Being the conference folks booked my room, I cannot complain that I did not receive a king bed. I did return to the front desk before I unpacked to inquire if I could change to a king room and was informed the resort was booked. No problem.

The room was spacious with simple but stylish furnishings, the restroom was large with nice amenities. I was on the first floor with a view of the back of the property. It was not the worse view I have ever had in my travels. So here is one pet peeve I have; if a hotel adopts the resort title please use a screen under the desk to cover up the wires. When one goes into the horizontal position all the wires are visible, very unsightly. In the shower, invest in a shelf other than a cheap wire soap holder. Just saying in my mind, I'm at a resort paying resort prices pay a bit more attention to details.

The Twenty/20 Wine Bar and Grill provided a nice dining area as well as breakfast. I had the privilege to enjoy my breakfast on the patio with an ocean view. Yeah, the ocean is at a distance but still an ocean view. I was part of a conference which provided the opportunity to use the facilities. The conference staff were accommodating and friendly, the food was surprisingly good and the facilities well suited for a conference.

The draw for this resort is the proximity to Legoland with a private entrance. There were a lot of children, but the noise level was mellow. I heard the footstep of the room above and the muffled voices of my neighbors. The fitness facility is better than most resorts, I really did appreciate the cleanliness of the fitness room.

Overall, if I did not have business in the area I probably would not come back for no other reason that we do not have children and I prefer to be closer to the beach. However, this is a very nice resort and highly recommend this to families and event planners.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay while on business. The summer months in Carlsbad do bring a number of families to the resort. We do appreciate your for feedback about the room, it is important to hear from our guest as we are not the ones that experience it as you do. I will be speaking with our engineering team to see if we can’t find a solution for the cords. I hope that your experience in Twenty/20 Restaurant will bring you back when you are in the area. It is a great patio to dine on for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here a single night, June 29. As SPG members we’ve stayed at numerous Sheraton properties and we’ve never been disappointed. We chose this property because of its proximity to the Crossings at Carlsbad golf course where my wife enjoys their Sunday brunch offerings.

We actually arrived around 10am and tried to check-in. Naturally, nothing was available at that time. So they took our information and credit card and said they’d call us when our room was ready. During our brunch at the golf course, the phone rang at about 12 noon advising us our room was ready.

We arrived back around 1pm, picked up our keys and went to our room. Typical Sheraton. Very comfortable beds, well appointed room. Large bathroom. Small balcony with chairs that gave us a view of the ocean.

Yes, Legoland is across the street, so there are more children here than normal. The grounds are very nice. Took an early evening stroll to their restaurant, Twenty/20 Grill. Enjoyed some drinks and appetizers during happy hour. Also noticed they had a $10 kids buffet, so that when you come back from the park, the kids don’t have to sit and wait for food. We don’t have kids, but plenty of nieces and nephews and we thought that was a great idea.

The pool area has a ping pong table, foosball and an outdoor pool table for all to enjoy.

We would definitely return to this property if we find ourselves in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future. If you are bringing your niece and nephews we also offer daily youth activities and Dive In movies on the weekends during the summer months.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We wanted to stay outside of San Diego and chose this Sheraton resort, hoping it would be relaxing and low-key. We were so pleased when driving up to this resort as the grounds are very attractive and the hotel is on a hill with a view of the ocean in the distance. We stopped in early to see if perhaps our room might be ready, and thankfully it was. We chose the underground parking for $12 a day instead of valeting. The underground parking is somewhat hard to find and its location is not clearly marked, but once we found it, it was just fine and close to elevators. Our room was perfect for us and had a nice view garden view. The room had everything we needed: wonderful bed, thick, fluffy towels, large flat-screen TV, area for laptop, comfortable chairs and good lighting. And, it was clean. I would have liked better lighting in the bathroom for applying make-up, but not a huge deal. The Starbucks coffee available in the room was also appreciated. We walked around the resort, noticing the huge pool area that was very inviting and the many lounge chairs and various sitting areas. We visited the fitness room and it is great - very clean, well equipped and it had herbal-scented wash cloths in a little refrigerator to cool off after working out. - nice touch. We didn't get an opportunity to check out their Twenty/20 restaurant, but it looked interesting. This hotel is practically next door to Legoland, so it seems like a good choice if you are going there. We would definitely stay here again when visiting near Carlsbad.

Room Tip: It looked as though there were rooms with more expansive views with the ocean in the distance, but I...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tempe1Traveler

Thank you so much for your review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m sorry the lighting in the bathroom was not up to expectations. We are actually going to be scheduling a project to address just that in the future. Next time you stay with us you will have to check out Twenty-20 the views and sangria alone are fantastic and we have special events weekly such as Tapas Nights on Thursday and live music on Saturdays that are always a treat.