“LivingAwareDaily.com's Green Hotel Review of the Cypress Inn”
Review of Cypress Inn

Cypress Inn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Seattle, Washington, United States
“LivingAwareDaily.com's Green Hotel Review of the Cypress Inn”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Carmel-by-the-Sea just may be our favorite spot in the country. A short two-hour drive from the San Francisco area off of the famous Hwy 1 lands you in this cozy, picturesque village by the water. If you go, you must stay, and there is no where better to lay your head than the Cypress Inn.

We got very lucky on our trip down the coast a little over a year ago. We literally walked in moments after a last-minute cancellation to secure the last room in their boutique hotel during the holidays. We were so in love after one night we begged to see if they had availability for an extra night and it just wasn’t possible, but we knew we would be back. A few weeks ago we made our return and it was even better than my memories.

This historic white building with its iconic shingled roof is nestled a block off the main drag, in the heart of Carmel-by-the-Sea. The moment you pull up you know you’re somewhere special. After a quick unload and up the beautiful tiled steps, possibly letting a friendly pooch pass by with their owner and you’re at the welcoming reception desk of a California landmark.

When we were in town the weather could not have been better, the windows were open and you could enjoy the soothing breeze and smells from their patio garden. We made our way to the top floor open air terrace and to the front door of our spacious second floor suite. It had everything you would possibly need, a living room with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, recycling bin, and their signature complimentary sherry and fruit basket.

One thing I love about these gorgeous historic relics is that most of them still have their original operable windows in the rooms to allow for ventilation, natural light and those cool sea breezes in the evening .We set down our luggage, grabbed our Vivreau water bottle from the bathroom and popped downstairs for a fill of fresh sparkling water. If you haven’t seen or tried this water, it’s great. You have your choice between still and sparkling in a reusable glass jar that is reuseable, free of harmful BPA, and keeps plastic out of the landfills. We first saw these bottles while dining at Staple and Fancy in Seattle and I was so happy to see that the Cypress Inn had decided to use them to in their efforts to be eco-friendly.

One of the many things that makes this hotel so incredible is their space for guests to mingle and dine. Our favorite is the patio area by the fire. This little nook is the perfect place for the Afternoon Tea or a glass of local wine. If you’re hungry, you can order one of their many Seafood Watch recommended bites from the moderately priced menu. We had a glass of a local Pinto Grigio that was cool, crisp, and delicious, with the sun on our face – pure heaven.

The Cypress Inn isn’t just lovely, charming, and in the perfect setting, it is the greenest, most eco-friendly hotel in the area that we could find. I met with the hotel’s Director of Operations, Ms. Amanda LeVett, and her General Manager, Fiona VanderWall to discuss the profound renovations and upgrades they’ve completed to the property to keep their guests, pets, and staff healthy and happy. These women work tirelessly to make sure that they are choosing chemical free, eco-friendly toiletries and detergents for the rooms. I loved hearing that they used recycled denim in the walls for insulation to always keep the building comfortable and the challenges they face working with an older structure. Low and zero-VOC paint throughout the property to support indoor air quality, an extensive composting program, and the list just keeps going on and on.

The entire process led Amanda LeVett to help found Sustainable Carmel, a Non-Profit group through their Chamber of Commerce. Their organization helps to educate and create policies at the local level that have a big impact on the plush environment around them.

This is why we, at Living Aware, do what we do. To bring you quality, sustainable options that we have slept at, eaten, worn, read, watched, listened to, drank, bathed in, scrubbed on or off, grown, … for you to choose over ones that may not be as eco-friendly. To choose hotels like the spectacular Cypress Inn and their staff that are making a difference in the world.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NestNoshPosh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I recently stayed at the Cypress Inn for a friend's Birthday, and from the moment they answered my phone call to make the reservation, I was met with unparalleled attention to detail and graciousness. Randy, who answered the call, worked hard to find me the right room at the right price, and even followed up the day before our arrival to make sure everything was perfect. It was then that he upgraded us to the spectacular Tower Suite, where we were met with an iced bottle of champagne. Carmel can be a challenging place to find decent restaurants (alas, they probably think most tourists won't be back, so why bother?) but Terry's Lounge at the Cypress Inn is consistently my favorite. Love their burgers and Moroccan-inspired dishes, excellent cocktails, and very friendly service. On Saturday night we enjoyed a wonderful acoustic performer in the hotel's "living room," along with an affable group of dog-lovers and their dogs. It was a warm and cozy experience. The room's amenities are very nice, although the room didn't have good ventilation at all and required two air conditioners, a plug-in fan, and a cieling fan to be on at all times. However, I'm sure this isn't the case in the other rooms.

Room Tip: Obviously mid-week will get you a much better deal and nicer room. But it never hurts to call the ni...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shadow65
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This hotel is in a great, central location. The rooms are beautiful, but very small. They do not have cribs or pack n plays. I was told they cater more to people with dogs, so I definitely would not recommend staying here if you have children. I actually felt like we were crazy for staying here with a kid, even though people brought their dogs into dinner with them (to me that's crazy, and kinda unhygienic!). The rooms are beautiful though, and very clean. They have a great continental breakfast with eggs, oatmeal, muffins, bagels, organic yogurt, etc. It was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Don't stay in room 115 if you like to go to bed before 11pm, because it shares a wall with the kitchen and it's pretty loud. There's also a good amount of noise from foot traffic too, do you've got noises on both sides.
Overall I'd definitely stay here again if it was just my husband and I, and maybe our dog.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank gustavlou
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 4 June 2012

On prior trips to Carmel I always wanted to stay at Cypress Inn, it looks so inviting and historic, and finally on fourth trip we were able to get an accomodation. Travleing from OH to CA, we do not travel with pets but like the atmosphere that pet-freindly places provide. Much to our surprise the weekend we stayed was a Poodle-fest in Carmel and we were the only guests who did not have one or more poodles with us. The Poodle parade made for an over-the-top scene. Parking is such a problem in Carmel that once you find a space you do not want to move it until checkout, so an inn surrounded my many restaurants is a find and this one qualifies. Did not eat at their restaurant because on the first day we did do a late lunch and service was excruciatingly slow, maybe it was all those poodles! But front desk had several good recommendations nearby. Breakfast is filling and with good selection. Room was small, dated decor and expensive but I know from prior trips, that's central Carmel. The outdoor courtyard area and/or living room is great for a drink before or after dinner. Staff was freindly and helpful, our room was not ready upon arrival and many guests and pets were arriving at the same time, the front desk remained friendly and helpful despite many guest voices vying for attention. Only caveats have to do with price paid for small room,

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hazelmom
San Jose, California
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This our favorite inn in Carmel. When we travel we like to take our dog with us. The Cypress Inn is elegant and the service is excellent. The rooms are not spacious, but very comfortable. The bar and patio have dogs and people during the cocktail hour. The inn is centrally located in downtown Carmel. The rates are not cheap, but you get excellent value for what you pay.

Room Tip: We really like the rooms overlooking the patio.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael A
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have been staying here for many years, several times a year. The service is always excellent, the staff overly attentive and gracious. I travel all around the world but always look forward to my stays at The Cypress Inn. In addition to being a beautiful property, they have a wonderful restaurant that is charming and the food is consistently good. It is a place you always feel comfortable even if dining alone. I find it charming that they treat the pups like they are guests too! The rooms are very nice and am always impressed with the linens and how clean they keep them. Staying at the Cypress Inn is like staying with a great friend. They treat you like you are their most welcome guest and I appreciate that!

I would like to acknowledge in particular, Mr. Randy Blake, who always makes certain that my reservations are taken care of and that my room is ready upon arrival. I have a favorite he always makes certain to book for me! He goes that extra mile to have the lights turned on - I can tell he checks the room before I get there. Is such a nice feeling to arrive at a hotel that way. Makes traveling so much more enjoyable when you know you are being looked after and that someone cares enough to go that extra mile. He is a true professional in every way and I appreciate his fastidiousness and caring a great deal.
Miss Kate, at the front desk, couldn't be any more charming and has such a wonderful smile. Always more than happy to help with anything - love her!
Mr. Khamis Haji is another one I look forward to seeing - usually when I check out -THE most delightful smile. And Miss Reyna, who I see at breakfast is always great and welcoming - is so nice that she always remembers me! So thanks to you all at the wonderful Cypress Inn for making my stays there so enjoyable! I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank J T
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The Cypress Inn is charming and beautiful. It's clean, the rooms are perfect, the food is wonderful and the staff is over-the-top helpful and accommodating. This is the most dog friendly place we've ever stayed in. We've stayed in a few different places, but nothing comes close to the Cypress Inn. It was a real home away from home for us and we will never stay anywhere else when we're in Carmel. The added bonus is that we get to support Doris and her extraordinary efforts to help our four-legged friends. It's a win-win.

• Stayed May 2012