“Another wonderful stay @ this lovely hotel!”
Review of Cypress Inn

Cypress Inn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
“Another wonderful stay @ this lovely hotel!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I always love staying at The Cypress Inn and have for many years. This particular trip I was planning on driving from Marin to Montecito - but got a late start. I was getting very tired and decided to call the hotel to see if any rooms available. It was very last minute and I got Randy on the phone. Well, he not only booked me into a wonderful room, he was so unbelievable with directions. It was pitch dark out and I was having a hard time following signs. He guided me and reassured me - giving me estimated time etc. Then when I arrived, he had gone to my room and turned on lights and made sure it was warm enough. He carried my luggage up for me. He really went out of his way to make certain all was just perfect. And it was! I had a lovely dinner in Terry's Lounge. Food was excellent and so was all the staff. I love the pups that hang out there too! It just feels like coming home when I stay there. I so appreciate the personal touches and how much they care about their guests. Can't wait to return and thanks Mr. Randy for all your help - it made my trip so much nicer and I really appreciate it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephensls

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have been visiting the Cypress Inn for my wife's Birthday since 2004. It has never disappointed and we thoroughly enjoyed our recent, short (3 day/2 night) stay. We stayed in one of our favorite rooms (224) and have been lucky to stay in most all of the rooms in the renovated part of the Inn. A true benefit to the Cypress Inn is staying in the heart of Carmel By-the-Sea. After dining, shopping, visiting art galleries and taking breathtaking strolls on the ocean, you can pop back into your room and cozy up to the fireplace and take a nice nap! Dining is never far as Terry's Lounge is just downstairs (from 224) and open for food/drink and a wonderful extended continental breakfast. In the rooms complimentary Sherry, fruits/nuts and water is provided in glass bottles that you can refill at the bar. A nice surprise was a bottle of chilled champagne and two glasses for the birthday celebration present in our room upon arrival.

The Cypress Inn is a pet-friendly hotel and being pet lovers we always enjoy sharing our visit with all the fur kids around. It is quite a sight to see live music (some nights) in the fireplace room being enjoyed by both human and animal kind . Carmel, in general, is also pet-friendly and water bowls and treats are available throughout at various shops. Pet sitting is available for getting away and pet-friendly restaurants also make the visit to Carmel more entire family-friendly.

The staff at the Cypress Inn are wonderful. They are always helpful and willing to provide assistance with dining reservations, recommendations and sight-seeing trips to completely enhance your visit to this magical place! A great big thank you to Randy, Kate, Khamis and all the staff that made this last visit extremely memorable as well as our many in the past.

We look forward to visiting again soon!

Room Tip: We wholeheartedly recommend the rooms with the interior courtyard. They are close to the restaurant...
2 Thank Kris K
Pebble Beach, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We thought this was a wonderful hotel. If you are a fan of Doris Day and dogs then you will be in heaven here. Carmel may be the most dog friendly town on this planet. They are everywhere and the Cypress Inn is no exception, Doris Day may be one of the owners of the Cypress Inn and she is a very big dog lover so if you bring your four legged friend they will be welcomed. Having said all that about dogs let me say we liked this hotel for its location (right in the heart of Carmel by the Sea), the very friendly staff from the waiters to the front desk. The room we had was small however and, we had a room on the front of the hotel overlooking the street. If you opened your windows it could be a little noisy on occasions when people stopped to talk outside the front door to the hotel. Water pressure was good in the shower but a little weak in the sink (this is California after all and water restrictions etc.). The patio area is a good place to sit, have a drink or eat a meal. You will see many locals and other guests in this area. They have a very comfortable room inside the hotel across front checkin counter which has a fireplace and very comfy seats.

Room Tip: Not sure what their suites may be like or, if they have any. Maybe get a room towards the back of th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean O
Monterey, California
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Carmel's Mediterrean climate pairs perfectly with the Moorish influence of the Cypress Inn. Our corner room on the 2nd floor exceeded our expectations. There were scenic views of Cypress & Pines trees from the bed to the private outdoor patio. We dined at Terry's intimate Restaurant in the hotel with calming views of the garden patio. Jon, our Server offered outstanding service from beginning to end. We started off sharing the tasty beet salad, followed by the exotic Morrocan Chicken, presented with a Moorish clay dome. The effect went very well with the setting of the wall panels & beautiful overhead lamps at the bar. The filet migon was prepared just the way my husband likes it. The wine selection was great too.
Later in the evening, we were magically entertained by a very talented guitarist playing next to the fireplace in the main seating lounge. The Continental breakfast was very generous and lots to choose from...the best scrambled eggs I've ever had at a buffet. Overall it was a very memorable 1 night birthday get-a-way from check-in to check out!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cathy L
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Absolutely Wonderful! The hotel, the restaurant, the town, and the experience. We stayed at the Cypress Inn for 4 nights. We had two rooms. One room for our 3 teens and one for my wife and I. The rooms were extremely clean and very interesting. One of the rooms had an upstairs loft with a collection of antique books. The other room, while not as large, was also very tastefully decorated.
Also, the hotel has an incredible restaurant on site.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ron b
Manitowaning, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I agree with the comments about the front desk staff...could do a lot better. We had booked room 217 with a balcony overlooking the street. Wonderful sunny afternoon...great! Tried to have a nap after a long drive, about 3 p.m., which coinicided with prep time in the kitchen for dinner, the kitchen being right underneath our room. Sounded like they were hammering flooring and throwing pots and pans at each other....front desk said they were "pounding chicken", which I guess they figured was a legitimate response. I complained again when the noise level increased....front desk said "they think they had a note on file that I was warned about the noise", which was utter BS, and I said "nice try, but I booked on-line". I didn't appreciate the attitude. Long story short, got another room, #224, which had a whirlpool and a fireplace, but most importantly was quiet. Dinner in the lounge was great. Much better value for the $$ elsewhere in Carmel...

2 Thank Duncan T
CypressManager, General Manager at Cypress Inn, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Duncan T,

Thanks so much for sharing your comments. I'm sorry that your stay started off on a poor note. 217 is closer to the kitchen, and we are working to reduce any noise that may carry upstairs to this room, especially knowing how much our guests enjoy having a balcony. I do feel that we could have taken further steps to reduce the noise when you first reported it, and I sincerely apologize that a second call was necessary. However, I'm happy that we were able to find you an alternate, quiet room to allow you to enjoy the rest of your stay. Additionally, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. We have a great team that truly cares about our guests' experieces. I hope you'll come back and see us and would be delighted to personally assist with a future reservation. Again, thank you for your feedback - it allows to quickly identify opportunities for improvement. Your satisfaction is extremely important to us. With kind regards, Fiona Ayers - General Manager (831) 620-7450.
Houston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Such a beautiful hotel!!

The gentleman working the front desk in the evening when I arrived was incredibly helpful and kind. The restaurant staff was a pleasure, attentive, but not intrusive. The bar staff was very professional and the service and the food was impeccable.

The hotel is located in a perfect spot to walk Carmel and enjoy the area.

1 Thank Houston_Traveler2014