“An AMAZING experience at this charming, magical hotel”
Review of Cypress Inn

Cypress Inn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Los Angeles, California
“An AMAZING experience at this charming, magical hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I do not have enough kind words to say about this gorgeous, glorious hotel! The staff couldn't have been friendlier or kinder during our stay--always there with a sweet smile and taking such care to make sure that our time there was perfect and a "one of a kind" special experience. Fiona Ayers the General Manager of the hotel was SO lovely and warm to us--I can't remember ever meeting a hotel general manager during a hotel stay--let alone one that was so warm, caring, and accessible. Our hotel room was simply magnificent and SO charming--one of the most special hotel rooms I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. The food at the hotel restaurant (Terry's) was absolutely delicious. And everywhere you turned though out the property--there was even more charm, charm, and more charm! As if this all was not enough--this hotel is owned by THE Doris Day--and there are beautiful pictures and posters from her illustrious film career throughout the lobby area--adding to its uniqueness. And the best part of all--because of Doris's love of animals--the hotel is animal friendly. It was so sweet to see all the guests enjoying the hotel and patio area with their beloved animals by their side. If you are looking for the perfect charming spot to make your trip to Carmel a magical experience you will never forget--choose the Cypress Inn. You will be glad you did!

Room Tip: room 114 on the west side--was our beautiful room!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My mother and I just got back from Carmel, CA, where we had the opportunity to stay at the most wonderful place - Cypress Inn. I'm a huge Doris Day fan, so the Doris regalia (though not overwhelming by any means!) around the hotel was such a thrill. The staff was beyond helpful, the food delicious, and the rooms elegant and beautiful. It's also right in town, and a 30 second walk to everything Carmel has to offer; not to mention a 5 minute walk to the beach. I also can't reiterate enough how friendly and wonderful the staff is - they went above and beyond to make sure we were well taken care of and comfortable.

We were lucky enough to be apart of Doris Day's 90th birthday celebration as well, so let me tell you, they absolutely know how to throw quite the party too!

I only have raving reviews about this place. I want to be back there right now.

ps- super duper pet friendly!!

Room Tip: The suites that walk right out to Terry's restaurant are amazing! It's like walking out to p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Arielle H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We started coming here about seven years ago and stay about three times per year. It's a beautiful property in the middle of town and a close walk to everything. The staff are all very friendly, professional and helpful. Randy at the front desk is impeccable. He always goes well out of his way to make sure that guests are enjoying their stay to the fullest. He's always up on the latest events in town and can recommend the finest places to dine and make the reservation. Over the years, we've stayed in ten different rooms. The rooms are all unique, beautiful, comfortable and well maintained. The hotel restaurant is excellent and there's a very nice bar. This was a great find seven years ago and we can't imagine staying anywhere else when visiting.

Room Tip: We've stayed in rooms 114, 117, 118, 119, 121, 215, 221, 222, 223, and 224. We recommend them al...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank malibubrat
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I always love staying at The Cypress Inn and have for many years. This particular trip I was planning on driving from Marin to Montecito - but got a late start. I was getting very tired and decided to call the hotel to see if any rooms available. It was very last minute and I got Randy on the phone. Well, he not only booked me into a wonderful room, he was so unbelievable with directions. It was pitch dark out and I was having a hard time following signs. He guided me and reassured me - giving me estimated time etc. Then when I arrived, he had gone to my room and turned on lights and made sure it was warm enough. He carried my luggage up for me. He really went out of his way to make certain all was just perfect. And it was! I had a lovely dinner in Terry's Lounge. Food was excellent and so was all the staff. I love the pups that hang out there too! It just feels like coming home when I stay there. I so appreciate the personal touches and how much they care about their guests. Can't wait to return and thanks Mr. Randy for all your help - it made my trip so much nicer and I really appreciate it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephensls
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have been visiting the Cypress Inn for my wife's Birthday since 2004. It has never disappointed and we thoroughly enjoyed our recent, short (3 day/2 night) stay. We stayed in one of our favorite rooms (224) and have been lucky to stay in most all of the rooms in the renovated part of the Inn. A true benefit to the Cypress Inn is staying in the heart of Carmel By-the-Sea. After dining, shopping, visiting art galleries and taking breathtaking strolls on the ocean, you can pop back into your room and cozy up to the fireplace and take a nice nap! Dining is never far as Terry's Lounge is just downstairs (from 224) and open for food/drink and a wonderful extended continental breakfast. In the rooms complimentary Sherry, fruits/nuts and water is provided in glass bottles that you can refill at the bar. A nice surprise was a bottle of chilled champagne and two glasses for the birthday celebration present in our room upon arrival.

The Cypress Inn is a pet-friendly hotel and being pet lovers we always enjoy sharing our visit with all the fur kids around. It is quite a sight to see live music (some nights) in the fireplace room being enjoyed by both human and animal kind . Carmel, in general, is also pet-friendly and water bowls and treats are available throughout at various shops. Pet sitting is available for getting away and pet-friendly restaurants also make the visit to Carmel more entire family-friendly.

The staff at the Cypress Inn are wonderful. They are always helpful and willing to provide assistance with dining reservations, recommendations and sight-seeing trips to completely enhance your visit to this magical place! A great big thank you to Randy, Kate, Khamis and all the staff that made this last visit extremely memorable as well as our many in the past.

We look forward to visiting again soon!

Room Tip: We wholeheartedly recommend the rooms with the interior courtyard. They are close to the restaurant...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kris K
Pebble Beach, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We thought this was a wonderful hotel. If you are a fan of Doris Day and dogs then you will be in heaven here. Carmel may be the most dog friendly town on this planet. They are everywhere and the Cypress Inn is no exception, Doris Day may be one of the owners of the Cypress Inn and she is a very big dog lover so if you bring your four legged friend they will be welcomed. Having said all that about dogs let me say we liked this hotel for its location (right in the heart of Carmel by the Sea), the very friendly staff from the waiters to the front desk. The room we had was small however and, we had a room on the front of the hotel overlooking the street. If you opened your windows it could be a little noisy on occasions when people stopped to talk outside the front door to the hotel. Water pressure was good in the shower but a little weak in the sink (this is California after all and water restrictions etc.). The patio area is a good place to sit, have a drink or eat a meal. You will see many locals and other guests in this area. They have a very comfortable room inside the hotel across front checkin counter which has a fireplace and very comfy seats.

Room Tip: Not sure what their suites may be like or, if they have any. Maybe get a room towards the back of th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean O
Monterey, California
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Carmel's Mediterrean climate pairs perfectly with the Moorish influence of the Cypress Inn. Our corner room on the 2nd floor exceeded our expectations. There were scenic views of Cypress & Pines trees from the bed to the private outdoor patio. We dined at Terry's intimate Restaurant in the hotel with calming views of the garden patio. Jon, our Server offered outstanding service from beginning to end. We started off sharing the tasty beet salad, followed by the exotic Morrocan Chicken, presented with a Moorish clay dome. The effect went very well with the setting of the wall panels & beautiful overhead lamps at the bar. The filet migon was prepared just the way my husband likes it. The wine selection was great too.
Later in the evening, we were magically entertained by a very talented guitarist playing next to the fireplace in the main seating lounge. The Continental breakfast was very generous and lots to choose from...the best scrambled eggs I've ever had at a buffet. Overall it was a very memorable 1 night birthday get-a-way from check-in to check out!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple