“Great breakfast, good rate - but.”

Sandpiper Inn Carmel
Ranked #14 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2008

We stayed at the Sandpiper for three nights in one of the cabins behind the main house. We found the room to be pleasant but very crampted - there wasn't more than 30 square feet of open floor space. The bed was very comfortable. An unshaded skylight got us up much earlier than we would have liked and the glare exposed lots of cobwebs. The shower stall needs new grout - it was black in spots.

During the first night, a garden gate starting banging in the wind at 2.14 AM and kept us awake. We noted that the gate was secured with a small rock later that morning and then a large stone was required to finish the job around noon.

The breakfast was excellent and the morning host very accomodating.

We were lured by a very good rate for Carmel, but you get what you pay for. Next time, we will pay more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Sandpiper Inn for a weekend get away to Carmel. The pros: The property is simple and quaint, the room we stayed in was well appointed and very clean. It wasn't too floral and 'Victorian' like many other B&Bs, so my husband especially appreciated the decor. The innkeepers were very helpful with restaurant and site-seeing suggestions. The breakfast was delicious and generous. The cons: We stayed in one of the back cottages which was nicely secluded from the rest of the inn, however the walls were pretty thin, so we could hear any conversations outside and in the next door cottage. Also, the room we stayed in smelled like mildew (which may be very common for the area on the coast), however it was unexpected and my husband who had mildew allergies had some issues with this. So we didn't feel 100% comfortable and didn't feel like we had much privacy for an intimate weekend together. Additionally, the cottage had a sunlight (window in ceiling) which you could not cover up, so it was not ideal for sleeping in, but probably just fine for early bird risers. Overall it was a very good value for Carmel, which can be pricey and the location near the beach could not be beat. I would visit again and give this place another chance, but next time may choose to stay inside the inn where the walls might be thicker and there may be less mildewy rooms.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2008

My Husband and I went to Sandpiper Inn this past weekend with another couple friends of ours. We wanted to have a quick get away since she is about due any day now. We chose this place because it was reasonably priced compared to the average 400-500 a night at other BB in Carmel and it was close to downtown.

So we arrive and walk in and immediately the smell reminds me of a really old house or my grandma's house. I believe the house is really old so this makes sense. The lady at the table wasn't all that friendly and after we checked in proceeded to go through the procedure of what time the cookies get put away, what time they lock up etc. She sounded like an un-enthusiastic telemarketer. So she brings my friends to their room and we all look at it. It was really pretty and spacious and beautiful view. We then go to our room and it was tiny but the view was gorgeous! (Room# 8) The bathroom looked like a bathroom you find a cruis ship. Small and not well built. It was kind of dingy and had some mold around the cracks. I looked at the shampoo/conditioner and it was dirty and even had hair around the bottle (obviously they reuse it) yuck! floors were a little dirty too...I think they need to renovate soon. Bedding was clean and sheets were clean too.

So we go meet our friends back at their room and they were moved! Apparently the person at the desk showed them the wrong room!!! too bad because their room was not as nice.
The tea and cookies were nice...a little stale but satisfied our hunger.
In the morning when I woke up I pulled the curtains opened and opened the window to listen to the ocean. Aaaah so gorgeous and relaxing.
The breakfast wasn't too bad. We had fresh fruit, granola, veggie quiche & scones. The inn keeper was very friendly and accomodating.

Overall I would stay here again however if I happened to have an extra 500-600 to burn I'd probably choose a nicer hotel or BB. It was cute, quaint and relaxing. Otherwise a room w/ a view for under 200.00 wasn't bad :)

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank vintagemonkey11
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We had a great get-away weekend at Sandpiper Inn. i booked the hotel online thru their website. It was easy, simple and fast. i sawa picture of the room i was booking. It is a quaint place with i think about 14 rooms, each one a little different. The Inn is exacly how it is described on the website, no suprises. Old tme charm, inimate, 2 blocks from the beach. It is not a fancy, Inn buit a nice, comforatable, clean place ot stay. i am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SFGAL78
Reviewed 6 September 2007

Stayed at Sandpiper with the walk in rates of 125/night. The unit # 11, king room with ocean view was spacious, decorated with green, oriental ornaments. The inn was so close to the ocean, we went to sleep with the sound of waves. The inn keeper and breakfast were not as personal as some of the other B&B I have stayed at, but the size of room and the view all made up for it. Of course as the inn is one street in from the ocean, the ocean view is not as grand as one my expect, still very nice. The inn is located quite far from the restaurant area but as we took a walk along the beach, we actually enjoyed the walk but if you are thinking of staying there for a few days and enjoy the city, it may be quite tough to walk the distance everyday. Also, the room was nice but I am not sure if I would pay the full price... again the inn is not as personal and cute as B&B can be.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank gourmetseeker
Reviewed 20 July 2007

Quaint, comfortable, clean, personalized excellent service. Slept like a baby on the comfy bed. Cozy patio areas, delightful staff, continental breakfast different each day. loved the location, 1/2 mile from the beach. WOW! What a find! Look forward to returning. Stayed by myself and felt secure and well taken care of.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank sealevellover
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I spent two nights at this small inn in Carmel. It was pretty much what we expected. I had trouble booking somewhere for around $150. This inn seemed like it would get the job done without any frills and that's pretty much what we got.

At $159/night for Carmel, I thought the price was decent. Our room was fairly spacious and we didn't hear noise from our neighbors. I will agree that the decor was in need of an update, but it wasn't dingy, just older. However, I thought the bathroom was exceptionally clean. I am fairly picky about bathrooms and I thought ours was very well lit and very clean. It was not fancy and certainly small, but it worked and didn't gross me out. The only thing I would complain about was the bed. It was uncomfortable! I like my sleep and our first night I felt like I didn't sleep much. It was as hard as a rock.

The continental breakfast was adequate. The fruit and cereal were very good. The table setup was a little strange (some people have to eat while seated on a couch), but the service was very friendly. Both mornings we had a croissant along with the cold breakfast. It was pretty good, I thought more choices might have been nice.

The distance from downtown Carmel was the main concern that I had about the inn. It was very nice during the day because the view along Scenic Drive is so distracting, but at night it's pretty dark and seems much longer. I think if you were planning to hang out on the beach, this location would be perfect, but walking to town is not super convenient.

On the bright side, Carmel seems to shut down around 6 so parking is easy at that point. The food stays open a little later, but it is definitely a sleepy town which is sort of nice.

The guests here ranged from our age (late 20s) to older (maybe early 60s). For those who have stayed at inns/ B&Bs before, there was nothing anymore awkward about the arrangement of this place than any other.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple