“Staying in the Sandpiper”

and 1 more site!
Sandpiper Inn Carmel
Ranked #13 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2008

Just spent two evenings at the Sandpiper -- and after perusing through many of the reviews again -- some of them hit on some valid points.

The inn is in need of some minor updating -- and upon our arrival -- our daughter-in-law stated that the place "smelled like old people" -- but we figured it was the kelp odor from the bay. :-)

My step-son and his wife stayed in the inn (room # 6) -- and my wife and I stayed in one of the detached rooms (room 'C'). Yes, room 'C' has an unshaded skylight -- but we are sound sleepers -- and early risers -- so, this posed no problem for us.

Room 'C' had a fresh smell and was nice and clean. We heard of no problems with room 6 either.

The rooms have neither television nor telephone -- and the inn is generally very quiet. This shouldn't be an issue with those of us greater than 40 years of age -- but younger visitors may take issue with this.

The breakfast was excellent!! The Sandpiper offers fresh fruit, granola, scones and plain or ham and cheese croissants.

There is wireless -- but it was basically unusable in the outside rooms -- I can only speak of room 'C' -- but can imagine a similar dilemma in the other outside rooms.

This inn is several blocks away from downtown -- but only a block away from Scenic Road -- where you can stroll along the beach and enjoy the fabulous scenery.

We love the west coast -- and will (hopefully) return to Carmel. We would definitely return to the Sandpiper.

Do your homework on Carmel and the Sandpiper before you go and you should not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Sandpiper Inn Carmel

Reviewed 12 July 2008

We stayed for one night in Sandpiper Inn Carmel. The Inn is very nice, is seems that all guest are a big family! In the afternoon you have tea wih cookies and you have also a breakfast in the price. The Inn is a good location for couples and familes not for friends traveling togheter. Our room was really nice and the staff very friendly. The only negative thing is that you should go by car to the downtown of Carmel. At all a very relaxing place!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2008

We stayed at the Sandpiper for three nights in one of the cabins behind the main house. We found the room to be pleasant but very crampted - there wasn't more than 30 square feet of open floor space. The bed was very comfortable. An unshaded skylight got us up much earlier than we would have liked and the glare exposed lots of cobwebs. The shower stall needs new grout - it was black in spots.

During the first night, a garden gate starting banging in the wind at 2.14 AM and kept us awake. We noted that the gate was secured with a small rock later that morning and then a large stone was required to finish the job around noon.

The breakfast was excellent and the morning host very accomodating.

We were lured by a very good rate for Carmel, but you get what you pay for. Next time, we will pay more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Sandpiper Inn for a weekend get away to Carmel. The pros: The property is simple and quaint, the room we stayed in was well appointed and very clean. It wasn't too floral and 'Victorian' like many other B&Bs, so my husband especially appreciated the decor. The innkeepers were very helpful with restaurant and site-seeing suggestions. The breakfast was delicious and generous. The cons: We stayed in one of the back cottages which was nicely secluded from the rest of the inn, however the walls were pretty thin, so we could hear any conversations outside and in the next door cottage. Also, the room we stayed in smelled like mildew (which may be very common for the area on the coast), however it was unexpected and my husband who had mildew allergies had some issues with this. So we didn't feel 100% comfortable and didn't feel like we had much privacy for an intimate weekend together. Additionally, the cottage had a sunlight (window in ceiling) which you could not cover up, so it was not ideal for sleeping in, but probably just fine for early bird risers. Overall it was a very good value for Carmel, which can be pricey and the location near the beach could not be beat. I would visit again and give this place another chance, but next time may choose to stay inside the inn where the walls might be thicker and there may be less mildewy rooms.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2008

My Husband and I went to Sandpiper Inn this past weekend with another couple friends of ours. We wanted to have a quick get away since she is about due any day now. We chose this place because it was reasonably priced compared to the average 400-500 a night at other BB in Carmel and it was close to downtown.

So we arrive and walk in and immediately the smell reminds me of a really old house or my grandma's house. I believe the house is really old so this makes sense. The lady at the table wasn't all that friendly and after we checked in proceeded to go through the procedure of what time the cookies get put away, what time they lock up etc. She sounded like an un-enthusiastic telemarketer. So she brings my friends to their room and we all look at it. It was really pretty and spacious and beautiful view. We then go to our room and it was tiny but the view was gorgeous! (Room# 8) The bathroom looked like a bathroom you find a cruis ship. Small and not well built. It was kind of dingy and had some mold around the cracks. I looked at the shampoo/conditioner and it was dirty and even had hair around the bottle (obviously they reuse it) yuck! floors were a little dirty too...I think they need to renovate soon. Bedding was clean and sheets were clean too.

So we go meet our friends back at their room and they were moved! Apparently the person at the desk showed them the wrong room!!! too bad because their room was not as nice.
The tea and cookies were nice...a little stale but satisfied our hunger.
In the morning when I woke up I pulled the curtains opened and opened the window to listen to the ocean. Aaaah so gorgeous and relaxing.
The breakfast wasn't too bad. We had fresh fruit, granola, veggie quiche & scones. The inn keeper was very friendly and accomodating.

Overall I would stay here again however if I happened to have an extra 500-600 to burn I'd probably choose a nicer hotel or BB. It was cute, quaint and relaxing. Otherwise a room w/ a view for under 200.00 wasn't bad :)

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank vintagemonkey11
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We had a great get-away weekend at Sandpiper Inn. i booked the hotel online thru their website. It was easy, simple and fast. i sawa picture of the room i was booking. It is a quaint place with i think about 14 rooms, each one a little different. The Inn is exacly how it is described on the website, no suprises. Old tme charm, inimate, 2 blocks from the beach. It is not a fancy, Inn buit a nice, comforatable, clean place ot stay. i am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SFGAL78
Reviewed 6 September 2007

Stayed at Sandpiper with the walk in rates of 125/night. The unit # 11, king room with ocean view was spacious, decorated with green, oriental ornaments. The inn was so close to the ocean, we went to sleep with the sound of waves. The inn keeper and breakfast were not as personal as some of the other B&B I have stayed at, but the size of room and the view all made up for it. Of course as the inn is one street in from the ocean, the ocean view is not as grand as one my expect, still very nice. The inn is located quite far from the restaurant area but as we took a walk along the beach, we actually enjoyed the walk but if you are thinking of staying there for a few days and enjoy the city, it may be quite tough to walk the distance everyday. Also, the room was nice but I am not sure if I would pay the full price... again the inn is not as personal and cute as B&B can be.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends