“Charming, Sweet, and Comfortable, with a quiet residential setting.”

and 1 more site!
Sandpiper Inn Carmel
Ranked #13 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Great small inn in a really quiet town setting. Not as close to town as I thought and we were the youngest guests by about 35 years, but fantastic service, comfortable beds (favorite part), and affordable stay, with short drive to town, and 5 minute walk to beach.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sandpiper Inn Carmel

Reviewed 13 July 2009

I enjoyed a two night stay at the Sandpiper Inn. It is a cozy place in a quiet residential neighborhood. They have a great location just a very short walk to the beach. Staff is friendly. Rates seemed comparable to or better than other lodging in the area for the room I booked. Some of their other rooms seemed a bit on the high side although I did not see them and cannot compare with the room I was in. I had let them know I would be arriving after 9:30pm and they were helpful in accomodating my late arrival. Breakfast was fresh, large strawberries, yogurt, granola/cereal, coffee, and tea with croissant one day and quiche the next. I did not realize there was afternoon tea and cookies, so that was a pleasant surprise when returning in the evening. Overall, a great place for a serene, relaxing getaway.

I only had a couple minor issues, nothing that would prevent me from going back. I stayed in Room 15 which is detached along with Room 14 from the main house. Upon entering the room I noticed a musty smell along with a little mildew in the shower. They need to improve the ventilation in this room to minimize the moisture that seems to linger. Opening the windows for a while helped air out the room but then I was worried insects would enter as there were no window screens (not that I saw insects around).
The other minor issue was the skylight was a little dirty with leaves/twigs/etc. A quick sweep or blast with the hose would take care of that.

For those arriving in Carmel for the first time and at night, I had a little trouble finding my way to the Sandpiper Inn as the area is quite dark and I didn't see any street signs. After several minutes of driving around lost, I realized the street names were painted vertically on wooden posts; a little hard to read. I was wishing I had GPS navigation, but was eventually able to find my way there with the map I brought. Parking is along the street or in several spaces on the property.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2009

This was the first time we went to Carmel and stayed at the Sandpiper Inn. It was really a nice little hotel. The room was really nice and cozy. The breakfast was nice and we really felt at home. The only drawback from our stay was the weather in Carmel in May which was really grey and cold.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We were 'sold' a 'sea-view' room for $200; this was very expensive for this type of accommodation; there was hardly any view of the sea and I wonder how the $130 room would have differed! For $200, I'd expect a bottle of water in the room and a more generous breakfast: Cereal restricted to a bowl of Muesli. 'Toast? No, sorry, we don't do toast; would you like a slice of our special quiche? (which, to be fair, looked good - but not what we want for breakfast.) Nice people - but $200 - wow!
OK we've now been told Carmel is expensive - but the following night we had a superb room in Santa Barbara (also not a cheap resort) for $140. No contest!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
alainamusich, Manager at Sandpiper Inn Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2009

We are sorry to see that your stay was less than satisfactory. At the time we were transitioning managers and our prices had not yet been updated properly for the month. Things are going smoothly now and we hope that our pricing is more suitable to your needs.

Reviewed 29 September 2008

This is a lovely little hotel located well for both the beach and restaurants. We arrived after a long drive and Donna on reception was really welcoming and understanding. Parking was good, and the hotel has a good relaxed (and relaxing) feel. The room was a bit tight for space because the bed was huge. We had a great night's sleep though, a really comfortable bed. The bathroom had a good selection of toiletries and a good shower. Breakfast was informal, with fresh warm blueberry scones that were delicious. Overall a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2008

We were in room 11, a great view of the beach and Pepple Hill, kept the window open to here the ocean. Comfy bed, pretty spread and chairs. The staff is freindly, the breakfast was excellent. It is an older place with lots of charm. A bit far from downtown but this was not a problem for us. You will be happy you choose this B and B.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2008

Just spent two evenings at the Sandpiper -- and after perusing through many of the reviews again -- some of them hit on some valid points.

The inn is in need of some minor updating -- and upon our arrival -- our daughter-in-law stated that the place "smelled like old people" -- but we figured it was the kelp odor from the bay. :-)

My step-son and his wife stayed in the inn (room # 6) -- and my wife and I stayed in one of the detached rooms (room 'C'). Yes, room 'C' has an unshaded skylight -- but we are sound sleepers -- and early risers -- so, this posed no problem for us.

Room 'C' had a fresh smell and was nice and clean. We heard of no problems with room 6 either.

The rooms have neither television nor telephone -- and the inn is generally very quiet. This shouldn't be an issue with those of us greater than 40 years of age -- but younger visitors may take issue with this.

The breakfast was excellent!! The Sandpiper offers fresh fruit, granola, scones and plain or ham and cheese croissants.

There is wireless -- but it was basically unusable in the outside rooms -- I can only speak of room 'C' -- but can imagine a similar dilemma in the other outside rooms.

This inn is several blocks away from downtown -- but only a block away from Scenic Road -- where you can stroll along the beach and enjoy the fabulous scenery.

We love the west coast -- and will (hopefully) return to Carmel. We would definitely return to the Sandpiper.

Do your homework on Carmel and the Sandpiper before you go and you should not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)