“not exciting, but acceptable”

Sandpiper Inn Carmel
Ranked #14 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I spent two nights at this small inn in Carmel. It was pretty much what we expected. I had trouble booking somewhere for around $150. This inn seemed like it would get the job done without any frills and that's pretty much what we got.

At $159/night for Carmel, I thought the price was decent. Our room was fairly spacious and we didn't hear noise from our neighbors. I will agree that the decor was in need of an update, but it wasn't dingy, just older. However, I thought the bathroom was exceptionally clean. I am fairly picky about bathrooms and I thought ours was very well lit and very clean. It was not fancy and certainly small, but it worked and didn't gross me out. The only thing I would complain about was the bed. It was uncomfortable! I like my sleep and our first night I felt like I didn't sleep much. It was as hard as a rock.

The continental breakfast was adequate. The fruit and cereal were very good. The table setup was a little strange (some people have to eat while seated on a couch), but the service was very friendly. Both mornings we had a croissant along with the cold breakfast. It was pretty good, I thought more choices might have been nice.

The distance from downtown Carmel was the main concern that I had about the inn. It was very nice during the day because the view along Scenic Drive is so distracting, but at night it's pretty dark and seems much longer. I think if you were planning to hang out on the beach, this location would be perfect, but walking to town is not super convenient.

On the bright side, Carmel seems to shut down around 6 so parking is easy at that point. The food stays open a little later, but it is definitely a sleepy town which is sort of nice.

The guests here ranged from our age (late 20s) to older (maybe early 60s). For those who have stayed at inns/ B&Bs before, there was nothing anymore awkward about the arrangement of this place than any other.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank unlikeanyone

Reviewed 14 May 2007

Stayed 5 nights at the Sandpiper. We stayed in room 11 that had a view of the ocean, which is the equivalent of a few blocks away. The room was attractive and large with King bed, OK bathroom and 2 comfortable chairs. Didn't miss the phone and TV - slept like logs in the comfortable bed.

Very large and lovely living room/dining room with fireplace where you have breakfast and afternoon tea. We brought wine which we kept in the fridge along with our snacks.

As mentioned in earlier reviews, the inn is very old and does smell old - but overall was a good value. It is far from town - too far too walk unless you're young and athletic - it's uphill all the way. Parking in town requires a little patience, especially on Saturday/Sunday at peak times. We'd probably stay in town next time - but if walking on the beach is your "thing", this is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank DonegalGirlStCharles
Reviewed 30 October 2006

I feel a little bad to write a somewhat negative review of this place, but feel it is fair to let others know my opinion.

First of all, I would NOT reccomend visiting Carmel if you like to explore and try different things. Please read last paragraph for reasons.

The Sandpiper Inn smelled funky (like an old person's house) when we first walked in. It felt very strange - it did feel like being in someone's house - but also like you and 20 other strangers were in someone's house.
We stayed in one of the unattached cabin rooms. Our room was not comfortable at all. It felt dirty and the bedspread looked very old and used. The carpet looked dirty and I didn't even take a shower in the bathroom because I just didn't feel like I would get clean in it. The towels were dingy and this was another reason I didn't take a shower. The room was in great need of updating - everything felt old and unclean. The bed was uncomfortable and I was glad that we only stayed one night. We were out of there first thing in the morning.
The rooms in the main part seemed like you were in a normal house - like next door should be your sister, but its some stranger. The rooms were right off the dining area. Kind of creepy to me - but I'm sure some people would like this fact.

The downtown area is very small and has alot of stores and shops that are geared towards more mature shoppers (to say it nicely). The beach is really nice though and the houses are all very unique. If you like looking at houses, I could see walking around the town just looking. We were quite bored in Carmel (in our 20's). We did the 17mile drive in Monterey which was AWESOME!! We got to Carmel, walked down the street of downtown, ate a late lunch, then were bored. So we decided to drive the 4hour drive down the coast of California to Hearst Castle. The coastal drive was so amazing and beautiful. make sure to book your tickets for castle tours ahead of time - we BARELY got on a tour and only because someone didn't show.

• Stayed: September 2006
6  Thank TravelingPantalones
Reviewed 9 September 2006

very nice and cosy place, feeling like living in a home rather than in a hotel, friendly service and tasty breakfast

• Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank IoooooI
Reviewed 3 July 2006

Let's get the gripes out of the way first: Sandpiper Inn in Carmel is too expensive. US$ 149 or 159 is too much when the Inn is nearly 30 minutes walk from the centre of Carmel. Midtown San Francisco is cheaper. Savage cancellation policy: 7 day (even 14 day) cancellation is way out of line with everyone else and the US$15 "processing fee" on cancellations is a rip off. Read the Cancellation Policy before you book.
Guests required to notify Inn 24 hours prior to arrival. Right!
No phone in the room (public call box in the hallway). No radio.
BUT! it's a very pretty inn, with very pleasant, friendly and helpful staff and the rooms are really nice - about a million pillows adorn the bed!
Healthy breakfasts (for once!) and no plastic cutlery or delph.
Honest advertising - no non-existent views advertised, just accurate descriptions. You can view every single room on their website. It's an excellent website for booking, clearly indicating which rooms are available and allowing you to select the exact room you would like.
And being in beautiful Carmel, 2 minutes from the beach, what more could you ask!
Very clean, pleasant dining inside or outside, quaint and charming. The Sandpiper Inn is the quintessential inn.
Free roadside parking - but park on the correct side of the road or the county sherrif gives you a ticket (no warning) but can't blame Sandpiper for that!
And no TV. That's a bonus.

7  Thank PaulTheMajor
Reviewed 23 June 2006

My husband and I were there for one night and had a delightful time. It was just close enough to the beach to be perfect and away from the downtown area so it was quiet... not that the downtown area extremely loud. Breakfast was delish and I couldn't get enough of the coffee. It was nice they had books and games available, even though we didn't have time to read or play. They also had an extensive collection of the menus of the restaurants in the area which was helpful when planning dinner. I would love to stay there again. But, I would make sure you have a car to get into town because the walk seemed like it was far but I much prefer walking on the beach anyway...)

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank MindyBMind
Reviewed 31 May 2006

NIce location. We had an ocean view, and the hotel is close (but not walking distance) to downtown. Rooms could use some remodeling. Service was good, breakfast nice.

• Stayed: April 2006