“Fantastic Place to stay”
Review of Mission Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mission Ranch
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 22 June 2014

As a Travel Agent I had organised a trip to California , starting off in San fransisco and eventually ending up in San Diego and staying at various places on the way , I knew that Clint Eastwood was Mayor for Carmel a few years ago and that he owned a restaurant in Carmel so thought it would be nice to actually go and eat at the Restaurant , I tried to google the Restaurant (Hogs Breath ) to find that actually Clint had sold the Hogs Breath and and bought the Mission ranch as they were planning to build Condos in its place.

I found the website for the Mission Ranch and it was absolutely lovely and decided that we would stay there the only problem was trying to decide which room type we would like to stay in , we eventually opted for the Bunker Cottage which consisted of a little cottage with a wrap around verandah and two rocking chairs on it , two bedrooms and one bathroom and a lounge with spectacular views of Carmel Beach in the distance and the fields with all of the sheep In.

When we arrived it was quite cold and very foggy and their was hardly anyone around and we actually felt quite cold , we checked in and were advised that bunker cottage had its own parking space right outside , we parked the car and went in and it was absolutely lovely , it was one of the oldest buildings on the ranch dating to 1852 , the only downside was that the bar was not open to be able to get a coffee or a drink so we ended up getting back in the car and going in to down town Carmel for something to drink.

When we returned to Mission Ranch we popped to the bar and by this time it was buzzing , we sat there and had a glass of prosseco and watched a gentleman playing the piano which was very good , we booked a table for our meal for 1900 and when we came back the restaurant after having a shower the place was absolutely packed , although it felt cold they had heaters dotted around outside on the patio and we elected to sit outside as we all felt nice and warm .

We all ordered Steaks and they were so tasty , we didn't have room for a sweet but they looked lovely , it was just so peaceful to sit outside with no noise of traffic , we had the impression that it was the in place to eat in Carmel and all we were waiting for is Mr Eastwood to walk in and start playing the piano but unfortunately this time it wasn't meant to be.

It was booked with complimentary coffee and pastries in the Tennis Club House and when we got there it was far more than that , there was orange juice , coffee , Tea, Danish pastries , toast , muffins , fruits yogurt so it was pleasant surprise to set us up before we continued our travels.

I can recommend staying at the Mission Ranch , we only stayed for one night as we were passing through , and there doesn't really appear to be a lot to unless you like playing Tennis but we are so pleased we stayed there.

Thank you mr Eastwood for giving us the Mission Ranch Experience

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sheena1962

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've stayed at the Mssion Ranch in the Farmhouse, and eat at the restaurant at least four times per month when I'm in Carmel for the July and August events. There's nothing like the Mission Ranch. As an inn, it's charming and warm with wonderful rooms. That it's owned by Clint Eastwood is a big plus! The restaurant is always a great place to go for dinner - in any weather. It overlooks the Bird Sanctuary and Carmel River Beach - a view that can't be beat. The food is good - the menu is relatively heavy with large portions - but you can have an appetizer and salad and enjoy it. Best bar and piano bar in town! The back room of the restaurant is perfect for small dinner parties, and eating on the patio is everyone's favorite - so expect a wait. But it's all worth it - the Mission Ranch is a special place in a town of special places!

Room Tip: A room in the front of the farmhouse with the view, or in the cottages are first choice. Also, the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Mission Ranch on Memorial Day weekend for my sister-in-laws wedding and it was beautiful. We had a cute main barn room and the views were fantastic from everywhere. We even saw Clint Eastwood and he took a picture with my now brother-in-law who is a Marine. The complimentary breakfast by the tennis courts was just right to start the day. The grounds were well maintained and the staff was great! The wedding was beautiful and everyone complimented my sister-in-law on the venue and food! I would definitely go back and recommend this place to everyone

Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank mlinden818
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had one of the meadow view rooms. Very pleasant. I would describe the room as rustic yet clean and well maintained. Parking is wonderful! Other places we've stayed at in Carmel have lacked parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Danny S
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were so excited about staying at the Mission Ranch that I thought we might be disappointed by the reality. Not so -- it more than lived up to our expectations and my only issue is that I wish we could have stayed longer. We stayed in the upstairs room at the Meadow View rooms -- the room was beautiful with a comfortable king size bed, a seating area and best of all, a huge balcony with a view of the meadow and the sheep to the left and a view of the ocean to the right and mountains in between - wow! When we had arrived around 4 p.m. we had asked about having dinner at the Mission Ranch restaurant and we were put on the preferred waiting list for 7 p.m. At exactly 7, we received a call to say that a table was waiting for us and we proceeded to be seated in a great corner table that allowed us to check out the view and to do some great people-watching. What a lively place - and so cozy. All of us enjoyed our meals and the accompanying wine -- was an excellent start to our holiday. On the two mornings we were at the Ranch, we ambled by the meadow to visit with the sheep on our way to the Tennis Courts for breakfast. While nothing fancy, the food was more than adequate and it was a nice way to start our day, sitting in the sunshine out by the courts - the coffee was fabulous and the fruit was very, very fresh and tasty. Only disappointment? We didn't see Clint!!! Would go back tomorrow if I had a chance. Lovely.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in the Meadow View suites are fantastic!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brontesassy
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Right by the Mission (not to be missed!) It is paradise carved out of a residential community.
It is old but well preserved (Thank YOU, Clint!) Our accommodations were a standard double queen in the main barn. The room was fun a touch of Basque charm farm...again not new but everything was neat, clean and perfect! I would stay again but make plans earlier and get an upgrade. Speaking of which, those at the front desk (the only way to make reservations there) were exceptional! ( sweet, funny, kind and accommodating) and did get us in because of a cancellation and we were promised an upgrade IF it came available.
Let's talk view. Amazing!! You are in a pastoral setting with a flock of funny sheep. Beyond them is the view that the world comes to visit! Now as cute and fun as the sheep and view are, let's talk food....! We were in Carmel for our 20th and we ate at 3 of the most famous places...
Mission Ranch, Highland's Inn Pacific's Edge and Casanova. Mission Ranch was THE best of the bunch! We had a drink at the Piano bar and dinner on Sat. then a jazz brunch on Sunday. We asked for the back room but the front area is closer to the music and most of the patrons loved being outside. We tho, couldn't have been happier!
Pacific's Edge sooo needs to take pointers from these guys. The food at Mission Ranch was without compare ( My husband had the prime rib and I had the short ribs but had the salmon with brunch the next day...
Next trip I will go back to Mission Ranch not only to sleep but every meal they'll let me have!
Casual, comfortable and a-mazing! Oh yea...and a world class view too!!
Our date at Mission Ranch was May 17th and 18th 2014.
Mic

Room Tip: Call early...as there are limited rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MicBagby
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I was disappointed by this spot. I guess if there were no restaurant on the site I'd be happier. We stayed in the farm house which is right by the restaurant. The smells were annoying and the noise also. No parking set aside for hotel guests either so when we returned for the night, we spent time circling and waiting until someone left. It's a pretty view but I'd recommend coming just for dinner, not overnight.

• Stayed: May 2014