Mission Ranch
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$290
US$301
US$221
US$158
Official Site
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$154
Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$180
ComfortInn
US$249
Coachman's Inn, A Four Sisters Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$507
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
US$620
US$530
Cancelon
US$611
  • Pool
All reviewspiano barclint eastwoodtennis clubsheep grazingmeadowview triplexmeadow viewrocking chairsfarm houseprime ribhoneymoon cottagecarmel river beachpoint lobosgrounds are beautifulthree nightsthe pacific oceangas fireplacepastries
Reviewed 23 January 2005

I have visited this venue over a dozen times, with 4 nights stay on each occasion. I have stayed in all classes of room, and have stayed there long enough to judge. "Rustic" means that the rooms are guaranteed to have insect life. I have not visited once where there were not numerous insects of one type or another in the room. I have even seen cochroaches in their restaurant, on many occasions. I would be the "first in line" when breakfast would start, and many times the food was "cold and greasy". As someone who is retired from the hospitality industry, for a major hotel chain, I would have fired a staff that allowed his site to be as poor of quality as it is. As someone who was also a former AAA "reviewer" who would investigate properties for "Diamond" ratings, this location barely deserves 2 diamonds, and that is only due to the close proximity of a restaurant. It barely meets the 2 star rating of most rating services. Even the less strict Mobil Travel Guide ratings, it does not deserve 2 stars using their system. The view is just beautiful. The residential neighborhood that the venue is located is "quaint". I have had complaints that were ignored both by staff and management. Their drop in rates, seems to be in line with the drop in service. The first year they were opened, I passed no judgement, since this was a "new location" (even AAA and Mobil do not rate an establishment in its first year, due to "growing pains"). But for the price you pay, the facilities, and the restaurant are very much below par. Many times, I have come into my room to find the bathroom absolutely filthy (toilet paper pieces on the floor, hair in the sink and bath area, shower stalls with black scum all over, and things that are just too disgusting to mention). I have been in rooms, and have found used "birth control" on the floor. This is supposedly after housekeeping has done their job. On about half the occasions I stayed there, I had to clean my room as much as I could, as soon as I checked in. I called for housekeeping, and called the front desk many times, with no response.
I have stayed so many times because the location is convenient to what I was doing in the Carmel area. I did not want to pre-judge them by just looking at a few visits, before I made a full judgement. But my money would have been better spent at one of the locations in Monterey, and commuting back to Carmel. As a fan of Mr. Eastwood, I wanted to give him even a bigger "benefit of the doubt", but even a fan can give only so many "mulligans" for a semi-premium priced property. I have had to call the sherrif's department a few times due to noise problems with other customers in other rooms well after 10pm and well before 6am. The front desk does not respond to complaints, and it was only after they refused to help, did I pick up the phone and call the Sheriff. I have spent a total of over a month and a half at this venue (staying a minimum of 4 nights, on at least a dozen separate occasions from when they first opened, to just a few weeks ago. Never again. Mr. Eastwood is going to have to find someone else to spend their money with him. I spent in both rooms and meals there, a minimum of $2000 per stay, and it could have been better spent anywhere else in the Monterey Peninsula.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled on business
27  Thank Rev Dr John Ben... T
Reviewed 31 December 2004

When we first arrived I was a little disappointed that the ranch was located in a residential neighborhood. Based on pictures from the web site I was expecting a little more seclusion. The saving grace was that the ranch was on the edge of the neighborhood and it had awesome views. I was also let down by the rather plain, not quaint, accommodations. We stayed in the barn house which was rather no-frills. Having a restaurant and piano bar on site was a nice plus, however I feel that we overpaid and the next time we will probably try Marina Dunes.

• Stayed: December 2004
6  Thank andy_franklin
Reviewed 14 November 2004

We stayed for 3 nights in November, 2004. We had a meadow view room and would recommend that for the privacy, space and incredible view-sheep grazing and an ocean view. The room is very large and the bathroom is immense with a whirlpool and refrigerator. There is a gas fireplace and a beautiful porch with rockers. The bedding is very comfortable as are the other chairs. They also provide plush robes. The grounds are very well kept and beautifully planted. The continental breakfast had good fresh fruit and an assortment of fresh baked goods. We also ate dinner here one night and had an excellent dinner. Staff are friendly and respect your privacy.

This is a very good location for exploring the entire peninsula--it is an easy drive to Monterey, Pacific Grove and to Big Sur. The village of Carmel is less than one mile from the ranch. Parking is very easy--right outside your door but without the feel of a motel--this is a spacious ranch.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2004
11  Thank dbrown46
A TripAdvisor Member
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 3 September 2004

The Mission Ranch is a wonderful, romantic escape if you are looking for picturesque surroundings in a quaint and peaceful location. The grounds are lovely; meticulous with flowers in bloom everywhere. The meadow, with grazing sheep and the distant Pacific shore, provide a breathtaking view and the various cottages and buildings are reminiscent of bygone days that are difficult to recreate in our fast-paced, "cookie-cutter" world. Our evenings at the restaurant and piano bar were fabulous. We found the people to be friendly, the service excellent, and the music/entertainment first-rate. And how nice it was to stroll hand in hand around the property and back to our lovely room! I wouldn't change a moment of my stay at the Mission Ranch and, while I will always remember my time there, I hope that I am able to return for many more romantic visits.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
San Rafael,CA
Reviewed 21 August 2004

We have stayed here twice and look forward to the next time. We've stayed in one of the townhouses (before having children) facing the meadow as well as one of the stable rooms (which was very spacious for us and our 2 children). Views of grazing sheep and the ocean renewed our sanity and tranquility. We slept like rocks in the most amazing bed! It was so comfortable that we asked the staff for details so that we could buy for ourselves. The fireplace in the townhouse was so cozy. With the flip of a light switch, we had a gorgeous fire. What more could one ask for? The soap, shampoo, etc. were spa quality. Staff was friendly. Food in the restaurant was a good experience and we loved feeling like locals while there. It is a popular spot for locals and the people singing around the bar made for a festive evening. The landscaping on the property is just gorgeous and we posed for a picture by the pickup truck that Mr.Eastwood drove in the movie "Bridges of Madison County". The Mission Ranch feels like a laid back place with just enough ammenities to make one comfortable and if you are looking for a relaxing retreat, this is the spot.

• Stayed: February 2005