“Wonderful Spot With Unfortunate Name”
Review of Tickle Pink Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Tickle Pink Inn
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Excelsior, Minnesota
“Wonderful Spot With Unfortunate Name”
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Spent 3 nights with another couple.Service good and impeccably clean. Best rooms are one-bedroom suites. Large, beautifully and comfortably furnished with gorgeous views and huge balconies.. Regular and fireplace rooms quite small but also comfortabely furnished with lovely views and smaller balconies. Bathrooms very good. Shower in bathtub. Single sink but one bedroom suites have more counterspace. Large closets. Decent free parking. Breakfast mediocre. Same every day: coffee/tea, juice (not fresh-squeezed), yogurt, granola, croissants, toast and a coffee cake. One hot dish: cheddar cheese frittata. Also, warm ham. No eggs, not even hard-boiled. Real breakfast served next-door at the Hyatt Highlands Inn for extra money. Wine and cheese daily at 5 PM. Local wines featured.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Oakland
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Based on the totality of the Trip Advisor reviews (89% favorability), the well-crafted website, and the high room rates, my girlfriend and I were frankly expecting more of a "Four Seasons" type experience. Did we stay at the wrong Tickle Pink? Yes, the view was great - but aside from that (which can be obtained in plenty other spots in Carmel), the overall experience was disappointing during our recent stay over Memorial Day weekend.

Specific issues:
1. The inn is essentially a somewhat glorified motel.
2. The room/bathroom was clean, but nothing spectacular.
3. The breakfast was highlighted by a small square of eggs florentine and a plethora of granola.
4. When we asked if we could get a few bottles of water, the lady at the front desk responded by saying that the bottles were not available until our room was cleaned. (You mean for $450/night, we couldn't get even one bottle of water handed to us?)
5. We checked out the hot tub - which was turned off and covered with a tarp. When we mentioned this to the front desk, the lady responded by saying that we could turn it on ourselves and that we could throw the tarp over the fence. (You mean for $450/night, we couldn't have a worker perform these tasks?)
6. The walls are very thin. During the second night, our upstairs neighbors were blasting their stereo - followed by intermittent squeaking noises (eh hem). This was followed by a very loud pounding on a door (presumably that of our upstairs neighbor) - which then resulted in the noises subsiding. The following morning, there was some type of construction work taking place - which was a further annoyance.

So there you have it. My girlfriend and I have a new expression: when we have vastly overpaid based on the quality of the experience, we say that we have been "tickled pink."

Again, if we stayed at the wrong Tickle Pink Inn, someone please let us know!

10 Thank GoCardinal_10
sydney
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Hubby and I travelled from Sydney, Australia to do a road trip around California and oh how we wished we could've stayed longer at the Tickle Pink. As you climb the driveway with the ocean below you, you just know you've arrived to somewhere special.
Based on tips from fellow guests on here we booked Suite 16!!! And I in turn will highly recommend it to you. Reason being, it's on the top floor and has a huge balcony, you feel on top of the world overlooking the ocean and cliffs before you.
They just know how to make you feel special, the complimentary bottle of champagne after you arrive, the logs for the fireplace ready to go, but without a doubt DO NOT miss the wine and cheese at dusk. We had high hopes of dinner in Carmel, but we decided to stay in crank up the fire and have a little antipasto delivered. You want romance?? It's here by the bucketload. I'll never forget writing my entry in the diary (they leave it for you to record your stay) whilst reading all the other previous guest entries, whilst talking to the big Albatross sitting on our balcony and my hubby beside me asleep on the deck chair.
The room is spotlessly clean, the furniture fitting and plush, the bed is seriously the most heavenly bed I've ever been in. And I stood in that shower for way too long...blissful.
This place has magic, put it on your bucket list today!!!

3 Thank foxyboo
Altadena, California
Reviewed 10 June 2010

My husband and I decided to get away for a weekend and decided to stay near the coast. We had heard about Tickle Pink Inn during one of our trips to the Pebble Beach Food & Wine Festival, and were very pleased with our experience there. The price was a little more than you would pay for a room down near Ocean Avenue, but there was a far superior view, more privacy and added amenities. The bedding was an absolute dream! It was like falling into a cloud—I am going to try and find out where they get all of their bedding because I want to sleep in that luxury every night! We stayed in room 23, which had a large bedroom and a separate living suite, both with floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the beautiful ocean view. The location was a nice bonus, since we were close to the terrace lounge and the deck but had our own private entrance. One of the best things about this hotel is that you have absolute privacy—without having to sacrifice luxury. All day we kept our doors slightly open so that all we could hear was the sound of the ocean--just pure waves on the rocks. The staff was also excellent; the first morning we had slept in (due to the amazing bedding) and missed the breakfast by 20 minutes, but one of the staff saw us walk into the lounge and said that if we wouldn’t mind waiting, she would bake us some croissants and strudel and bring it out to the deck. Very accommodating! The croissants and strudel were fabulous, by the way. We were shocked to read the previous reviewer’s abundant complaints about the “smoke” at the hotel. On the contrary, we never saw any smoke, and certainly never had any blow into or permeate our room. In fact, we thought the fireplaces in the rooms were a nice touch—how often do you get to have a room with a real fireplace anymore? I found that they lent the hotel a nostalgic charm and were not bothersome at all. We had a wonderful experience at the Inn, and already booked again for early 2011 when the rates are even better.

2 Thank russellandmaye
Austin, TX
Reviewed 9 June 2010

My wife and I spent one night at Tickle Pink on our 10-year anniversary after honeymooning in the area and although our trip is over, we can't wait to go back. At $350/night, we got an incredible bargain. The room was worth $150-200 anywhere else but what makes this hotel so special are the MILLION $$$ views with the ocean lulling us to sleep. Unlike anything I've ever seen up close, and I've traveled quite a bit... Great staff, plush beds, plasma/LCD TVs, a super wine hour and a tasty breakfast. Oh yeah - and the views!!!! Can't wait to go back....

1 Thank rossbo1
san francisco
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I am very surprised there are so many favorable Trip-A reviews for this property. We recently spent 3 nights at Tickle Pink and were very disapointed.

For the record, we paid $494.00 a night for a very standard, stuffy (no fans), smelly, fireplace room and $583 a night for the suite. (incl tax).

Booked two rooms and moved from one to the other as neither of these rooms were available for our entire stay. Side note: we have no complaint w/regards to moving rooms and it certainly was not a problem for us to so, staff took care of that quite well!

Suite was very large w/sweeping ocean views BUT it was impossible to enjoy the views from the deck due to the constant smell of smoke blowing directly into your face/room. If one wanted to get a little sun or read a bit on the deck it was misery. Smoke blows into your face or room from many different directions including the Highlands Inn which, is located just below. But Highlands Inn is not the only culprit that should be held accountable for this terrible air pollution. Tickle allows their guests to burn those awful smelly/waxy logs all day long too! This is a burn- baby- burn neighborhood like I have never seen! And to be sure there is enough smoke in the air every deck has an ash-tray just in case one needs to light up!

Bottom line there was just no escaping the wretched smell of burning smoke. The smell hung heavy in the air, to the curtains in the room and made for a most unpleasant stay.

Another mention, Tickle is located just above Highlands Drive which is a busy/noisy road. Although traffic quiets a bit at night it remains noisy until well after sunset.

One quick word on the breakfast options: They need help!
They should do away w/sugar sweeten yogurt and offer plain greek yogurt instead. Throw out the instant oatmeal and cook some whole oats, it's just water and oats!
Get rid of that bowl of tired apples & over ripe bananas and offer some fresh berries.
Eliminate the cheese thingies you call quiche and just bring in some fresh/real croissants.

All and all a very disapointing stay at the Tickle me smoke inn.
Next time I will try another place or go back to Ventana Inn in Big Sur which BTW was about the same price for oh so much more!

The Pro's
Excellent Staff

1 Thank stunner
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Went with Mom on this trip, but would definitely want to return here with my husband. We LOVED our view. It was a cove view since it's less expensive, but the ocean is there and actually the cove shows the famous coastline, so I might want this room again.

We didn't want to leave the first night, so you can order in from the Highlands Inn next door. We weren't expecting that and it was a nice treat. The next night we ate at Highlands Inn and I learned my lesson that the view seating is first come, first serve, so we were there early at about 5:30 pm. It's in walking distance, right next door, so no worry about cocktails and wine with dinner.

We visit the area often, so if it's your first visit, you may want to stay closer to town because you will need to drive everywhere and it's a twisty two lane road. Don't take a chance on drinking and driving. I wanted to stay in a place this visit with a view of the water, so for that reason, it is one of the best choices.

Breakfast and afternoon wine is included; it's not fancy, but it's OK. I usually would prefer to stay in Carmel or PG, but for a relaxing trip with the best views, this place is a good choice and will return with my husband.

• Stayed March 2010