“Ridiculous”
Review of Tickle Pink Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Tickle Pink Inn
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
San Jose, California
“Ridiculous”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

All I want to know is how much the Panoramic Room with the jacuzzi costs. I emailed asking for a price, but all they told me was that it was a holiday and that I would need to book 3 nights.....Okay, fine. I emailed them again asking about the next weekend, and they tell me that if I want to book a Saturday night I would have to book 2 nights....

REALLY??! All I want to know is how much one night would cost! That's it! I am just trying to celebrate a 10 year anniversary. And furthermore, I find it disconcerting that they force you to book more than one night at their hotel. Judging by the prices stated by the people on Trip Advisor, it's super expensive! There are so many other hotels in the area with a nice view that is CHEAPER that will let you book only one night.

Sorry, Tickle Pink. I would've given you a better rating if you at least gave me the chance. (I'm trying to be nonsubjective with the individual hotel ratings, so I based those ratings on my research.)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gdf84
Kurtoff, Manager at Tickle Pink Inn, responded to this review, 7 August 2010
We apologize for not appropriately responding to this reviewer’s email requests. We have reached out to the reviewer with a personal apology and hope that we can somehow make up for the inconvenience that this has caused.

As is typical in the area, and for our type of lodging, we require a two night minimum stay on weekends (and three for holidays and special events). While it is difficult for us at this time of year to find and/or offer a one night stay, we are occasionally able to accommodate this request when a specific date is provided.

And so, along with our apology, we ask that this guest contact our Manager and provide us with another opportunity to stay at our special place for their special Anniversary.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Singapore
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Needed to stop over for one night in Carmel while driving from SF to LA, and we picked the Tickle Pick Inn based on the recommendations on this site. We were not disappointed. Room was very nice with a spectacular view, the staff is really attentive, the breakfast was good. Had we known, we would have extended our stay by one night, but we were expected in LA. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We stayed at the Tickle Pick Inn in March 2010 while on Spring Break. We chose the Tickle Pink after reading the reviews and also because they had a cottage that would accommodate our family of four with a bit more space. The cottage was fantastic! We had plenty of room and a fireplace that we used every night as the temps dropped. The views were amazing and we awoke every morning to the sounds of crashing waves. We liked the seclusion of the cottage and also the large private patio where we played cards, read, and caught some rays. The property was well maintained and the staff was great. Breakfast was good and the wine and cheese in the evening was an added touch. I would strongly recommend the Tickle Pick Inn and certainly the cottage if you are traveling with kids as it gives everyone some privacy and room to spread out. By the way, when we arrived they had champagne (sparkling wine for the kids) on ice and some chocolates. We thought that was a very nice touch and very welcoming.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank HawkMD
Excelsior, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Spent 3 nights with another couple.Service good and impeccably clean. Best rooms are one-bedroom suites. Large, beautifully and comfortably furnished with gorgeous views and huge balconies.. Regular and fireplace rooms quite small but also comfortabely furnished with lovely views and smaller balconies. Bathrooms very good. Shower in bathtub. Single sink but one bedroom suites have more counterspace. Large closets. Decent free parking. Breakfast mediocre. Same every day: coffee/tea, juice (not fresh-squeezed), yogurt, granola, croissants, toast and a coffee cake. One hot dish: cheddar cheese frittata. Also, warm ham. No eggs, not even hard-boiled. Real breakfast served next-door at the Hyatt Highlands Inn for extra money. Wine and cheese daily at 5 PM. Local wines featured.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Oakland
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Based on the totality of the Trip Advisor reviews (89% favorability), the well-crafted website, and the high room rates, my girlfriend and I were frankly expecting more of a "Four Seasons" type experience. Did we stay at the wrong Tickle Pink? Yes, the view was great - but aside from that (which can be obtained in plenty other spots in Carmel), the overall experience was disappointing during our recent stay over Memorial Day weekend.

Specific issues:
1. The inn is essentially a somewhat glorified motel.
2. The room/bathroom was clean, but nothing spectacular.
3. The breakfast was highlighted by a small square of eggs florentine and a plethora of granola.
4. When we asked if we could get a few bottles of water, the lady at the front desk responded by saying that the bottles were not available until our room was cleaned. (You mean for $450/night, we couldn't get even one bottle of water handed to us?)
5. We checked out the hot tub - which was turned off and covered with a tarp. When we mentioned this to the front desk, the lady responded by saying that we could turn it on ourselves and that we could throw the tarp over the fence. (You mean for $450/night, we couldn't have a worker perform these tasks?)
6. The walls are very thin. During the second night, our upstairs neighbors were blasting their stereo - followed by intermittent squeaking noises (eh hem). This was followed by a very loud pounding on a door (presumably that of our upstairs neighbor) - which then resulted in the noises subsiding. The following morning, there was some type of construction work taking place - which was a further annoyance.

So there you have it. My girlfriend and I have a new expression: when we have vastly overpaid based on the quality of the experience, we say that we have been "tickled pink."

Again, if we stayed at the wrong Tickle Pink Inn, someone please let us know!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank GoCardinal_10
sydney
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Hubby and I travelled from Sydney, Australia to do a road trip around California and oh how we wished we could've stayed longer at the Tickle Pink. As you climb the driveway with the ocean below you, you just know you've arrived to somewhere special.
Based on tips from fellow guests on here we booked Suite 16!!! And I in turn will highly recommend it to you. Reason being, it's on the top floor and has a huge balcony, you feel on top of the world overlooking the ocean and cliffs before you.
They just know how to make you feel special, the complimentary bottle of champagne after you arrive, the logs for the fireplace ready to go, but without a doubt DO NOT miss the wine and cheese at dusk. We had high hopes of dinner in Carmel, but we decided to stay in crank up the fire and have a little antipasto delivered. You want romance?? It's here by the bucketload. I'll never forget writing my entry in the diary (they leave it for you to record your stay) whilst reading all the other previous guest entries, whilst talking to the big Albatross sitting on our balcony and my hubby beside me asleep on the deck chair.
The room is spotlessly clean, the furniture fitting and plush, the bed is seriously the most heavenly bed I've ever been in. And I stood in that shower for way too long...blissful.
This place has magic, put it on your bucket list today!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank foxyboo
Altadena, California
Reviewed 10 June 2010

My husband and I decided to get away for a weekend and decided to stay near the coast. We had heard about Tickle Pink Inn during one of our trips to the Pebble Beach Food & Wine Festival, and were very pleased with our experience there. The price was a little more than you would pay for a room down near Ocean Avenue, but there was a far superior view, more privacy and added amenities. The bedding was an absolute dream! It was like falling into a cloud—I am going to try and find out where they get all of their bedding because I want to sleep in that luxury every night! We stayed in room 23, which had a large bedroom and a separate living suite, both with floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the beautiful ocean view. The location was a nice bonus, since we were close to the terrace lounge and the deck but had our own private entrance. One of the best things about this hotel is that you have absolute privacy—without having to sacrifice luxury. All day we kept our doors slightly open so that all we could hear was the sound of the ocean--just pure waves on the rocks. The staff was also excellent; the first morning we had slept in (due to the amazing bedding) and missed the breakfast by 20 minutes, but one of the staff saw us walk into the lounge and said that if we wouldn’t mind waiting, she would bake us some croissants and strudel and bring it out to the deck. Very accommodating! The croissants and strudel were fabulous, by the way. We were shocked to read the previous reviewer’s abundant complaints about the “smoke” at the hotel. On the contrary, we never saw any smoke, and certainly never had any blow into or permeate our room. In fact, we thought the fireplaces in the rooms were a nice touch—how often do you get to have a room with a real fireplace anymore? I found that they lent the hotel a nostalgic charm and were not bothersome at all. We had a wonderful experience at the Inn, and already booked again for early 2011 when the rates are even better.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple