“Pine Inn”

Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Santa Barbara, California
“Pine Inn”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

The Pine Inn (and attached) Il Fornaio Restauant are a great combination in the perfect setting in Carmel. They only drawback of the Pine Inn is that the rooms (at least the rooms we were in) were a bit noisy - - they were on the third floor and faced north towards the hotel's parking lot. We would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
Coffs Harbour
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Have to say hotel is in a fabulous location, free breakfast fantastic, loved the attached bakery, staff were helpful, lobby really amazing. Trouble is that this hotel was so noisy at night it was unreal. My sister had a room that is best described as a closet (21 I think), situated under the stairs and every step taken felt like her roof was caving in. She tried pillows under the door, fan and earplugs to drown out noise, to no avail. We booked our 3 night stay well in advance requesting rooms with a nice outlook but both ended up with an awful dirty roof outlook. There was a wedding party/guests booked in at the same time and they were noisy all night, room hopping, tearing up and down the stairs and screaming. My sister works in the travel industry and has slept in hotels 2-3 nights a week for over 30 years and this was the noisiest hotel she has ever stayed in. By all means drop in for a look, the hotel has the best lobby and interesting history but stay somewhere else.. so disappointing !

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank CS27
jlloyd54, General Manager at Pine Inn, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
I am truly sorry that this guests' accommodations were less than desirable. Obviously, we want all of our guests to be happy and have a quiet and relaxing stay.

My only other comment would be that if future guests encounter loud and disturbing issues with other guests that they contact the front desk. We will do our best to eliminate the noise to include moving rooms if necessary.

California
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This was our 4th hotel (3rd winter visit) in Carmel. Each year hubby attends a work conference and I tag along, we then stay a few additional nights on our own wallet. This year we decided to stay where everyone else stayed in Pine Inn rather than a place of our choosing. All I can do is compare the value here with the other places we have stayed in past years.

We were grateful for the parking lot we stumbled on behind the inn, a plus to have in Carmel. We have never been here in the summer with crowds so maybe there is more parking trouble.
Carmel is certainly NOT wheelchair friendly, and neither was this hotel. (not that many here are).
We lugged our 2 pieces of light luggage through the courtyard and up a few levels of narrow stairs.

I consider several factors in choosing a hotel, then rating it afterwards. I also try and get hotels that have character or a feel for where we are, or the type of trip I am on. In other words, when in Prague, I don't want the Hilton.

Reviews by others are very important, and we do our homework. In this case we just went where the rest of the group went, but I have to say we were far happier with a previous years choice.

Also considered are location, price, breakfast, communication.

Comfort, lighting, bathroom space, water pressure...all things that make a stay or can ruin it.

That said, the location is great, but that is pretty much so for everything in Carmel. Price was really high for what we got. Even if we were not paying for it, I didn't like spending so much. Yes the hotel is landmark and very historical. I just looked past the crooked doors and hallway that made me think I was having a dizzy spell as I swerved toward the wall each time I walked down it. I like old and quaint. That is part of the charm of the hotel. The holiday decor that was being put up was also nice.
We got breakfast in the morning which is a plus in Carmel where everything is so expensive. Maybe it is less painful to not have to find a place to eat. It had decent fare. Eggs, sausage, potatoes, fruit, breads, yogurt, real oatmeal (I always appreciate). Orange juice. Lots of coffees and teas. I don't drink coffee or tea so asked for hot chocolate (a packet?) and was told there was a charge for that. Sheesh. Negative mark. Same in the room. I don’t get why.

Communication was good over the phone and via email and in person.

The room was very cramped. We were in a standard king corner room. I had to move the two very worn corner chairs away from each other so we could both sit at the same time and not fight over foot space. We then had a shutter in our head so couldn’t open them. It was too dark to read without stuffing the bed drape behind the headboard and pulling the lamp to the front edge of the table. We had somewhat of a peek view, but again, the "other" place had a magnificent view and it was farther away. We had a hard time getting the temp right. At first the room was very cold, then way too hot. The first night the steam heater clicked/clanked and hissed all night. It wasn’t bad but strange that it didn't do it the next night. Hubby usually uses the closets so not until the second night when I looked for an additional blanket did I see how big it was, and find the hair dryer (used my own) way in the back corner, as well as iron/board.

Several previous reviews stated that they were happy, but they also got special treatment and upgrades. There is always a hope and a chance, but in our case we got what the group rate was and the group rooms. When you are in the lobby there is a screen show of the nice rooms and bathrooms. I didn’t see one like ours.

Carmel shuts down very early when we are there in the winter, thus we retire to the room for the evening after dinner. We didn't have a tv guide so with all the channels provided, had to surf and always come into the middle of shows when we found something watchable.

Just a note of warning, I will comment on noise outside- in the early am it is part of Carmel, no way around it. Delivery trucks making rounds. It would be hard to find a place exempt from that. Inside was quiet except for the noisy late arrivals who maybe were at a party or wedding and turning in.

Bathroom lost points big time. Outdated is one thing, but these were updated but not planned well. I get bugged when there is no place on the sink to put personal belongings. The coffee maker, fancy hotel soaps, etc take up what little space there is. I push it all aside, or put it in another room. No room for even the bare basics of a tiny makeup or mens kit. Lighting was OK.

The biggest problem was the tub/shower. It had one of those "rain" shower heads way up. Great for tall people, but there was no pressure, just dripping/falling water. It took me 3x longer to wet, soap, rinse, condition, rinse my hair. WAY too long. The next night I decided to just pass and not wash my hair but forgot I should have used a provided shower cap. No way to not get it all wet eventually. Actually the towel bar was inside the shower. Not a problem as they didn’t get wet. Additionally, there was a handicap grab bar on the wall. That in itself isn’t a problem usually but this one was really high. I am 5’6” and it was above my shoulder. That made raising my arms up very tight as I kept banging into it. They are usually placed lower.

All in all, we were disappointed. Actually I bit my tongue and didn't complain as we were not paying for the room and hubby (the traveler) doesn't complain about much. HE is the one who voiced disappointment.
We know there is better to choose from and will if we return again. I shouldn't have switched our reservation but the group stayed here last year and I felt we may have missed out.

Room Tip: I think we got one of their "lesser" rooms so wouldn't know
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank bjsr
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Perfect location at one end of Carmel's shopping treasures and close to the beach. The lobby is gorgeous--a landmark hotel with a great history. The staff is professional and friendly as well. Be prepared to walk short flights of creaky stairs to rooms that could use new bedspreads and window treatments. The inn is an elderly grand dame: she's beautiful, elegant, and in need of a facelift.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We returned to the Pine Inn to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We had been to the hotel over 20 years ago but since we moved back east, this was our first opportunity to return. The charm remains, they took special effort to recognize our anniversary, and our room was comfortable with a view of the Carmel bay and Pebble Beach. We love the Il Fornaio restaurant in the hotel -- such a great room -- and it was a treat to have breakfast there in the morning.

Room Tip: Great view from rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bsbs24
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Hotel was nicely decorated, they left us out a bottle of champers for our honeymoon. The bar was quite stuffy, the bar lady wasnt the most friendly. Our view from our room wasn't great, although from the bathroom you could see the sunset! We only stayed a night here and it was great to be so close to the beach and main area. Free car parking and breakfast included during the week.

• Stayed October 2012
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I looked online for a good deal in Carmel for our anniversary. The Pine Inn was the perfect location, close to the beach and on the main drag for shopping! When we arrived we were told that we were upgraded to a suite! It was fabulous, two flat screen TV's and a view of the street. Service was first class from the check in to the service at the restaurant (best bar, fabulous dinners and brunch).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple