“Great deal for great location!”
Review of Pine Inn

Pine Inn
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Montreal, Canada
“Great deal for great location!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nts. The location is super. Right in the heart of the shopping and restaurants. Make restaurant reservations ASAP since they are so small, fills up quickly (Dimitra). We went to grocery store down the street, which was quite convenient. Parking is behind the hotel and fills up quickly, so you may have to wait. The hotel is like a boutique hotel: small, quaint and charming. Keep in mind theres no air conditinong and when you keep the windows opened it could get noisy. Great shopping in the area for trendy, ladies clothes. During this time it was quite cold, bring a jacket especially during 17 mile drive. Not necessary to stay in Carmel longer than 1 nt since we would preferred to stay an extra nt in San Fransisco.

1 Thank Alissa E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My wife and I had intended to stay in the Monterey/Carmel area for one night, but we had not booked anything. We arrived at the Visitor Centre in Monterey looking for their help to find somewhere.

Before I write my review I really want to give a big thank you to the staff at the visitor centre, and to encourage people to use it. They have a room there that has colourful boards up with pictures and descriptions of lots of hotels and accomodation in the Monterey and Carmel area. Each is numbered, and you can use the provided phone to direct dial the hotel using that number. This is a fantastic service, which we used to pick the Pine Inn. They also have a book which is updated daily with prices given to them by the hotels of the rate on that day, again really good service. Thank you very much.

Having booked the Pine Inn we headed over. It is very conveniently located near shops, restaurants and a very short walk to the beach. Carmel is a very picturesque place, full of nice buildings and lots of flowers, plants, trees etc, very nice. The Pine Inn is an old building, but it has a lot of appeal because of that. There is a good size car park opposite, which is free, again a real bonus. We were greeted by a friendly lady at check in and went through that process. She was very informative and friendly, but a little over enthusiastic for me.

Having got our key she informed us that there is no lift in the hotel, but our cases would be taken up for us, which they were straight away. We had two flights of stairs to go up, but that was fine. I only mention this because it may be something to consider when choosing this hotel. Our room was large, airy and well equipped. It was plenty cool enough, with good wardrobe space. The view from the window was out over the car park area so i could easily check on the car. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and had a good shower in it. We were quite happy with the room.

We ate out at night so I can't comment on that aspect of the hotel, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance to choose from, but they are not particularly cheap. We had been recommended to watch the sunset over the beach, which we did, but I have to say it was not particularly impressive, but the beach is lovely. We had a good quiet night's sleep.

In the morning we went down for breakfast which was included in the price and that was served in a kind of conservatory area. This was lovely airy and light room just off the restaurant, and the choice for breakfast was great. There was a choice of a hot cooked breakfast, cereals, porridge, fruit, toast etc, all with tea, coffee, juices. It was a really good way to start the day, plenty of choice and variety, all well prepared. We took our own cases down to reception, but we could have got the hotel to do it, it was just quicker.

Check out was effortless. We enjoyed our stay at the Pine Inn, yes it is an old building, some of the floors are a bit creaky, but is clean, well located and suited us fine. I would recommend it to travellers

Room Tip: Just remember that there is no lift to the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lfcfan55
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Oldest hotel in Carmel. Huge charm and grand Victorian/ chinoiserie furnishings including a red/pink carpet throughout hotel. The location is in the middle of the shopping area and the real bonus is the free parking behind the hotel -- which means we didn't have to hunt for a parking place and then change it every two hours. That saved us a huge hassle.

The rooms are really old and the floors literally sloped in the the halls and bedrooms. (In 1903 mules dragged the entire hotel to its present location and the floors slanted down the hill towards the ocean) The sheets are changed every day and the carpets were washed when we we there.
They keep the old place up and we find it charming-- but wouldn't want to spend more than two days there.

Room Tip: There are two rooms with ocean views you might ask for. ....Pebble Beach at the foot of Ocean is not...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here overnight on our way to San Francisco and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is central to everything we wanted to see and do. It does not have any elevators so you must cart your luggage up and down the stairs, but this just added to the overall experience. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Our room was small, but clean and comfortable. We hit the hot spell which they tell us happens 2 weeks of every year and there is no air conditioning, but we slept with the window open and the fan on and it was fine. The restaurant on the property is absolutely WONDERFUL! We were also fortunate to book a room with credit for dinner, such a deal. We will stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

This was my second time at the Pine Inn. My first trip was about 2 years ago. I remembered that I loved the pine inn. I must have built it up in my head. This time around I would say that:

1. The location is amazing. Walk to restaurants, shops, bars etc. The beach is very close.

2. Parking. They have a close lot but I didn't get to park there until the last night. Overall this is a plus even if you don't always get to park there.

3. Restaurant. Love that l they have one. I left too early for adventures outside to eat the brunch but used the voucher to get a cup of coffee and a muffin. It used to be free brunch but now only 5.00 credit.... So I actually had to pay extra for my muffin. Again not a big deal.

4. The room was ok. I expect the decor etc. maybe adding a/c and conditioner would help. I forgot they only have conditioning shampoo and well that is nice... But the products are def. not great. Given that there are amazing local shops with amazing products... They can do better.

5. The service. Kind of friendly when i checked in but not really. A here is your key, voucher, etc. no one ever said a word to me again. No good morning. No hello etc. the nicest thing the staff did was give chocolate and a hand written weather card on the nightstand with turn down service. I love that. I suspect it is left by the cleaning staff. So thumbs up for them. The front desk could use some of that friendliness.

All being said... Next time I come to carmel (which is soon) ill stay the the Cypress Inn. The staff was super nice and friendly while dining there. So much so... I came back the next day. Simply put, good historic hotel. A few updates and smiles would make it better.

1 Thank BrantleyC
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We come to the Pine Inn once a year to relax and get away from it all! The service is excellent and the rooms are charming and very clean! It's like stepping back in time. The location is perfect! Right downtown! We walked every morning and evening. The other reason we love it is Il Fornaio, the wonderful Italian restaurant right in the hotel! There is a wonderful breakfast included in the price of the room on weekdays. They have a great Happy Hour, with delicious pizzas! We love the whole experience of being at the Pine Inn, and getting away from it all!

Santa Fe
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I realize this is an historic property and some chic shabbiness is in order, but I would prefer more modern amenities, especially air conditioning during a heat wave. I had a 3 story hike to my room. Otherwise it is well-located, has almost enough enclosed parking less than a block away and the breakfast is very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo