“Green Lantern was just right”

Carmel Green Lantern Inn
Ranked #5 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2007

I've stayed many times in Carmel, but really enjoyed it here. I read all the negative reviews, but tried it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised. It was one of the most inexpensive places I found, plus you could just stay for one night. The room was neat and a bit funky, but looked just like the picture. The location is great, the breakfast was as well. It's not Highlands Inn, but I loved it.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Kdee_7

Reviewed 21 May 2007

It was okay. That's about it. Okay.

What you're paying for when you stay here is just the fact that you're in Carmel. You're not getting much more besides, really, a basic hotel room.

My wife and I had the impression that maybe the owners are just phoning it in -- they have a great location in Carmel where they know the tourists will come regardless, so no real need to make anything special. Just turn the guests in and out, toss out some breakfast, and cash checks.

We're pretty low-maintenance travelers and don't get in a snit over tiny details. At the Green Lantern, I wouldn't say we were disappointed -- just mostly underwhelmed with what could have been a much nicer stay.

The details:

Arrival and check in was smooth. The desk clerk, a young woman, was disinterested in her job.

We arrived about 4:45, 15 minutes before the end of "afternoon refreshments" (some cheese and crackers, mostly). The desk clerk warned us she would be hauling it all back in at 5:00, so "if you want something you'd better grab it now."

I let them know we were there to celebrate our anniversary. It was even noted on the check-in form. I didn't expect a brass band, but it would have been nice to at least have someone say, "I understand you're staying with us on your anniversary. I hope you have a great weekend! You know, we normally take our refreshments in at 5:00, but since you just arrived, take some extra time and let us know if you'd like anything else. Do you need help with a restaurant reservation for tonight?" None of that.

Room was fine. Nothing special.

Breakfast was okay, nothing special. A little fruit, a wafflemaker, a casserole, some breads. Again, you're paying for the fact that you're in Carmel -- certainly not for the food.

The location, really, is very hard to beat. Short walk to the beach. Two blocks from Ocean Ave., the main drag. Easy walk to shops and restaurants. It was extraordinarily convenient.

There's some on-site parking but it's not a guarantee by any stretch.

Overall, it was fine but only because my wife and I tend not to hinge our travel hopes on hotel competence.

I would stay here again, but only if something else wasn't available. It could have been much more than it was. I hope the owners decide to try harder.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PortOregTrav
Reviewed 14 May 2007

This is a story book location. A fairy tale. We all know that Fairy Tales are: unreal . This place needs help.
The pictures on its website portray it correctly albeit retouched.
Look before you leap or book. This inn is from the fifties or may be the fourties: Dank and musty. An old saying " a picture is worth a thousand words". I will sum up in one word.; BOGAS. The setting belies Carmel by the Sea, it's chic is from another era however. The inn is quite pretty. but antique. smelly, and dry rotted.

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank windsunsurf
Reviewed 6 February 2007

We booked a room at the Green Lantern based on reviews, online pictures, colleagues' recommendation and phone conversation with management about size of room being adequate for two seniors. We arrived and found ourselves in the pictured room, much smaller in reality, (the smallest room we've ever encountered in a hotel or motel or B&B), and with barely enough space to walk around the bed, and without enough space for both our suitcases and bathroom stuff. As we'd been booked into their largest available room, we immediately went out to search for another room for our four nights, leaving our suitcases that we'd struggled to get across the lawn, in case we didnt find anything. When we returned two hours later and told management at Green Lantern that we simply couldnt use the space and had found something else, they wanted to move us to another room. Having been informed that we were in the largest one available we declined their offer and asked for a refund. They refused to refund our first night's payment, saying we had used the room for two hours (the time it took to find something else) and they couldnt rent out the room as we (one of us) had sat on the side of the bed (for a moment). While the place had a certain charm in its online pictures of rooms and its homey arrival area, we felt misled about it and cannot recommend it for these reasons. Having to do a last minute search was unnecessarily stressing when what we needed was rest and having to pay for two rooms in the same evening was annoying. Later efforts to get a refund were unsuccessful. All this could have been avoided had we inquired or they offered to tell us the square footage of the room. Never asked that question before or since, but wish we had in this case.

5  Thank 00Iris
Reviewed 21 January 2007

Travelling on Highway 1, from San Francisco to Los Angeles, my family and I stayed at this inn for only one night in December. We found it to be a very pleasant place for our purpose. More than one night would have probably become complicated as the acomodations are comfortable but a bit tight. Breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Gustavo F
Reviewed 26 September 2006

My husband and I stayed there 2 nights this past weekend, and really loved it. We stayed in the Spruce room, which has a private bathroom, queen bed, and a fireplace. The view is nice, but nothing fanastic. The breakfast was pretty good, and the service was great.

The noise wasn't too bad except in the morning with everyone getting up for breakfast (a lot of slamming doors).

It was very close to downtown, so we loved being able to just walk there instead of having to find parking.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank OneLvdShay
Reviewed 9 September 2006

generally their service is ok but I would note that the linen in my room was not changed after a previous guest and I got impression the common practice of this inn, to change linen upon request (when I asked to do so, it has been done in a few minutes). So, be careful check your linen before go to bed.

• Stayed: September 2006