“Birthday in Carmel”
Review of L'Auberge Carmel

L'Auberge Carmel
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 29 October 2013

What is the opposite of "rude"? Answer is the staff at L'Auberge Carmel. We are not inexperienced world travelers, but we have never encountered a more polite and helpful staff than the one at this charming inn. They actually make me feel proud that we found them so close to home. My hat is off to L'Auberge Carmel for making this my wife's best birthday ever.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Poor Service :(((

BE AWARE!!!!
There is a 24-hour cancellation policy for the restaurant in hotel. It is $50 per person (unless you speak with Maurine then it is $100 per person, but she won't admit to saying that because she has been there FIFTEEN years). Oh and Maurine also let me in on a little secret....depends on your excuse for canceling a reservation; sometimes they will charge you sometimes they will not. So think of a good excuse; apparently being honeymooners was not good enough.

Remember to shower with ALL windows open or else smoke alarm will go off and fire department will show up and come into your room. I believe it is common since front desk person called and immediately asked if someone was showering......

The restaurant is not worth the price. We spent $340 for two people (a cheese plate add-on and ONE beer). Much better restaurants that are far less expensive. If you like good food, dine elsewhere...if you like "the name & the high-end atmosphere" then dine in hotel's restaurant, Aubertine. They will not tell you about cancellation policy so please make note ahead of time to call and cancel.

I know this review sounds mean, but I am just telling the truth. If it helps one couple/family make a better decision on their stay in Carmel then it was worth it. I use these reviews quite often, and think it is only fair I write one for this experience. And may I add..I did try to contact hotel staff and let them make it right and they FAILED big time. I am young, only 23, and do not appreciate businesses or people in general not taking me seriously.

I have only been in the working world/customer service world a little over a year. But I already know: the paying customer is always right, apologies may not solve everything but they help, never say something that is degrading or suggests the client is a liar, and to make things right when a client has been wronged. I think "one of the best hotels in Carmel" should know these just as well as a 23-year old does.

The only good thing about our stay was the smore' bonfire on the beach and the hotel driver who drove us down to the beach. I can't remember his name, but he was one of the sweetest people we had ever met.

17  Thank Karly I
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Carmel is a very wonderful place. I never thought I could find it more so until we stayed at this hotel. The hotel is very European in its design but the rooms are modern.

We stayed for three days. It was like living in Paradise. Upon arrival, we were greeted by our names, shown to an actual desk, and greeted by very friendly staff.

We were then shown to our room where we found a hand written note to welcome us. There was a bottle of champagne and another handwritten note wishing us a Happy Anniversary.

We also ate at the Aubergine restaurant at the hotel.

If you are entertaining the idea of staying in Carmel, we highly recommend this charming and lovely hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I am a slight clean freak BUT the bathroom door was white and had a LOT of black fingerprints, I think there is an old product called Fantastic that could deal with this issue! The phone cord had a Qtip wrapped in it, I guess the good news is that it was not used. The windows were dirty both in and out. I came back to the room mid-clean one day and the coffee cups were being washed by the housekeeper in the sink, in other words not sanitized by a dishwasher, and yes she was using the same gloves she cleaned the toilet with!!! The house keeper cleaned the rugs by vacuuming my favorite shoes completely under the bed, I guess the good news is she swept under my shoes! We stayed in room 9 and we could hear the toilet flush from the room above us when we were in the bed. It just made me think if I can see all these issues what else was dirty??? Cozy, cute and perfect location goes for a long way but dirty just ruins it for me....

Room Tip: Do not get room 9
12  Thank NMeliW
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I can only echo other positive reviews. These people can't do enough for you. If you are looking for perfection in idyllic surroundings this is it. Breakfast was divine. The bar is very cosy. you could actually stay here and not go anywhere else other than a walk to the beach.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are a bit of a climb. If you have a problem climbing steep stairs you may want to req...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lullu57
Reviewed 16 October 2013

If you are in Carmel we need to book something at least as L'Auberge. It fits very well with the whole environment. It's classy, cozy, romantic, small, a little bit dusty and screechy but then you have one of the best restaurants on the coast.

Room Tip: Not much choices, but facing the inner yard is more quite
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We wanted to spend our 40th wedding anniversary in a special place and picked Carmel by the Sea. This small quaint hotel was wonderful. Quaint, but charming. Room was adorable but thee service was the best we have ever seen. Cookies and milk at night, a menu the first night in the restaurant with out names and special occasion on it. A very special place. Great valet service.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor If staying during a warm time. No air conditioning and the second story is...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple