L'Auberge Carmel
  • Pool
Wayside Inn(Carmel)
Carmel Lodge(Carmel)
View Hotel
All reviewsrelais chateauxaubergine restaurantsignature breakfastcharming courtyardturn down serviceeuropean feelcookiessmall touchesbell staffincluded in the room ratebreakfast was includedthe general managerluxury hotelpastrywonderful stayrooms are comfortablefresh fruit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Our experience was enjoyable. The service level was excellent from all the staff. The location is fabulous. Breakfast, which can be enjoyed in the restaurant or in the courtyard, was very good.

Our only complaints would be the cost (hotel and restaurant) and the wireless internet which seemed very old and would not allow access to my work VPN.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoeHSanFrancisco_CA
Reviewed 20 February 2014

L'Auberge is located just a short walk to town and restaurants, plus only 5 blocks down to the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room comfortable, but we had a loud pipe in our bathroom that was a little annoying. Breakfast came with the room which was very nice, and there was always milk and fresh cookies waiting for us when we came home from dinner.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This place was quaint and charming! A bit pricey but we'll worth it. It started when I pulled in front in my car. Someone immediately approached, welcomed me and took my keys. I was escorted inside and the check in completed. I was escorted to my room. This property is a vintage building. I was on the second floor and the steps very narrow. It is all part of the charm. I was in a deluxe queen and the room was large and very we'll appointed. The bathroom floors, tile, are heated. Both the room and bath are huge by all standards. The bath had both a walk in shower and a Japanese soaking tub. I have to return sometime to try that tub! There were both mixed nuts and caramels in the room as amenities. In the morning we had breakfast in the restaurant but in future it will be in room. I ordered a late afternoon snack, antipasti, delivered to my room and it was way too much for me but excellent. The location was excellent though we were disappointed we did not have dinner at the restaurant. There is no fitness center or pool. The rooms were very clean. The service was excellent. They did lack facial tissue, however. I will definitely recommend this to my friends, travel agency clients and family.

Room Tip: Request a second floor room
3  Thank sheilaws2
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Firstly, Carmel by-the-sea is absolutely charming! What a pretty town. We spent one night in town on our way down the coast. We had booked l'Auberge prior to leaving Australia and we were thrilled with it. The staff are friendly and helpful. Remember this is a little country town, not a slick metropolis and the service reflects this.

We were psyched up for a tiny room based on some of the reviews and were surprised by how spacious our room was. The bed was unbelievably comfortable. We'd left our charger converter in San Fran and the staff were happy to find us a replacement to use while we were there.

When we returned from dinner in town (easy walking distance from l'Auberge) they had left us milk and cookies, plus the recipe for the cookies.

We opted for breakfast in bed (seriously, this is a bed you do not want to leave) which was spectacular! Best ever scrambled eggs, chocolate croissants, toast, preserves, fresh orange juice, big pot of hot coffee, fresh fruit....all presented beautifully on a tray with white linen.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Ask for Room 21 if you're worried about room size. We were very happy campers.

Room Tip: Room 21 had window overlooking courtyard and heated bathroom floor. Ample size, comfy bed.
1  Thank cottchick
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is an amazing French-style inn in the heart of Carmel. The place obviously caters toward the higher-end tastes, with a fancy small restaurant and very personalized service. The latter is definitely the highlight of any stay, and is unlike anything I've seen elsewhere.

As far as the rooms themselves go, they're nice but you can definitely find better- especially for the money. Even at promotional rates, this place does not come cheap even as far as Carmel goes (which in general a pretty expensive place to stay). The bedroom is small but well-appointed and modern, with most modern amenities including an iPod dock, large TV, and minifridge. The wifi here has got to be the fastest I've seen at any hotel- makes it easy to stream video or do business. The bathrooms are pretty exceptional, with heated floors, a huge spa-style tub, marble-tiled walls, and a nice layout.

However, it's the service that really sets this place apart. They spoil you, no other way to describe it: free cookies and milk every evening, excellent included breakfast every morning at the Aubergine restaurant, very prompt service and bellhop, a paper on the door every morning. The valet even left bottled water in the car for day trips, and was standing outside waiting at all hours of day. They greet you when you come and go and are very well-mannered. We came to celebrate our anniversary, and they had a complimentary bottle of wine for us. We don't drink, but it was a nice gesture.

The grounds themselves are well-kept, clean, and cozy. There's a small courtyard with some tables where you can eat, and a small lounge and interior dining area. The inn itself is double-story, but be aware that the stairs going up are pretty cramped and narrow. The whole property is pretty small in general, and parking is difficult- but fortunately there's included valet parking ($30 resort fee covers this and all tips). The inn is a short walk from downtown Carmel and the main shopping strip on Ocean Ave, and a few blocks from the beach. If you plan to mostly do shopping, it's an ideal location. Like most of the inns in the area, there's no pool, spa, or fitness center. If you absolutely must have those, book a hotel.

The only negative I had for the place are that the walls seem to be a bit thin and sound carries right through them. This is probably just due to the size of the grounds and building design, which dates back from 1929. If the upstairs neighbors turn on the water, you hear it, and same if someone slams a door or drops something.

Overall, if cost is no object or you're looking to really enjoy yourself in Carmel for a few days, the L'Auberge Carmel can't be touched.

Room Tip: Courtyard king is the way to go.
1  Thank Yu-Jin C