All reviews relais chateaux aubergine restaurant charming courtyard european feel turn down service small touches cookies the hotel manager bell staff included in the room rate small hotel luxury hotel soaking tub breakfast was delicious pastry fresh fruit we've stayed
Reviewed 13 November 2015

This is another Carmel Hotel that has a lot of history - Originally built in 1930 as an apartment building, this hotel recently underwent a complete renovation. It is one of our more ritzy hotels,in facti it is a Relais & Chateaux hotel. But Carmel ritz is different than New York ritz. We have unique, quaint, cozy, and charming ritz. So with that said - the hotel is a bit expensive but it does include breakfast. The outdoor patio and indoor lobby with fireplace are very charming. I found the staff very attentive.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Lynn M
Reviewed 28 October 2015

We stayed at L'Auberge on the first night of a 12 night trip staying at 7 hotels. The first thing that struck me was the plaque behind the reception desk from Forbes announcing the hotel as one of the best 4 star hotels in the world, all with the washing and drying room on show at full noisy operation within 6 feet! Part of the charm, I thought. Our room at the front, room 9, was badly appointed with a stained and frayed carpet, the back of the swivel out TV was a jumble of wires, and the furniture dated. The room was dark, but the bed looked grand and the bathroom well appointed, if a bit grimy in places, the toffees in the room look prehistoric. There is a dressing area badly in need of decorating, the whole impression somewhat gloomy, and like a B & B with a nice bathroom. Just for the night I thought.
We didn't want to eat at the hotel so had a drink on the pleasant terrace, we had to seek out waiting staff and it was obvious from the way I was served that this was an interruption for them, no lemon or lime in g&t and no offer of wine tasting, just poured straight in, at the prices they charge this really is essential, and widely done elsewhere.. We had to have the turn down ladies in a cupboard right next to us bustling back and forth, not very relaxing. On return from our evening the room was really stuffy and hot, uh-oh no air con, an error that I didn't check on booking but expected for a 600$ plus room. Milk and cookies left out, but in that heat a waste of time. The turned down bed was wrinkled and horror- a big black hair in the bed. The manager was called and he came and brought a fan but wouldn't even look at the bed and promised to get back to us with a solution, by the time he phoned offering another room half an hour later it was late and we were tired, 11.30 ish by that time, so we stuck with it. At 6am the bin collection lorry parked outside the open window, the night had been very hot and we hadn't slept at all well. 6.30 am, the drinks delivery lorry arrived, noisy, and impossible to ignore in the small street. I'm afraid the poor young receptionist had to endure my wrath, what a shambles. I have never stayed anywhere that promised so much and delivered so little. I was promised a call from the manager but never managed to speak to him, financially we were recompensed but an apology or acknowledgement wasn't forthcoming, even though we contacted him again to discuss and give him a chance to explain. They know that this room has issues, the receptionist admitted that the early deliveries had been a problem.
The breakfast is a bit stingy, 2 eggs with pastry and fruit, anything else additional. It amused me that Julian's fruit plate (the fancy chef) was little more than cut up banana and a few berries thrown on the plate.
We subsequently stayed at another Forbes 4 star hotel which knocked the socks off L'Auberge, and other lower rated hotels which were cleaner and brighter. I'm afraid I would never recommend this hotel at this price.

Room Tip: Don't go to room 9 or any front rooms
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Anne H
Reviewed 26 October 2015 via mobile

This is a historic, charming inn and restaurant centrally located in Carmel. The rooms are lovely and the extra amenities like nut mix and toffee are special. The courtyard is beautiful and a wonderful place to work or for a late breakfast.

We had the tasting menu for dinner which was delicious: a favorite was the oyster with caviar. Extensive wine list provides flexibility on ordering. Core Breakfast is included except for extras like meats: if you are into smoked meats, they are extraordinary

Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank margaret P
Reviewed 24 October 2015

We had a very relaxed two night stay at probably the most upmarket hotel in Carmel which is saying something given the affluence of this town. If you are doing the Pacific Coast Highway drive, this is a comfortable place to stop and rest, if a little pricey. Rooms are comfortable and have good facilities and the staff are welcoming and helpful. I have two problems with the hotel. Firstly, the $30 per day charge for service that is meant to be in lieu of any tipping to staff. For what service I required from the team at L'Auberge, it was nothing more than another tax and I resented having to pay it. My second complaint is the overpriced and pretentious restaurant menu which meant we ate out on both nights of a stay (which was a bonus as we discovered the wonderful Demetra Cafe). For $150 a head, I would like to see a menu not a list of ingredients that chef will be using to conjure up whatever he fancies! The hotel is supposed to have one of California's best chefs, it's a pity that more people don't get to use the restaurant as it was pretty empty on the nights we stayed there. I suspect its daft policy on providing a menu has something to do with it! Provide a menu and price it sensibly and you might get somewhere.

Room Tip: Don't get one on the ground floor
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Neil B
Reviewed 18 October 2015

Lovely hotel a short distance from town and the Sea. The staff is so accommodating and beds were beyond comfortable! Each evening, fresh cookies and milk awaited us as we returned from a full day of adventures. We didn't have the chance to eat at the restaurant, but it was crowed each evening and the menu looked wonderful. Highly recommend this spot in Carmel.

Stayed: June 2015