“excellent food, wine and service”

Aubergine at L'Auberge Carmel
Reserve with OpenTable
Aubergine at L'Auberge Carmel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 161 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$150 - US$295
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 7th
Description: Executive Chef Justin Cogley's and Executive Pastry Chef Ron Mendoza's cooking philosophy is built first and foremost on spontaneity. With access to an array of outstanding local products as well as ingredients and artisan purveyors from around the world, Cogley and Mendoza focus on incorporating these elements into their ever-changing menus.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

great innovative dishes and a cosy place for a family or romantic dinner.. we had the set menu and celebrated my sons birthday (11) and we all enjoyed our meal and time there.

1  Thank Philios A

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great presentation. Fantastic food, inventively conceived, and brilliantly executed. Very small, intimate setting. Staff were very personable. Not snooty at all. This was not a place where you felt like you had to walk/talk on eggshells from the minute that you walk in the door. Rather, it was more like being a guest in a home where you could relax and enjoy the meail. The reserve wine pairng was, to my mind, worth the additional $$. My wife and I and had one of each (reserve v. standard wine pairing) and the reserve wines were far superior and generally better matched.

2  Thank TravelhoundPortland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A truly wonderful restaurant - hits all the marks - ambiance, food, etc. Was a totally wonderful dining experience. Well worth the dollars. Wish we lived closer so we could eat there again

1  Thank srf16
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at this wonderful jewel of a restaurant. We had the privilege of eating here and Addison (San Diego) in the same week. Between the two, Aubergine was our favorite. The staff (with the exception of the <aloof> sommelier) was gracious and warm. The food was so delightful and the flavors just popped in your mouth. It is well worth the price. (the 4 stars for atmosphere is because the eight tables are a little bit close and you could hear other conversations)

1  Thank Renee L
Reviewed 19 July 2014

It is hard to understand how Aubergine is rated only 28 in TripAdvisors for restaurants in Carmel. I'm the first to agree that I'm not an export on Carmel but I have eaten in many of the wonderful restaurants and feel that something is not working for the TripAdvisors rating system.

In any case my wife and I celebrated our anniversary and was very pleased that we got to experience the outstanding food and service. As pointed out this is a small but exquisite venue. The Executive Chief is Justin Cogley who previously worked at Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago. He has created a very unique and wonderful menu.

In my opinion there are only 2 concerns. They are the small size of the portions on the Tasting Menu and the cost of the meal. But, to our surprise we were full at the end and totally enjoyed each course with the paired wine. It is a meal we will never forget. We loved it and hope that TripAdvisors reconsiders their low rating.

2  Thank Napamel