“Wonderful atmosphere for Outdoor Dining”
Review of Basil

Basil
Reserve with OpenTable
Basil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 159 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ocean & 7th
Sacramento, California
“Wonderful atmosphere for Outdoor Dining”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was too beautiful a night to even consider eating indoors. Lovely outdoor patio, food exceptionally good. My husband tried the soup of the day, which he loved, I tried the excellent pate and, frankly, ate it all - could not bear to leave a tiny bit behind. We had been dining around Carmel all evening, next time, we stop in here for a full meal.

• Visited May 2014

Warwick, Rhode Island
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Happened onto this restaurant while exploring Carmel last August. Sat outside for drinks and lunch. Food was delicious and the staff was very accommodating. Recommend!!!

• Visited August 2013
“Excellent Experience . . . but don't be too loud. :)”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Let me explain . . . when I made our reservation for lunch for 10, they wanted to make sure we wouldn't be too loud because their establishment was rather small. They let me know that they usually seat a large group outside, but since it was rather blustery and chilly, indoors it would be. I must confess, this was a bit of a put off and I almost said, "never mind". I'm glad we kept our reservation!

Our group dwindled down to seven by the time we arrived. And yes, Basil is VERY small, much like many restaurants in Carmel. But the food was LARGER than life, and so was the service! We started with the Abalone appetizer since most of us had never had abalone. It was fresh with a delightful mix of peas and potatoes in a light cream sauce. And the presentation was gorgeous! (see pic) Basil also has an excellent wine selection.

Everyone enjoyed what they ordered. I had the Roasted Beet Salad: Belgian endive/wild arugula/goat cheese/walnuts/raspberry vinaigrette. It was VERY fresh and flavorful! I tried a bite of someone's Pulled Pork Slider and it was wonderful (braised in dark beer, how can you go wrong!).

Next time we are in Carmel we will return for dinner, hopefully on the patio. The website says they have heaters AND provide blankets - SOLD!

Visited May 2014
Carmel, California
“I'm still thinking about their food!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you're coming to Carmel for a vacation - be sure to stop by Basil. Their food is always fresh and new and their cocktails are to die for! It's an intimate venue so be sure to call ahead for a reservation. And yes I'm still thinking about the lamb....

• Visited September 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Fresh local food, imaginative cocktails”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had dinner on a Friday, made the reservation earlier that day. The service was extremely friendly, almost too enthusiastic. The food was more on the classic side with the tastes, really good but nothing really new. The ingredients were local and fresh. The drink menu was more playful with herbs (of course basil, but others as well) etc.

• Visited April 2014