“Small and quaint”

Carmel Fireplace Inn
Ranked #22 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just returned from 2 night stay I had bought on Living Social for a good price. Room was small yet clean, the walls were thin-could hear the next room. We didn't eat "breakfast" but I saw what was offered and it was continental. It is pet friendly which so many places there are--we would only stay again if price was right.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I would like to have had the opportunity to review this property itself, but due to booking situation, never will. I purchased a L.S. deal on 1/21/14, for a 'Two night stay in a King Condo of Larger Family Style Unit, Fridays & Saturdays'. I researched available rooms (needed dog friendly, & traveling with another couple, so needed two BR). One room met our needs (Dolores I). After coordinating with our friends on dates, we found that the only weekend that would work was ONE DAY past the exp. date for the voucher. I called to make the reservation, and the clerk made a call to the mgr. regarding the situation. She promptly called me back & said the mgr. couldn't honor the voucher past the exp. date. Now, here's why I'm writing this... They have already sold over 400 Living Social deals so far, and will continue selling more for the next fifteen days! I didn't do the math, but I'm not sure how they will be able to accommodate all of those reservations. They are already relatively full for most weekends between now and May 15 (expiration date for L.S. vouchers). So, good luck there.
After all's said & done, I requested a refund from Living Social, so this property will be losing out on that 335.00, plus an extra 150.00, as we would have been paying for two extra adults@ 25.00 ea. per night, and one awesome dog @ 25.00/night. (Incidentally, the regular price for these extras, if you book directly through the property, are only 15.00 per night, each. Already a little gouging...).
There are 'a lot of fish in the sea', as far as lodging goes in Carmel. We will look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DJlike2play
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Acceptable enough for 4 days (although the shower power was terrible), great location for walkability. My biggest problem was the (lack of) breakfast. Costco muffins and bagels - every day. Orange and apple slices - every day. That's it. I should have read the reviews more carefully. I expect actual food, or at least a variety, when I'm paying for breakfast. Also, the small window of time (8:15-9:30am) is too tight. I was travelling with 3 kids ages 15-22 and they needed food. I would shop around next time for more bang for my buck.

Room Tip: We chose the room with 3 beds so the teens could have their own space. One teen had the pull out tw...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Just stayed the weekend. Never again. Pictures on the internet are misleading. We stayed in room 21. Very small, wallpaper peeling off wall, and mold in the shower. The shower was dark and very small. Upon check in the front desk girl was busy talking outside with a couple. I walked right pass them and not even a hello I will be right with you...nothing...10 min. later when she was finished her conversation she came in and helped me. We asked for the sheets to be changed, even left the card on the bed...nope, never done. No clean glasses left, had to wash them myself, so we could have our coffee and water the next day. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. The room was very loud with people upstairs.Horrible rooms and service!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine482
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Check inn desk clerk needs training on how to ask questions without being offensive. Breakfast area tiny couldn't swing a cat. They served sherry there apparently at 17.00 hrs but we didn't bother too cramped. Breakfast curfew at 9.30 too early 10.00 would work better. Pictures online make it look classically comfortable but it was just cheaply twee. Good pub on the corner across the street though. Location good value for money expensive.

Room Tip: All much the same I think
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Truds5456
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Carmel has been rated the most dog-friendly town in the country and we would certainly agree. So we recently stayed here with our two Shih Tzus in Room 37 and had a delightful visit. This room is completely separate from the rest of the Inn, like a little cottage, and had a fireplace and sitting area along with two full-sized beds. There were dog biscuits waiting when we arrived. There is a continental breakfast included along with a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker in the room, so you could have snacks in your room and save on restaurants. However, there are so many excellent restaurants that are dog friendly (like Casanova) that you will want to go out. This B&B is just a few short blocks from Ocean Avenue, where all the cute shops are, and you can walk down to Carmel Beach, which is off-leash dog friendly. There is even a library of videotapes, many of which feature dogs and cats, for free use at the office. Two paws up!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Carmel Fireplace Inn is in serious need of updating. There are so many cute, trendy, updated motels and inns that have updated super successfully that they could learn from. There really isn't any reason that this place couldn't be fabulous. The location is great. Carmel is charming, quirky in places and this place could be too. The gardens and layout of the buildings are interesting and full of personality and potential.
We stayed in a ground floor "not for pets" room as we wanted to be sure to avoid the wet dog smell that could be possible in this pet friendly B&B. Our room was very small. I felt like I was in my friends RV when I was drying my hair in the bathroom. The shower is a plastic enclosure and the sink is stainless steel oddly enough. All very clean though. The complimentary shampoo is BRECK!
I give it 3 stars instead of 2 as it was super clean. Really clean. The staff was friendly and pleasant.
It did make me want to try the other similar places in town on our next stay. It won't be the Fireplace Inn until they update.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple