“Lovely, lovely place”

Carmel Fireplace Inn
Ranked #21 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a total surprise to us how lovely and well kept gem in Carmel By The Sea. The staff is so warm and thoughtful. The garden has fully blossom flowers and water fountain. We stay in the smallest room they have but still very comfortable. The hotel is actually B & B and they offer very pleasant breakfast area and good choice for free. We will definitely come back again and again.

Room Tip: Any room in this B & B will be good. I personally prefer upstairs.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at the Carmel Fireplace Inn for one night on our travel down the coast from San Fransisco to Santa Monica. Robin greeted us in a very welcoming manner and was happy to answer all our questions regarding all things Carmel. She is a bubbly, happy personality and we warmed to her immediately. We had no problem parking the car close by. The accommodation was more than adequate and met our needs. It was very clean and is situated in a very quiet spot. Carmel is a beautiful place and even after a day there it left lasting memories for us to take back home to Australia.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here on our PCH trip up from LA to SF and our first experience was when we arrived early (12 noon) . We knew we were early and just wanted to park the car and take a stroll around Carmel before checking in.
The Receptionist , Mexican or Phillipino, greeted us with "you too early you come back later" no hello or nice to see you !.
When we did check in later in the day we were greeted by an American lady and she could not do enough for us.
The room I would describe as Twee and although dated it was clean enough. Location was good - not far from the main town and there was no traffic noise.
My wife and I lunched at the Village Corner and 4 hours later we were both very sick - as we had not eaten anything but fruit in the morning it could only have been food poisoning from this place.
Unfortunately this illness wiped us out for the next 3 days of our holiday but I am in no way attributing any blame to the Fireplace Inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kempian2
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We got a living social deal here for about $90 & that's about all it's worth. The rooms are mostly small & dated with limited parking. The breakfast was a joke.... Costco muffins, this in a town known for it's bakeries. You're better off walking to town. This really isn't what I'd consider a B&B. It's OK if you are on a budget, but there are better choices in town

4  Thank tomfc
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was visiting Carmel with my daughter and we stayed at the Carmel Fireplace Inn. I had obtained a voucher from Living Social for our stay and I had called them ahead of time knowing that we were late arriving. They had left instructions for us and we had no problems finding our cottage, a block away from the office. They had left a bottle of vine and chocolates upon our arrival. The next morning I went to the office to give my voucher. The person behind the counter was very rude. There was no "Good Morning" or any pleasantries, just a request immediately for the voucher which I provided. She did not provide us with any information about Carmel and I had to ask for the map of the town I saw she had on her desk. Our checkout was equally non-pleasant. She just asked for the keys and checked again that she had the voucher and that was it. While I was waiting to check out, she was on the phone with another customer making reservations and she was equally rude to him. I did hear her exchange pleasantries with another person that checked out so I am not sure if it was the fact that I used a Living Social voucher for my stay. But, why advertise and make them available if you are going to be rude about them. The cottage itself was cute and clean but very average in terms of decor and flooring. It had three rooms, a kitchen area and a living room. It could have held 7 people. Each room had a TV. The kitchen area had a refrigerator, stove, dishes and a microwave. We never used any of them other than the refrigerator to chill our drinks. The outdoor deck was towards the sea and we enjoyed a nice break in the back reading and relaxing one afternoon between our outings. They never came and changed our towels or made the beds in the two days we were there. I thought that was odd. The breakfast was all carbs and wheat; bagels, muffins, and various quick breads. There was no yogurt or hard boiled eggs. I am gluten intolerant so I could only have coffee, fruit and juice. We actually ended up going to one of the local breakfast places to eat breakfast. There were several B&B places right around Carmel Fireplace Inn and I will likely check them out in the future if I go again. I want an overall pleasant experience when traveling.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Helix1661
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I spent one night in room 29. The room was small and a little noisy, but charming, clean and well equiped. Staff was welcoming, breakfast and wifi included, and the hotel is well located... All this for 110$ all included, it's a bargain.

Room Tip: Room 29 has no fireplace... But is quite cheap.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Pluses:
- Convenient location
- Free parking and wifi
- Everything in the room did work
Negatives:
- Noisy plumbing (get to hear other people's showers, etc)
- Breakfast: Costco bagels and muffins, coffee with half & half creamer (no milk available)- orange juice. No cereal, no yogurt- and no room. One toaster so you have to wait if you want to toast your bagel
- Would you believe no DVD player- only VCR (we had brought DVDs we wanted to watch)
- Bathroom and place in general looked run down
- People at the front desk were not gracious (had they been- would have overcome a lot of the negatives)

1  Thank Francine789