“Like a step back in time!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edgemere Cottages

Edgemere Cottages
Ranked #13 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Like a step back in time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Staying at Edgemere Cottages is just like taking a step back in time - the time when Carmel was intimate and moved at a quiet pace. My stay in the Patio Room was like visiting with Aunt Chlotilde in the 40's. The room is pleasant, unpretentious, sunny with lovely french doors overlooking a walled garden patio. I could hear the sound of the waves, smell the ocean and eucalyptus and could sleep most comfortably. Gretchen, the inn owner, makes sure you are well taken care and because she has lived in Carmel, in this same home as a child when her parents ran the Inn, she knows all things Carmel! She is also an expert at preparing delicious well balanced breakfasts and makes a fabulous cup of strong coffee. The Inn is a small distance to downtown, but definately not a small distance to the beach. A proximity which instills that slower less crowded more thoughtful pace.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank GretaGarboSeattle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We chose this wonderful spot based on Tripadvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. Doug and Gretchen are great hosts, the breakfasts were different, healthy and delicious and the dining recommendations and "where to go" in the area were excellent.

Carmel is a super, but expensive place, and Edgemere Cottages provided the ideal alternative. A short walk to the beach, good TV and internet and lots of friendly advice - what more could one want.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert C
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We have stayed at the Edgemer cottages several times. They are pet friendly ( our dog peaches is our baby) We wanted to get married without the traditional wedding extravagenza, as we have both been married once. We approached Gretchen and Doug about having the wedding reception in their gardens, which are beautiful. We had our immediate family stay at the cottages, and booked other rooms for the rest of our wedding guests. We were married on the beach, close to sunset, and it was perfect! the reception was beautiful, the gardens lovely, and our guests were casually dressed, shorts and sundresses! We had the food partly catered, and we prepared the rest. Gretchen and Doug set up and served...........WHAT A TREAT!!!! And as always, Gretchens breakfast was superb! The edgemere cottages are our "go to " special overnite trip. they are the Best!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank marylovethompson
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

We just returned from 4 nights in the Piccadilly cottage and, honestly, we were in no hurry to leave. I loved our cottage for its charm, comfort and location. It's a 10-minute walk into town but just one block off the beach. Perfect for us, especially since the "downtown" crowd can be a little over the top. The breakfast served was fantastic every morning.

My only criticism is regarding the comfort of the bed — I was a little nervous after reading a previous review, particularly since I am 7 months pregnant. And I have to say that while it didn't give us backaches or anything, it wasn't the most comfortable. (I also think the bath towels could have been bigger.) These are minor faults, though, and easy to correct.

Carmel is beautiful, and if we are lucky enough to go back, we definitely want to stay here!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank tdog17
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

This was a special occasion for my family. I took my mom (and aunt) here to celebrate a big birthday and her three year post lung transplant anniversary! My mom had always wanted to visit Carmel, so off we went and none of us were disappointed. We stayed in the Rosemont cottage and from the minute we stepped into the room, we didn't want to leave. We were ready to unpack and hang out in our new space. Everything about this place is so charming. Every little detail has been thought of. It's clean, cozy, warm, with a wood fireplace in the living room, and a gas fireplace in the large bedroom. The kitchenette was perfect too to store all our leftovers and goodies from the trip. I loved how there were books, including childrens, which was a really nice touch. For those of you who can't be without tv, you won't be disappointed. The beds were incredibly comfortable and for the first time in years (chronic insomnia) my mom slept all night long every night we were there! This really was perfect for us because my mom couldn't wander around town much so the cottage provided a relaxing, comfortable place for uthe three of us to bond and enjoy each others company. The cottage has amazing gardens and you feel like you're the only house in the area; it's very quiet and only a block from the beach! I had a great time wandering the neighborhood down to the beach and back. All the homes are unique and I had trouble picking out which one I was going to live in. If Gretchen would let me, I'd just live in the Rosemont! Gretchen makes the best homemade breakfasts ever. It was a really nice touch of pampering. And let me just say that this is a casual place; there's never any pressure to be at breakfast, or out of the room for the maids to clean, you're never bothered and when you want something all you need to do is ask, but really, all your needs will be anticipated. Gretchen & Doug were full of tourist information and never minded when we asked them to start our fire since we seemed to be fireplace challenged. They went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and were comfortable. They are truly suited for this business. They are the nicest people and I felt like I was visiting old friends. When it was time to leave, I felt that same bittersweet feeling you get when you're leaving family. Many thanks to Gretchen & Doug for their incredible hospitality and for making my mom's birthday getaway perfect. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Stay in the Rosemont. You will not be disappointed
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank samiamisme
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed in the Piccadilly Cottage and I had the best sleep of the year. Very comfortable bed and pillows. Doorway opens half way (dutch door?) so we could let the cool breezes in. Nice little gas fireplace. It is not the Ritz, but its quaint, very clean, not junky with kitsch and dried flowers like some b&b's. Several beautiful fresh flower boutiques placed throughout our room as well as mint chocolates. Great little kitchenette with tea/hot choc and popcorn, but no coffee so bring your own. Delicious breakfast in the house. Friendly, helpful hosts. Super location one block to the beautiful beach!!

Room Tip: They are probably all great rooms :)
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Family_o_fun
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

My wife and I and our 10 month old daughter stayed in the Rosemont room for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. The cottages are clean, nicely decorated and property is beautiful with narrow landscaped paths leading to the room. Our room had a fireplace as well a gas stove. And the kitchenette was great for cooking small meals since eating out with a 10 month old can sometimes be a challenge. The cottages are located very close to the ocean and a pleasant walk to the main street in town. But separated enough from the touristy areas and on a very quite street for some peace and quiet. The breakfasts served were very good and the staff went out of their way to accommodate our daughter. And they were very helpful with tips for sightseeeing, lettting us borrow tour books, etc. The price was a little more than we were used to paying but didn't seem too out of line for this type of accommodation in Carmel and surrounding areas. I would definitely recommend Edgemere for those looking for a unique and beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family