“we loved being here”

Ranked #13 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
oconomowoc, wisconsin
“we loved being here”
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I felt comfortable from the moment I spoke with Gretchen, the innkeeper, to make my reservation. Our room included a gas fire-place, a skylight and a separate kitchenette. The location, on a quiet street one block from the ocean, was perfect and we could hear the waves from our room. Our breakfasts were delicious and Gretchen was able to make several suggestions for dining, hiking, etc that really added to our vacation, We really enjoyed our stay and will absolutely return when we are next in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank fascyn8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Family operated Bed & Breakfast in a quiet neighborhood near the ocean. Clean and comfortable with friendly helpful hosts. We stayed in the Rosemont Cottage which appeared to be freshly remodeled. Couldn't have enjoyed our stay more.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank AustinWeirdness
San Francisco
Reviewed 12 April 2009

If you are looking for an oasis just one block from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, this is it. Our family met here from the East Coast, West Coast, and Europe. We did not want to leave. Great hosts. Great food. Great Accomodations. Within walking distance to Carmel so park the car and forget it. Two nice cats patrol the property 24/7

What more do you want for a getaway?

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank familyreunion2009
California
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I can't say enough great things about the Edgemere Cottages in Carmel-by-the-sea!....I initially found their website online, thought the cottages looked perfect! then came onto Trip Advisor and saw a bunch of really bad reviews. Just before I read the reviews I had contacted Edgemere about the days we wanted to stay, etc. So I emailed then back and explained the reason why we would not be staying with them when we came to Carmel - I received an email back right away saying that they would love to prove us wrong and show us that there accommodations were not what had been explained on trip advisor (keep in mind when you read other reviews that they are VERY situational and the new owners just took over not even a year ago).

So we decided to give them a chance! and very glad we did! we stayed in the Rosemont cottage....it was so magical (like staying in a fairytale!)...fire place in both living room and bedroom, vault ceilings, etc. It was so nice and relaxing! Also the bed was so comfortable - I slept so well while we were there!

The grounds outside of the cottages are really pretty also, beautiful lime trees, hummingbirds everywhere, really nice!

Breakfast both mornings was a choice of two quiches and fresh baked muffins, really nice! The mushroom and swiss quiche was my absolute favorite and when I returned home I made it....wasn't nearly as good as at Edgemere :)

All and all - we had a wonderful stay! No complaints at all. We were about a block to the ocean and about a 15 minute walk to the main street in Carmel....which was a really nice walk because there are so many beautiful homes in this area.

Give Edgemere a chance! you will not be disappointed!:)

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank SoCalGirlygirl
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed 3 January 2008

Wow. What a dump. A girlfriend and I chose to stay at Edgemere Cottages because it looked cute from the pictures (they fool you) and because the rate was decent. What an adventure it was.

The owners, Tommy and Ruth, are ecclectic - but Tommy in particular was rather rude, very smelly, and decided to butt into our breakfast one morning by telling us about how he named his cats Beavis and Butthead, how he's a "gamer," how his wife (he called her "his goddess") was at some trance dancing class, and how habanero peppers make his butt "on fire" when he goes to the bathroom. Charming at anytime of the day, but ESPECIALLY when one first wakes up in the morning.

I brought my cat - super low maintenance, it's a cat, right? - and even though they mentioned no charge on the phone when I mentioned that cat when I booked, they decided to charge me when I got there. The cottage was very dingy and dirty inside - could definitely use some TLC - and the carpet was filthy with stains on it. We found a spare key by our room and decided to try it in the lock to see if it was a spare - the lock was so dirty and old that the key BROKE OFF in the lock and they charged us half of the locksmith fee without a second glance. Seems like they were happy to get the extra money - more happy to take that than make sure their guests were comfortable.

When I left, the proprietor tried to give me a business card - I told her I "wouldn't be needing it." I won't ever stay here again, and you shouldn't either!

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank thegr8chase
Northern CA
Reviewed 21 November 2007

We stayed in the Rosemont (3 children, myself and our dog) and found the room spacious and clean with lots of nice touches (pretty linens, interesting books, charming windows and a writing desk). We loved the big bathtub, real wood fireplace (evening fire set to light upon arrival) and a newly remodeled kitchenette.

My parents stayed in the Devon and loved the brilliant skylight, clean room with its own bath and kitchenette.

We all walked around the gardens in the evening and morning - we discovered a hummingbird and many beautiful plants and statutes. The area was very quiet and we LOVED being one block from the dog friendly beach! We walked to the beach and enjoyed hours of fun and returned to the room for hot baths and hot cocoa!

The new owners (Barbara and Scott) were extraordinarily accomodating - they recommended a wonderful restaurant for dinner, served a brilliant breakfast that we adults and the children loved and helped with sticky lock on our Thule storage for the van. They were very friendly and couldn't do enough to make ours a pleasant stay.

We will definitely be returning to Edgemere Cotages!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank CATravelers5
CA
Reviewed 29 October 2007

We stayed in the Devon room, everything was clean, the rooms very large for Carmel standards, the gardens are to die for, nice little outdoor sitting areas to enjoy a glass of vino!

Very quiet, they allow dogs which is a bonus, for dog lovers and the BEST Location you will ever find, 5 mins to the white sands!

The Inn Keepers (Scott and Barbara) are the owners, they brought us breakfast every morning - wonderful sweet berries etc.
Just a very sweet couple! And eager to please you.

Finally the rooms are not ultra modern, but new toilet, & clean fixtures!
With a choice of soaps, shampoos etc, nice white towels!
If you are a beach lovers this is the PLACE TO BE.

2 Thank QueenyUK