“Great host and great location.”
Review of Edgemere Cottages

Edgemere Cottages
Ranked #13 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Look past the older style and the simple but very cosy and comfy accommodation - Edgemere has two major pluses - the location and the hosts. A family owned and operated B&B (we stayed in the patio room) where your hosts Gretchen, Doug (plus riffraff & magenta - the cats) made us feel most welcome and very relaxed so far from home. The room and property was all we needed to enjoy this very pretty - and pretty expensive - township of Carmel-By the Sea...at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 January 2010

If you are looking for quiet, cozy, intimate and romantic, this place is for you!! I seriously need to decompress and this place was the perfect place. We stayed in Rosemont Cottage and loved it! The breakfasts were fabulous and well-portioned. Gretchen and Doug were fabulous! I would highly recommend this place to my family and friends.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FitzMichelleM
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Gretchen & Doug are the Best hosts you can ask for they make the Edgemere experiance delightfull ! They are there for your every need .
Their breakfasts are Top Notch, I loved the Quiche and the Cinnamon Toast its the best I've ever had on top of that they will bring it to your cottage !!
The location is one block from the beach and in my opinion the best part of carmel .
If you really want to relax and see carmel This is the place for you!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 1sanjoseWoodchucker
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I felt comfortable from the moment I spoke with Gretchen, the innkeeper, to make my reservation. Our room included a gas fire-place, a skylight and a separate kitchenette. The location, on a quiet street one block from the ocean, was perfect and we could hear the waves from our room. Our breakfasts were delicious and Gretchen was able to make several suggestions for dining, hiking, etc that really added to our vacation, We really enjoyed our stay and will absolutely return when we are next in the area.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank fascyn8
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Family operated Bed & Breakfast in a quiet neighborhood near the ocean. Clean and comfortable with friendly helpful hosts. We stayed in the Rosemont Cottage which appeared to be freshly remodeled. Couldn't have enjoyed our stay more.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank AustinWeirdness
Reviewed 12 April 2009

If you are looking for an oasis just one block from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, this is it. Our family met here from the East Coast, West Coast, and Europe. We did not want to leave. Great hosts. Great food. Great Accomodations. Within walking distance to Carmel so park the car and forget it. Two nice cats patrol the property 24/7

What more do you want for a getaway?

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank familyreunion2009
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I can't say enough great things about the Edgemere Cottages in Carmel-by-the-sea!....I initially found their website online, thought the cottages looked perfect! then came onto Trip Advisor and saw a bunch of really bad reviews. Just before I read the reviews I had contacted Edgemere about the days we wanted to stay, etc. So I emailed then back and explained the reason why we would not be staying with them when we came to Carmel - I received an email back right away saying that they would love to prove us wrong and show us that there accommodations were not what had been explained on trip advisor (keep in mind when you read other reviews that they are VERY situational and the new owners just took over not even a year ago).

So we decided to give them a chance! and very glad we did! we stayed in the Rosemont cottage....it was so magical (like staying in a fairytale!)...fire place in both living room and bedroom, vault ceilings, etc. It was so nice and relaxing! Also the bed was so comfortable - I slept so well while we were there!

The grounds outside of the cottages are really pretty also, beautiful lime trees, hummingbirds everywhere, really nice!

Breakfast both mornings was a choice of two quiches and fresh baked muffins, really nice! The mushroom and swiss quiche was my absolute favorite and when I returned home I made it....wasn't nearly as good as at Edgemere :)

All and all - we had a wonderful stay! No complaints at all. We were about a block to the ocean and about a 15 minute walk to the main street in Carmel....which was a really nice walk because there are so many beautiful homes in this area.

Give Edgemere a chance! you will not be disappointed!:)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple