“Just what we wanted”

The Colonial Terrace
Ranked #4 of 25 Carmel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Colonial Terrace is a small off the beaten path inn down by the beach and a few blocks from town

The rooms are basic but all we needed as we arrived late and went out each day by 9am. Breakfast was good and the lobby is very nice. Staff was also great Would return

• Stayed: September 2013
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Keith O: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at The Colonial Terrace. I am very glad that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and friendly staff. I am also happy that you enjoyed the breakfast we provide for all our guests. Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This was our first stay in Carmel and we certainly weren't disappointed in The Colonial Terrace. Upon arrival the staff were most helpful, friendly and welcoming to us. I was travelling with my disabled husband and two daughters aged 13 & 4.
Gonzalo was certainly in my mind the nicest most helpful person I have ever met. All he wanted was for us to have a truly enjoyable stay, he went out of his way to help with providing information on the surrounding area and suitable activities for our girls.
The hotel although some walk from the town centre was in a beautiful aspect, and we were lucky enough to have a room that overlooked the sea. It was simply idyllic.
Our room was very spacious we had a small kitchen, dining area, well appointed bathroom and most comfortable beds. Our room was the The San Antonio suite, well worth the extra I'm sure.
The air conditioning could be turned to heat if the evenings were chilly.
Parking is a little tricky especially at busy times it seems to be a case of first come first served!
The hotel provided torches for those wanting to make the walk into town, sadly we weren't aware of that and it was a little hair raising walking in the dark with no street light!
Breakfast is served in the main reception area, a continental breakfast but very plentiful and extremely delicious. Once again though, at busy times we found it difficult to get a table, however you were allowed to help yourself to a tray and take the breakfast back to your room. Nothing was too much trouble. There were also a selection of childrens DVDs and games for free use of guests.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this lovely gem to everyone.

Room Tip: The largess suites are certainly wotrth paying that little extra when staying for longer than a nigh...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Karen T: Wow, is all I can say after reading your comments. Thank you so much for your detailed feedback on your recent stay here at The Colonial Terrace. I am elated that you enjoyed everything the Colonial Terrace has to offer and that you found the staff very helpful. I am glad that you found your Jr. Suite to be spacious and comfortable for your family. Once again thank you for all your feedback and we look forward to having you as our guests next time you visit from the United Kingdom.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Colonial Terrace was a perfect and affordable choice for our stay in bustling Carmel. Several blocks from the central area and with plenty of off-street parking, it was also in a quieter residential neighbourhood and only a block away from the long and pristine beach and the scenic drive along it. Closer to a hotel than a B & B, it offered a spacious room with a fireplace and adjoining gardens, yet still featured an adequate buffet breakfast. If there is any criticism of its quieter location it would be that a late evening walk back from town is through unlit streets, which might be scary for some guests. Great value and location nevertheless.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Alan Y: I am very delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the Colonial Terrace. As you noted the hotel is located in a quiet residential neighborhood and is only one block away from the beach. Thank you for all your feedback on your stay. I do also enjoy walking around Carmel in the evening but it can be scary with no street lights therefore, the hotel does have flashlights guests can borrow while visiting with us. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you on your next visit to Carmel.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed with our 12 years old daughter for two nights. The property is extremely clean and the location is fantastic. Unfortunately our room was located right next to the maid room and on the first floor. It was therefore very noisy with people walking on our head and the maid starting launcdry, etc... at 7am. The breakfast was good and we had a great night using the fire pit. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Second floor, away from maid area
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie-Noelle

Dear Julie-Noelle: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at The Colonial Terrace. I am happy that you found the property to be extremely clean and that the location is fantastic. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the outdoor fire pit we have here on property. As you noted, we do have a variety of rooms and each room does offer something different. I apologize that the location of your room was not ideal for your visit. Please feel free to contact me directly and I can assist you with finding a wonderful room that meets your needs.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I'm so glad that we found this hotel! Our room was spacious, no air conditioning but they were quick to provide fans. Most people in this area probably wouldn't need them. We had a room that was on the garden side, but the beach is just a short walk away. The neighborhood makes a great place to take a walk.

Room Tip: You have a choice of rooms that open to the garden, or to an ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Terra1411: I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at The Colonial Terrace and the hotel’s location. As you mentioned we are only a short walk to the beach and are located in a beautiful neighborhood. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you on your next visit to Carmel.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Location of hotel just 2 minutes walk to Carmel Beach.
+Room with king size bed very comfortable.
+Breakfast on lobby and outside terracce.
+Free Internet.
-Terrible chlorine smell in bathroom.
-No service with helping guests with luggages

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Sushi33: I am happy that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and rooms. Having breakfast in the lobby or outside on the terrace is always a great way to start the day and I am glad that you were able to enjoy the breakfast. I am sorry you were not able to get assistance with your luggage. While we do not have any bell staff, we do offer luggage assistance between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. when we have extra staff on hand. Again, I apologize you were not provided with this service. But I do thank you again for all your feedback.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The hotel setting is lovely. It is an older property, and this is what we expected. The rooms were in excellent shape and very clean. The staff was very friendly and the gardens were lovely. Very close to beach in a high end area. The only disappointment was the fog. Chilly and wet mid July, so bring warm clothes!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Wim W: I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at The Colonial Terrace and found the rooms to be in excellent shape and very clean. The staff takes great pride in their work and I am glad that you found them to be very friendly. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit from the Netherlands. (P.S. Sorry about the chilly fog…it has been unseasonably chilly. But I will work on fixing that for your next visit.)