“Highly Recommended!”

Ranked #4 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We need a place to stay while driving through Carmel on a longer trip, and the Colonial Terrace came highly recommended. From the moment we checked in, to the moment we checked out, the staff was lovely, the room was lovely, the views were amazing and the ambience was that of a more expensive Bed and Breakfast, while still being affordable and in our budget. It was also the best night sleep I have had in an Inn in a long time. We're already planning our next weekend away, and this will be the place we head to!

Room Tip: We stayed in a courtyard room and it was quiet, perfectly temperatured and the bed was very comforta...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear ADHCAN: Thank you for your stellar review on the Colonial Terrace. I am glad that you found the staff to be lovely, the room comfortable and the ambience to be to your liking. Also, I am very happy that the hotel’s beds were comfortable and provided you with a great night’s sleep. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We recently had a great visit to Carmel. When we arrived at Colonial Terrace it was late in the PM but the staff had already called me to check on my progress and offered to make alternate arrangements to pick up the key if I arrived after the office closed. We made it in time and were greeted warmly. We had a garden view room which was small, quaint and clean. The room is very close to the ocean and fairly close to downtown (minutes drive but a lengthy walk). When we arrived that night the property has nice lighting (the entire area is very dark at night) and reminded me of a Thomas Kinkade painting.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rob V.: Thank you for your feedback on your great visit to Carmel and the Colonial Terrace. I am happy that you found the rooms to be comfortable and to your liking. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next stay with the Colonial Terrace.
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We had one night here as part of a longer trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We have always struggled to find a good hotel in the centre of Carmel but this finally ticks all the boxes. This is essentially a private residence that has been extended to make the hotel. As a result it is extremely cosy and has a lot of nice homely touches. The bed was very comfortable and the continental breakfast was a pleasant surprise. The location is great - really close to the sea and only 10 mins walk from downtown. The staff are really friendly and the only reason I wouldn't rank it as excellent is that our room was very small and some of the furniture was a little tired. That aside, I would highly recommend it for an enjoyable break in Carmel

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dunwomblin
Dear dunwomblin: Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Colonial Terrace. I am very happy that you enjoyed your short visit with us and found the hotel to be extremely cozy. As you mentioned, we do have a great location and are just a short walk to downtown Carmel. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit with us.
San Diego
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had an amazing stay recently in the Colonial Family Suite. As we were driving up to the property we saw the warmness of the lights on in our suite. I was a little worried that someone was already occupying the room and I reserved the wrong date. However, as we checked in, the friendly staff told us they took the liberty of turning on the lights and heater (just in case we thought it was cold) to welcome us. They also had the crib prepared for our little one. The lobby area was warm,quaint, and inviting.

As we entered the suite, I was surprised how big it was, and found it even better and up to date than the pictures on the website. It was immaculate. Fireplace was a nice touch. The property also was well kept.

The breakfast was also very satisfying. It would have been nice to have a hot dish like eggs or a quiche, but again, it was still good with lots of choices.

It was nice to walk through the enchanted neigborhood looking at all of the beautiful homes as well as a nice stroll on the paths along the beach a block away. At night you can see several bonfires on the beach.

Most of all the thing we took away most from our stay is the tremendous first-rate hospitality. Everyone one went out of there way to make sure we were happy. We felt very pampered. They even loaned my daughter a brand new coloring book with crayons to enjoy throughout our stay. The maintenance guy also helped me with my car battery taking the negative charge off for a few minutes to help with a malfunction light. Saved me a lot of money, and more importantly, time to spend on our vacation then being stuck at the dealership.

We would love to stay again someday and would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear SanDiegoJohnnyPardre: Thank you for your very detailed review on your recent stay at the Colonial Terrace. I am very happy that you enjoyed the suite you booked and that you found it to be immaculate. We strive for excellence at every opportunity and I can see from your comments that the staff did make your stay a very memorable one. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed their stay and we look forward to your next visit with us.
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here and we loved it. Charming little place in a super charming little town. Nice and quiet, comfy bed great atmosphere. Would go back for sure. Carmel is one of my favorite towns in the USA.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Besitos22: I am very glad that you loved your stay here at the Colonial Terrace. As you mentioned, we are a charming little place in a super charming little town and I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Nara, Japan
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a lovely little hideaway on a quiet street in Carmel, a three-minute walk from the beach, an easy, short drive from the shops downtown and in the heart of what seems like an enchanted village of quiet homes and dogs on walks.

The prices have gone up here in recent years, and the ground-floor rooms aren't amazing, but the place exudes a friendly charm and ease that contrasts nicely with the souped-up tourism of some of Carmel's properties. The breakfast here is plenty good enough, the grounds are pretty, the staff is friendly and clearly trying to make you welcome and happy--and the proximity to quiet residential streets and the beach is a huge blessing.

This place allows you to sample Carmel while feeling you're in your own private sanctuary. It's seen lots of improvements in recent times, Internet connections are speedy and, having come here for more than 20 years now, I and my wife would gladly keep coming indefinitely. Here is a place that offers what can seem hardest to find in many hotels--a warm humanity and a scale that makes you feel at home.

Room Tip: Second-floor rooms are far better than those at street-level. But they can be quite pricey.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
ColonialTerrace, General Manager at The Colonial Terrace, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Spriyer: Thank you for your feedback on the Colonial Terrace. I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly and the hotel’s amenities to your liking. As you stated, the Colonial Terrace has a warm humanity and a scale that makes you feel at home and I thank you for staying with us for over 20 years! We look forward to your next visit with us, the next time you visit from Japan.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is one of the kind hotel. Very beautiful and comfortable. Definitely I want go back and stay in this hotel. It has gardens, area to relax and breakfast included. Very close to the ocean, clean and close to downtown.

Room Tip: Close to the beach and restaurants
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Marcos_Albuguer: Thank you for your feedback on your recent say here at the Colonial Terrace. I am happy that you found the hotel to be very beautiful and comfortable. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.