“Great location but don't book online!”
Review of Tradewinds Carmel

Tradewinds Carmel
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My guy and I enjoyed our stay at the tradewinds but not until we moved 2 times and had to pay an insulting additional $27.00. I booked online a partial ocean view king room with a fireplace. Upon our arrival we were given a room with no fireplace. When I questioned this they replied that since I booked on line they didn't know what I booked. After some shifting around we were taken to another room and told that we were being upgraded for free for our inconvenience. It sounded good until we got in the room to find it was an accessible room with all the necessary features if we required them. However the room was equipped differently, no shower only a tub with a very low hand held shower head, with the tv positioned to the side of the bed rather then in front. Totally unacceptable. My guy went to the desk and was charged an addition fee to move us to the room we had already paid for in full according to the website! Their website. This really spoiled my mood. We did however enjoy a fun walk to dinner, by some great shops and down to the beach. The location is within walking distance of all the sites. The front desk asked that we post to trip advisor when we checked out. Sure they regret that request!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lucydamico
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay once you got settled. I am sorry that you somehow got booked into a room without a fireplace. A good portion of our reservations are booked on-line. Once in a while, but rarely, we have a guest who books on-line and doesn't get the room desired. We always prefer to discuss the room options with guests so that we can offer you the room that best suits your needs. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and acknowledging that we have a great location!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

This Asian themed establishment was a place of total calm and tranquility. The rooms were beautifully decorated and surrounded lush gardens with water features which looked wonderful at night with the flickering of candles. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. This place is just a few minutes walk from the centre of town and provides adequate parking. Continental breakfast was a pleasure with lovely fresh produce. We really enjoyed our stay here and were sorry the leave.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

We love our British guests! You add the elegance. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

What a lovely hotel. Helpful staff, beautiful grounds, stunning room, lots of little treats to make you feel pampered. I would go again just for the toiletries alone. What a relaxing stay. A real treasure of a place.

Room Tip: I would ask for an upstairs room as the view will be better and you would not hear people walking ar...
1  Thank Wallywallis
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

We love our guests! It is You who make us classy! In a 1960s article about Tradewinds, we were referred to as "swanky". I like that!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

After moving to Carmel and finding my new home uninhabitable (water pipe leak), I needed to find a place to stay immediately. Somehow intuition led me to Tradewinds, even though I had never been there or seen the place. They were wonderful, and when they heard my tale of woe, upgraded my room to one with a spa tub. That was just what I needed--relaxation and de-stressing. The whole place just makes you feel calmer, too. There is a meditation garden with a big Buddha statue and pools of water. There is a fire pit. The grounds are landscaped beautifully, and the rooms are stunning. I wish I could live there. But now my house is fixed and I'll just stop by to visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

You are welcome to come sit in our Meditation Garden any time when you need to de-stress! We once had an author stay with us for 4 days and write her book while sitting on the bench in the Meditation Garden! Thank you so much for the review!

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights and it was absolutely perfect. After the hustle and bustle of downtown San Fransisco we wanted somewhere quiet and relaxing to unwind for a few days before heading home. What a perfect choice this was. Of course Carmel itself is a beautiful place but to find such a treasure as Tradewinds was a real bonus. Having stayed in ShangriLa Hotels across Asia we thought we had walked into their latest addition! The decor and furnishings were beautiful and luxurious and we love the asian feel this place has and it seems to exude a sense or tranquility when you sit down to relax in your room. Many smalll nice touches exist which other reviewers have mentioned so I will skip the details here. The staff were great and very helpful with recommendations on where to go and where to eat. Breakfast was a good buffet mix and anybody who is in desperate need of a cooked breakfast can head to one of the many eateries nearby, but for us the choice was more than satisfactory. It's not easy to find such well maintained and nicely thought out private accommodation like this. This is a real treasure. If we ever get back to this area again we will definitely stay at Tradewinds.

Room Tip: We had a king size room. The seaview rooms are on the higher floors and give a partial view of the s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Comparing us to ShangriLa Hotels in Asia made my day! We do try to focus on the details and offer a unique experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Highly recommend the romantic weekend. Chocolate covered strawberries, couple's massage, excellent dinner, great views, and a beautiful bouquet of flowers. The staff provided excellent service. The décor was exquisite.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the third floor facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thank you! I am so glad that you enjoyed the Romance Package! You are such delightful guests. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

From the moment we arrived in Carmel, we knew we had selected the most perfect place to stay. We got to the Tradewinds about 1PM. When we checked in, we got a very warm welcome from Susan and Sylvia. I was handed a fresh orchid. What a lovely way to begin our stay in Carmel. Our room was just about ready for us.
Mary escorted us to the room and told us about all the amenities inside. The room was beautifully decorated. The King size bed had luxurious bedding. There was a patio with a partial ocean view, a fireplace and a spa tub. It was obvious that the hotel staff went out of their way to add special touches to make each guest's visit memorable. On the table there were many treats for us. The chocolate covered strawberries were delicious. In addition, there were also small packages of all kinds of goodies to eat. The entire atmosphere at the Tradewinds is serene, tranquil and peaceful. Another staff member we got to meet was Pamela. She was the person we initially spoke with to make our reservations. She was as helpful in person as she was on the telephone. She gave us great tips on where to go and helped us select restaurants for dinner. She even took time to take pictures of my husband and myself in front of the Buddha statue. Needless to say, we just loved our stay at the Tradewinds. The staff is superb and we hope to return again next year and see everyone.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a room that has a paito, fireplace & spa tub.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
sstilwell, Owner at Tradewinds Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. We hope to see you again soon!